Menu

The Obesity Code posting by Miss Bonnie changed my life

Home The Lounge The Obesity Code posting by Miss Bonnie changed my life

•  beagler 
    Participant

I tried it, 10# down. Intermittent fasting and sugar/simple carb avoidance are useful tools. It’s still calories in and calories out. I definitely ran a deficit.

It’s hard for me to tell me wife to give me less food without insulting her great cooking or having her convinced I’m going to be malnourished. I can sneak in fasting 1 day a week easily–“sorry, too late for breakfast + oops, was too busy for lunch…”

Time will tell if these tools improve adherence with long term weight loss. I’m trying out these tools with some patients–since nothing to date has been successful for long-term weight loss.

Solo Internist, Midwest

#148321 Reply
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

Bought the book.  Still reading it.  Thanks for suggestion.

#148331 Reply
     ScientistPhysician 
    Participant

I just got the kindle version to see what the hubbub was all about. I must admit, the author does an incredible job of laying out the evidence in the form of controlled, randomized studies, observational studies, and historical observations in a masterful way that a layperson could understand.  The thesis is simple and compelling- that obesity is the result of a hormonal set point rather than energy imbalance. The prose is simple and easy to digest (pun intended). For $10, I could easily recommend this.

#148360 Reply
     Molecularblonde 
    Participant

Great job white beard doc.

The book sounds very compelling.

#148366 Reply
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

i’m having more and more trouble understanding what i can eat quarter of the way through the book.

🙂

#148430 Reply
    Liked by Craigy
    White.Beard.Doc White.Beard.Doc 
    Participant

i’m having more and more trouble understanding what i can eat quarter of the way through the book.

🙂

Click to expand…

After reading Dr. Fung, I started on a pretty simple plan.  Eat lots of protein, fish, seafood, chicken…  Fat is ok.  Carbs are not.  No sugar, no bread, no rice, no pasta, no potatoes.  As far as fruits and vegetables, I used the pictures on dietdoctor.com and posted the simple pictures on that web site in our kitchen.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits

The pounds flew away even though I ate as much as I wanted, no calorie restriction, just carb restriction.  Instead of snacking on bad stuff, we put out bowls of different kinds of nuts in our kitchen, pecans, macadamia, and almonds.  My BMI is around 23, and loving it.

#148654 Reply
    Liked by joeblo
     ko 
    Participant

Click to expand…

After reading Dr. Fung, I started on a pretty simple plan.  Eat lots of protein, fish, seafood, chicken…  Fat is ok.  Carbs are not.  No sugar, no bread, no rice, no pasta, no potatoes.  As far as fruits and vegetables, I used the pictures on dietdoctor.com and posted the simple pictures on that web site in our kitchen.

The pounds flew away even though I ate as much as I wanted, no calorie restriction, just carb restriction.  Instead of snacking on bad stuff, we put out bowls of different kinds of nuts in our kitchen, pecans, macadamia, and almonds.  My BMI is around 23, and loving it.

Click to expand…

How drastic is your carb restriction?

#148825 Reply
    White.Beard.Doc White.Beard.Doc 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

My carb restriction was quite strict for the first month.  I did not eat the very high carb foods at all.  And as far as plant based foods, I stuck to the lower carb fruits and vegetables.  Since the low carb approach was so effective, after the first month I liberalized as far as fruits and vegetables, eating the higher carb ones more liberally.  But I continue to completely avoid potatoes, rice, bread and pasta.

#148879 Reply
     beagler 
    Participant

Anyone read the recent Lancet article? Possible higher mortality with extremes of high or low carb diet:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(18)30135-X/fulltext

How about advising a balanced, mild calorie-restricted diet + avoiding sugars and processed food + moderate exercise +/- intermittent fasting? Nah, that wouldn’t make the news, nor sell books, nor cause immediate gratification rapid weight loss…

Solo Internist, Midwest

#148902 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, ADCS, Anne
     AlexxT 
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Anyone read the recent Lancet article? Possible higher mortality with extremes of high or low carb diet: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(18)30135-X/fulltext How about advising a balanced, mild calorie-restricted diet + avoiding sugars and processed food + moderate exercise +/- intermittent fasting? Nah, that wouldn’t make the news, nor sell books, nor cause immediate gratification rapid weight loss…

Click to expand…

1.  This doesn’t appear to be a randomized prospective study.  So, not reliable.

2.  Was the data adjusted for the fact that people on a low carb diet probably have multiple other risk factors, which is why they are on the diet to begin with? I think not.

3.  One article doesn’t prove anything

How about advising a balanced, mild calorie-restricted diet

Click to expand…

The whole point of these diets is that most people are unable to maintain diets that simply restrict calories.  Instead, the theory behind the low carb or low glycemic, or in this case, low-insulingenic diets, is to prevent hunger, which leads  naturally voluntary calorie restriction.

Telling people to eat less is about as helpful as telling people to breathe less.   They can do it, but no matter how motivated, only for so long, before their brains force them  to breathe/ eat.

Being condescending to people who are overweight might make you feel superior, but it as reasonable as telling people that their hypertension is due to their attitude.

Doctors used to blame asthma on anxiety and on poor parenting.  Autism was blamed on “cold, distant mothers”.  Obesity is not due to people willfully overeating.  If it was, then all the dieting programs would work.  People work very hard to lose weight, only to gain it back.  Do you really think that’s all due to stupidity and laziness?

#149024 Reply
     beagler 
    Participant

Anyone read the recent Lancet article? Possible higher mortality with extremes of high or low carb diet: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(18)30135-X/fulltext How about advising a balanced, mild calorie-restricted diet + avoiding sugars and processed food + moderate exercise +/- intermittent fasting? Nah, that wouldn’t make the news, nor sell books, nor cause immediate gratification rapid weight loss…

Click to expand…

1.  This doesn’t appear to be a randomized prospective study.  So, not reliable.

2.  Was the data adjusted for the fact that people on a low carb diet probably have multiple other risk factors, which is why they are on the diet to begin with? I think not.

Click to expand…

The whole point of these diets is that most people are unable to maintain diets that simply restrict calories.  Instead, the theory behind the low carb or low glycemic, or in this case, low-insulingenic diets, is to prevent hunger, which leads  naturally voluntary calorie restriction.

Telling people to eat less is about as helpful as telling people to breathe less.   They can do it, but no matter how motivated, only for so long, before their brains force them  to breathe/ eat.

Being condescending to people who are overweight might make you feel superior, but it as reasonable as telling people that their hypertension is due to their attitude.

Doctors used to blame asthma on anxiety and on poor parenting.  Autism was blamed on “cold, distant mothers”.  Obesity is not due to people willfully overeating.  If it was, then all the dieting programs would work.  People work very hard to lose weight, only to gain it back.  Do you really think that’s all due to stupidity and laziness?

Click to expand…

Whoa there, no offense nor condescending tone meant. I don’t think zero carbs is the magic answer. Where is the randomized controlled study that proves we should recommend that?

I suggested balanced, mild calorie-restricted diet + avoiding sugars and processed food + moderate exercise +/- intermittent fasting. I think Dr. Fungs book is about the same advice. He did not advise zero carbs. I did not recommend “just eating less”–we all know how hard that is.

I think sugar and processed carb avoidance + intermittent fasting are useful tools. I read the book and tried these 2 tools and lost 10#. Did you read the book by chance?

Solo Internist, Midwest

#149034 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Whoa there, no offense nor condescending tone meant. I don’t think zero carbs is the magic answer. Where is the randomized controlled study that proves we should recommend that?

I suggested balanced, mild calorie-restricted diet + avoiding sugars and processed food + moderate exercise +/- intermittent fasting. Not just eating less–we all know how hard that is.

I think sugar and processed carb avoidance + intermittent fasting are useful tools.

Click to expand…

Lots of lifestyles can work, diets certainly dont seem to. What doesnt work is the american diet. Totally agree that processed and sugar loaded foods help create over eating and hunger. That makes everything worse. What is a diet in the end except for consistent fasting?

We live in a world of abundance and theres so much flavor out there, its really hard. If you find something that works for you, great. Use it to your benefit. It probably wont work for everyone. I sometimes gain a bit of weight when im over eating, and then I buckle down, I think thats normal. It gets harder every year, also normal.

I heard someone on joe rogan talking about a somewhat restricted but normal diet during the week, and eating more generously on the weekend. I think I’ll adapt to that one myself, enjoyable and probably easy to integrate. Cant over do it of course.

#149045 Reply
    Liked by artemis
     ko 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

My carb restriction was quite strict for the first month.  I did not eat the very high carb foods at all.  And as far as plant based foods, I stuck to the lower carb fruits and vegetables.  Since the low carb approach was so effective, after the first month I liberalized as far as fruits and vegetables, eating the higher carb ones more liberally.  But I continue to completely avoid potatoes, rice, bread and pasta.

Click to expand…

I’m trying to determine if I’ve got the fortitude to completely cut out rice, bread, and pasta…not sure I do at this point. I wonder how effective this diet/approach would be with cutting down on these carbs without eliminating them completely. Guess there’s only one way to find out.

#149049 Reply
     Anne 
    Participant

I read the book (actually I listened to it on audible–I did not like the tone of the narrator but found the content interesting).  There was mention about how societies that traditionally eat a ton of rice have traditionally had very low rates of obesity, and obesity in those societies has increased with increased sugar and wheat intake.  So if you can’t give up rice, bread, and pasta, maybe focus on giving up processed wheat products and added sugars first?  I have switched to edamame pasta and actually prefer it to regular pasta.  My rule for desserts is that I can have it if I make it from scratch.   No prepackaged cookies, cakes, ice cream etc.  I did these things long before reading the book and have found them effective.   I guess I naturally do intermittent fasting too, although I don’t follow a set schedule for it.  I would like to trial a longer fast just to see how I handle it mentally–e.g. 24 to 48 hours but I have not had the willpower to make it through the hunger spells of that while at work and still keep my patient game face on, and don’t really want to do it during a weekend or vacation.

#149088 Reply
    legobikes legobikes 
    Participant

Oh man, your rule about making it from scratch would backfire for me; I make Ghirardelli brownies extra chewy, and I can finish the pan in a day.

#149098 Reply
    Liked by Anne

Reply To: The Obesity Code posting by Miss Bonnie changed my life

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

you're currently offline

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear