Menu

The Obesity Code posting by Miss Bonnie changed my life

Home The Lounge The Obesity Code posting by Miss Bonnie changed my life

• White.Beard.Doc White.Beard.Doc 
    Participant

I am posting this impassioned shout out of thanks to Dr. Bonnie. She posted several months back about Dr. Jason Fung’s book The Obesity Code, on how to easily maintain a healthy weight and it has very simply, changed my life.

For many years I have been exercising vigorously 6 days a week, and I eat healthy foods.  Despite all that, I gained about 1 pound a year for much of the last 20 years.  Not long ago, my abdomen had taken on just a bit of that nice round shape that is prevalent among the majority of men of a certain age in the good old US of A.

So based on Miss Bonnie’s thread here on the forum, I read Dr. Fung’s book and cut down on the higher carb foods. The extra pounds just effortlessly melted away, without ever feeling hungry or craving more calories, despite eating as much as I want of all the other things that I love.

I now again weigh what I did in college.  The abdomen is flat, scaphoid as we say when documenting the physical exam (at least when lying supine) and I feel absolutely great.  The downside is I had to go out to buy new pants and belts.

Deepest thanks to Dr. Bonnie.  Wow!

CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

All controversy aside from a calorie=a calorie, congrats! It’s nice to make progress on something that we’re reminded of every day!

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#147606 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
     wideopenspaces 
    Participant

I’m glad you found something that worked for you! Someday when I have leisure time that is not spent forcing my 1 yo to get off the kitchen counter, I’m going to read that book!

#147615 Reply
    White.Beard.Doc White.Beard.Doc 
    Participant

A calorie is a calorie.  Absolutely true.

However… what is different about what I learned in the obesity code is that the appetite and the craving of more calories melts away when you follow Dr. Fung’s advice.  That was the revolutionary aspect of his book for me.  In the past, even if I was busy doing something fun or interesting, my body would be craving food and I would need to stop and go eat.  Now I eat when I feel like it, not when my body says I have to stop and eat.

#147644 Reply
    Liked by Craigy
     RosieQ 
    Participant

The book is about low carb but also with a heavy emphasis on intermittent fasting. It has made a big difference for me as well since I saw the posting. Thanks for the tip!

#147650 Reply
     MRD 
    Participant

Great Job!

I have not read it, by wife did. We both have adopted a low-ish carb diet in Jan 2018. She has lost a considerable amount (close to 30 lbs) and I have lost 42 lbs as of today. I cut out all my processed crap I was eating (candy bars, chips,etc) and tried to work also on my stressors–my biggest issue is when on call and tired-I use to eat junk, but not anymore. I also skip breakfast, so I eat 2 meals a day, plus some nuts here and there.

Anyway, good job and keep it up.

Dusn 
    Participant

Nice. What worked for me was a diet of vegetables, nuts, beans, lentils, Greek yogurt, fruit, and olive oil. Lost weight, lowered my cholesterol and feel great. Sometimes my bowels can get unhappy if I overdo the beans and lentils but I tell them that I’m saving them from colon cancer.

#147671 Reply
    Liked by Firefly
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

The trick is finding something that works for you, and this did so its great. You dont have to be evangelical or believe its the next cross fit. Im vegetarian and try to not eat too much processed or sugary stuff, it works for me but I know it isnt the perfect diet. The best diet is a lifestyle you can live with, and hopefully after a while not even think about, its your normal. Same for fitness, find what works for you. Everyones different.

#147738 Reply
    Craigy Craigy 
    Participant

Fasting really works for me.

I find that trying to cut a few hundred cals per day, every day, is fairly difficult to sustain.  Even if I can keep my own habits under control, there’s always some holiday, event, birthday celebration, or just family meal time that wrecks it.  And trying to tell any of the old ladies in my life that I don’t want to eat something is just a horrific experience.

Historically I have fasted for religious/personal challenge purposes but never really for weight loss.  Recently I’ve been fasting here and there for weight loss and it definitely works, super simple, super easy.  And I strangely enjoy the challenge aspect of it.  Fasting has been pretty trendy lately but it may have been Miss Bonnie’s post that brought it to my mind. THANKS MISS BONNIE.   😀

LEVEL 1 WCI FORUM MEMBER.

#147775 Reply
     treesrock 
    Participant

Whoa, thats pretty crazy, I was just thinking about that post the other day.  Maybe I’ll have to read this book after all.  Will get to it after I finish Kitchen Confidential.

#147787 Reply
    Miss Bonnie MD Miss Bonnie MD 
    Participant

Wow pretty awesome :). So glad it worked for you.

One thing I like about IF is that it’s great for busy ppl – I don’t have to think about breakfast most days! I still have my 1 cup of joe with light cream.

I am losing weight too, I may even reach my goal of being pre-baby weight by the time the LO is 12 months.

“Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. (S)he who understands it, earns it ... (s)he who doesn't ... pays it.”

http://missbonniemd.com

#147791 Reply
    wonka31 wonka31 
    Participant

I’m glad you found something that worked for you! Someday when I have leisure time that is not spent forcing my 1 yo to get off the kitchen counter, I’m going to read that book!

Click to expand…

Be happy it’s only the kitchen counter right now. Speaking from experience, things will be much worse for you much too soon!

#147819 Reply
    triad triad 
    Participant
    A calorie is a calorie. Absolutely true. However… what is different about what I learned in the obesity code is that the appetite and the craving of more calories melts away when you follow Dr. Fung’s advice.

Click to expand…

yes, so true.  eating some fatty brisket and sausage will fill you up much more quickly then the equivalent number of calories in white bread.

#147846 Reply
     NephronDon 
    Participant

Just finished reading The Diabetes Code. Very holistic approach to learning diabetes. In medical school 1992, I had 1 month course in nutrition, clearly lacking. Our approach to obesity and prediabetes/diabetes is frankly suboptimal. Trying to introduce avoidance of refined carbs and added sugar to my family. Currently, vacationing in Orlando where soda, frozen ice drinks, and refined sugary snacks/treats everywhere to be seen. at the theme parks. It’s hard to avoid the incessant marketing of the food industry.

#148269 Reply
     StarTrekDoc 
    Participant

Congrats White beard!  Old dog, new tricks 🙂

-like Zaphod said, finding a diet that one fits and can stay on is the key to long term success and minimize recidivism.

I do largely agree with the calorie:calorie methodology.   That said, there’s something baked into some folks DNA that causes cravings on carbs more than others and is exacerbated by a constant exposure to them.   I see it even in the artificial sweeteners.  The body senses these triggers and kicks into some vicious cycle of wanting even more carbs.   That is why the old CW of 5 small meals could worsen the attempts to calorie restrict and go against a person’s system.

Intermittent fasting coupled with staying away from artificial sweeteners and breaking the carb cycle does work a for a good subset of our population — and as Miss Bonnie pointed out — fits a lot of folk with busy, out of work/life balance schedules.

#148273 Reply

Reply To: The Obesity Code posting by Miss Bonnie changed my life

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

you're currently offline

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear