Menu

The Irony of Being A FLP (Frugal Little Pig)

Home Personal Finance and Budgeting The Irony of Being A FLP (Frugal Little Pig)

• fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant
    1. Kamban wrote:

So those guys who cut their own hair, what do you use to perform the deed.

Is there a Chevy option and a Rolls Royce option and one does a better job than the other?

Click to expand…

Wahl clippers. Comes with 5 comb guards I use them all. I cut my dads hair also, I’m pretty good.

#207332 Reply
    IntensiveCareBear IntensiveCareBear 
    Spectator

fatlittlepig wrote:

Click to expand…

Wahl clippers. Comes with 5 comb guards …

Click to expand…

Yeah, I use the same… basic $20 Wahl clippers set (mine has number 1/2 through 8 guards), handheld mirror to see the back… and trimmer and razor for manscaping.

I don’t do it to save money… $15 bucks is nothing (<$400/yr). I do it to save time. You’d still need to trim/manscape and shower/shave after anyways (Great Clips ain’t gonna do that!).

It takes me 45-60min tops to do my head-to-toe trim and shower bi-weekly. No way I could go to Cost Cutters, wait, get haircut, go back home, do all the rest, and shower in that time.

…unless you have medium or long fancy lad hair (pomp, undercut, etc) like Bryce Harper, there is just no reason to get pro haircuts… and for those pretty styles, the haircuts will usually be $25+ and might require appointments or long waits. They look cool if you’re a 22 year old hipster with an artsy job or bartender gig and time+cash to spare, but no thanks in my case. Even the few guys who pull off longer hair well would usually be just as attractive or more with short (inverse is true for women… Pink, if she were a regular person, would probably be hotter with curly hair past her shoulders than with the dyke spike, but that is her image and her choice).

Any short and basic male style like crew, buzz, Princeton, Caesar, etc is easily done yourself, though… and 99pct of guys look as good or better with short hair (more masculine and professional, more acceptable at most jobs, less cost, scant styling time and products, minimum hassle, doesn’t get messed up easily at sports or bed head, etc etc etc). Guy friends and I used to cut each other’s hair back in undergrad to save money, but we quickly realized it was real easy to do by ourselves without going to the next dorm or waiting for our roommate to get home. It is not hard, and if you screw it up, it grows out fast… you can always fix it or go have it fixed for $10 at a shop. I’ve stuck with it ever since, but now, it’s just for efficiency… money honestly doesn’t play a factor at all. Like Zaphod said, even on the blue moon where I do stop and get a store haircut (typically on vaca or date across town, etc… def less then once yearly), I usually find I still need to fix the fade or ear trim, etc when I look at it later anyways. GL

"Hmm, that sounds risky." - motto of the middle class

#207338 Reply
    Participant

My wife saves through her auto TSR/Keogh. As a total amount it’s the same as I save, but because she earns more than me, it’s a lower percentage. I’m the frugal pig of the family. I too cut my hair, bought my first iPhone 4 two years ago, have never had a new car, still use an Art Deco wardrobe that my mother bought at a garage sale when I was 1, 47 years ago. If my wife hoarded money and invested like me, I think we’d be nearing high 7 digit net worth, but because she says “yes” to spending we are about 2/3 that. I’m Ok it’s this, and I think life is better. Is better a necessity, no but it is better. Yes to vacations, yes to eating out, yes to charity, yes to solar panels, yes to monthly facials/massages, yes to personal trainer, yes to clothes, yes to shoes, yes to her traveling CME and yes to her traveling 1/2 marathons with her friends. It drives the economy and ameliorates that damage the soul takes working in medicine(at least for her). I wouldn’t mind if my kids of 9 and 12 529’s were super funded, alas that’s what is taking the hit.

#207343 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus
    Regarding haircuts, i have short hair, i have been cutting my hair for many many years and have gotten to the point of doing it in 5 minutes which is about the time it would take to get into the car to drive to a barber.

Click to expand…

Only way to cut in 5 min inclusive of cleanup:

#207355 Reply
    Participant

shower bi-weekly.

Click to expand…

Now we’ve gone off the deep end!

(j/k, I know that’s out of context)

#207424 Reply
    Participant

No need to worry about cutting it in back:

Image result for doctor mullet

#207432 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant
    Regarding haircuts, i have short hair, i have been cutting my hair for many many years and have gotten to the point of doing it in 5 minutes which is about the time it would take to get into the car to drive to a barber. 

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

False!  You forgot the suck cut

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#207447 Reply
    Liked by MaxPower
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

False!  You forgot the suck cut

Click to expand…

Meh, same thing.  🙂

#207461 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

I read an article years ago by some actress/model, I can’t remember who she was but she had beautiful hair.  And in the article she said something to the effect of “I actually cut my own hair, I just put it in a ponytail and cut across and I get perfect layers”.  Hahaha, I didn’t fall for it.

#207547 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, snowcanyon
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

I have the same as icb. It takes me 18mins and i know exactly what I want, plus theres other things to do. I did the dog a couple times but takes too long, he gets groomed.

#207644 Reply
    Participant

i need to start cutting my own!

#207647 Reply
    Liked by Kamban, Lordosis
    childay childay 
    Participant

Just got back from the barber shop 🙂

Also paid for the “best wash” on the way home at the automatic carwash place.  Gotta splurge every now and then

#207849 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

I actually took the plunge with the Wahl clippers despite vowing to the contrary.  Just did my 3rd cut.  I think each one has looked slightly better.

Not that I’m doing professional quality work, but with a couple of mirrors, it isn’t that hard to do what I was paying Great Clips $13 to do.  Regardless of cost, I’d rather do it myself to reduce time and hassle.

But the nice thing about it is that I feel a lot more comfortable making minor tweaks myself than asking a stylist to do it.  I’ve been doing all of these cuts right before I have a prolonged break from work to minimize the risk of screwing it up (the first one I kind of did screw up, but it was right at the beginning of a 2 week break from work, and by the time I got back, no one really noticed).

#230457 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

I actually took the plunge with the Wahl clippers despite vowing to the contrary.  Just did my 3rd cut.  I think each one has looked slightly better.

Not that I’m doing professional quality work, but with a couple of mirrors, it isn’t that hard to do what I was paying Great Clips $13 to do.  Regardless of cost, I’d rather do it myself to reduce time and hassle.

But the nice thing about it is that I feel a lot more comfortable making minor tweaks myself than asking a stylist to do it.  I’ve been doing all of these cuts right before I have a prolonged break from work to minimize the risk of screwing it up (the first one I kind of did screw up, but it was right at the beginning of a 2 week break from work, and by the time I got back, no one really noticed).

Click to expand…

Nice.

#230461 Reply

Reply To: The Irony of Being A FLP (Frugal Little Pig)

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear