Menu

The Irony of Being A FLP (Frugal Little Pig)

Home Personal Finance and Budgeting The Irony of Being A FLP (Frugal Little Pig)

Participant

Actually, somethings are a matter of pride. No reaso to pay someone anything. “I can do this myself “ (not always accurate).
    Other things screw it. Don’t even care to shop for a deal.
    Do you want to stay in Motel 6 or the all inclusive resort on vacation? What is cheapest is no longer the objective. I still pick the cheapest flight on the way down, best time on return. Screw the cost. Old habits are hard to break. Until you say screw it. Wife doesn’t care.

#207004 Reply
    Participant

Non-stop flights ….that’s my ticket

childay childay 
    Participant

Recently started going back to the barbershop, they do a better job than my wife (sorry dear).  Not sure I could shave the back of my neck myself..

Strongly considering outsourcing the yardwork.  Only so much free time in our schedules.

Certainly take advantage of free lunch at work.  That adds up over time..

#207006 Reply
    Participant

Lawn mowing is the main exercise I get. I even try and not engage the self-propel mode except up steep slopes. I also get the 4-step fertilizer pack for about $60 at ACE hardware when it is on sale and use that year round. Does a much better job than the TruLawn and other lawn care people’s sprays that cost 3 times as much.

I used to cut my own hair when I was single. But now I go to places like Supercuts or a hair academy. With a $3 tip it is still only $10 every 3 months.

Don’t go much to hospital and hence no free food, except when reps come to office. Besides, the vegetarian options in the hospital stinks.

I spend more time procrastinating on a $10-20 purchase at Amazon, comparing products and reading reviews. But I freely spend $100-200 on others without too much thought. Don’t know why it is so difficult to spend money on oneself.

#207008 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

What do you do to make them spicy? I grow peppers and make all kinds of spicy stuffs…hot sauce salsa, candied peppers, syrup, etc….

#207009 Reply
    Participant

What do you do to make them spicy? I grow peppers and make all kinds of spicy stuffs…hot sauce salsa, candied peppers, syrup, etc….

Click to expand…

I used to eat a lot of spice in the past but have cut back much. Unable to handle spice as I age.

We use Indian or Thai green peppers or sometimes dried red chilli peppers ( either the long ones or the small round ones). Even the Habanerp is too much for me. On many occasions I de-seed the hot peppers and just use the outer skin.

#207010 Reply
    Liked by adventure, Zaphod
    Participant

I end up saving money because I tend to like simple things (e.g. I much prefer running to more expensive sports…I used to like cycling and have a couple nice bikes but a series of cycling deaths/hit and runs in my city made me so nervous every time I went out for a ride I stopped enjoying it…I like my own cooking at home better than 90% of restaurants, provided I have time…I like hiking, playing with my dog, playing rummi-q and scrabble with my husband and friends, etc). If I want to do something more expensive I do it…but I tend to gravitate to things that, even if the materials are $$$, they take time to master so it still takes time to use up that $. And I like to spend a lot of my free time just thinking about stuff, which is free.

I also really like minimizing hassle. For example, bringing leftovers to work every day=zero hassle. Going to the cafeteria or a restaurant midday, waiting in line or for an order, striking up small talk with people I will invariably run into there in the time when I can just think after a morning of talking to patients (not that I don’t like talking to patients, I just need some time to recharge before the afternoon), not liking the options that day, etc=hassle. I love my hairdresser but many others love her too so it can be a wait to get in if I forget to book in advance. So I wish I could cut my own hair but I’m not that brave. My husband cuts his when he doesn’t have time to go to the barber and does a good job, he offers to do mine too but I’m definitely not that brave.

If I want something/want to do something I have no problem spending the money. And when I don’t want to do something I’m more than happy to pay someone to do it for me (especially since those tend to be the types of things I would do poorly/inefficiently anyway), but I don’t spend it just because I can.

#207012 Reply
    Participant

Kamban, my mom also loves lawn mowing for the exercise/stress relief/productive outdoor time. She used to get upset if she came home from a weekend shift to find that my dad had mowed the lawn for the week. I didn’t get that gene, but I like other forms of yard work.

#207015 Reply
    Liked by Kamban
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

I have never mowed a lawn in my life (53) and do not plan to start now. If I mowed my own lawn , I could save about $700/year. I can work one shift and (after taxes) cover 2+years of lawn mowing service, and that is worth it to me. In addition, I eliminate the risk of injury (I have seen gruesome eye and foot injuries) and do not have to own, maintain, or power a mower.

This competitive frugality thing gets old after a while. At some point, any additional money saved gets piled onto the nest egg and will likely benefit the children more than the earner. In my case, the kids already have enough of a leg up.

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

I do agree to some extent about the set point with spending. But I do pay for a house cleaner, lawn service, the convenience of a nanny over daycare . . . Mostly things that give me more time with my family, rather than just things.

#207020 Reply
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

I will scrub a bathroom over playing golf any day of the week.

Click to expand…

Blasphemy.  I thought we were meant for each other, but clearly you were just teasing me all this time.  🙂

Are we talking about cleaning other people’s bathrooms or just our own?  I’ve been wiping my kids pee off the bathroom floor for more than 12 years and i am sick of it.

q-school q-school 
    Participant

I have never mowed a lawn in my life (53) and do not plan to start now. If I mowed my own lawn , I could save about $700/year. I can work one shift and (after taxes) cover 2+years of lawn mowing service, and that is worth it to me. In addition, I eliminate the risk of injury (I have seen gruesome eye and foot injuries) and do not have to own, maintain, or power a mower.

This competitive frugality thing gets old after a while. At some point, any additional money saved gets piled onto the nest egg and will likely benefit the children more than the earner. In my case, the kids already have enough of a leg up.

Click to expand…

This x 100000

#207024 Reply
    Participant

I will scrub a bathroom over playing golf any day of the week.

Click to expand…

Blasphemy.  I thought we were meant for each other, but clearly you were just teasing me all this time.  🙂

Are we talking about cleaning other people’s bathrooms or just our own?  I’ve been wiping my kids pee off the bathroom floor for more than 12 years and i am sick of it.

Click to expand…

Haha–my grandfather loved golf and played almost daily into his 90s.  He used to take me as a kid up into my 20s.  It was awful.  I loved that man but what a stupid stupid game.  I inherited his clubs and will never get rid of them…maybe someday it’ll click.

Own bathroom only.  No kids.  Only a husband and he has good aim.  When I’m using my nephews’ bathroom I can’t believe what little slobs they are…their cuteness is deceiving.

Participant

Vagabond – I want to live where you are. I pay around $300/month (!!) which includes fertilizer and sprinkler system maintenance. Seems pretty much going rate in my area.

#207026 Reply
    Liked by Vagabond MD
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

Quit eating the food in the lounge because I realized I was never going to lose any weight that way.

Tried cutting my hair in college. Had to shave my head. Never again. So now I pay $10 every 6 weeks.

I wish I could figure out a good way to cut my cat’s fur. It would cost $200 to take her to the vet and snow her for it, and she won’t let a groomer touch her. I could do it if I had 3 hands.

Really wish I were a better bike mechanic. If I could fly somewhere for a week to take a crash course and get certified so I never have to go to a bike shop again I’d sign up in a heartbeat.

#207032 Reply
    Liked by RocDoc

Reply To: The Irony of Being A FLP (Frugal Little Pig)

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear