Menu

the fifth risk

Home General/Welcome the fifth risk

• q-school q-school 
    Participant

anyone read it yet?  it’s fascinating.  what happened to the book club that was getting started?

i’m half way through and i don’t know whether to laugh or be scared.

no politics please.

#198360 Reply
    Participant

I enjoyed it.

Our planet is screwed in the short term, but will recover eventually.  The problem is homo sapiens won’t be around by that point.

Perhaps terraforming Mars will be well underway.

#198378 Reply
    Jarpee Jarpee 
    Participant

Just added it to my to read list. I would be interested in a book club if one is started.

#198386 Reply
    Liked by Anne
    Participant

I guess I don’t know how to talk about a political book without being political. It’s like saying let’s talk about a bill O’Reilly book without bringing politics into it.

#198421 Reply
    Participant

I have learned that books like this and What Happened or Game Change have more fiction than fact and reflect more the wishful thinking of the author than facts.

#198432 Reply
    Participant

Just added it to my to read list. I would be interested in a book club if one is started.

Click to expand…

Me too.  I’m a big fan of Michael Lewis.  Would love a book club thread.

I guess I don’t know how to talk about a political book without being political. It’s like saying let’s talk about a bill O’Reilly book without bringing politics into it.

Click to expand…

My book club read Killing Lincoln and we didn’t get political with the discussion.  I have a hunch he didn’t do much of the writing though.

#198436 Reply
    Glidewire Glidewire 
    Participant

It’s an interesting book. There are so many miscellaneous functions of the federal government bureaucracy that you don’t see or think about but are extremely important (nuclear power plant regulation, Inspection of the food supply, roads and bridges, etc.) Those agencies are staffed by smart caring people that you never hear about it unless they screw something up.

Without being too political, it’s safe to say that there have been a lot of serious missteps by the current administration. The flashiest ones involve foreign policy, Military, and big macro economic issues. However, you wouldn’t be surprised to learn that the gross mismanagement and ineptitude extend into a lot of these mundane areas.

A lot of it comes down to competent career people not wanting to work for the current president. If a normal Republican (Romney, Rubio, etc.) had won the election, they would’ve gotten a list of 5–10 competent people with appropriate resumes to be the secretary of energy, secretary of agriculture, etc. Almost none of those people are willing to work for our current president. The people who take the jobs are often incompetent or, worse, a lobbyist dismantling an agency for profit.

In short, there are a lot of vital government functions that are either not being done or being done rather poorly or deliberately being sabotaged. Hopefully it won’t catch up to us.

It’s the kind of thing that would be a horrible scandal during a normal presidency, but is barely a blip on the radar these days.

#198466 Reply
    Participant

“It’s the kind of thing that would be a horrible scandal during a normal presidency, but is barely a blip on the radar these days.”

Nothing political. Just like the “good old deep state”, oops I mean days or whatever.

#198475 Reply
    Liked by Jarpee
    Participant

It’s an interesting book. There are so many miscellaneous functions of the federal government bureaucracy that you don’t see or think about but are extremely important (nuclear power plant regulation, Inspection of the food supply, roads and bridges, etc.) Those agencies are staffed by smart caring people that you never hear about it unless they screw something up.

Without being too political, it’s safe to say that there have been a lot of serious missteps by the current administration. The flashiest ones involve foreign policy, Military, and big macro economic issues. However, you wouldn’t be surprised to learn that the gross mismanagement and ineptitude extend into a lot of these mundane areas.

A lot of it comes down to competent career people not wanting to work for the current president. If a normal Republican (Romney, Rubio, etc.) had won the election, they would’ve gotten a list of 5–10 competent people with appropriate resumes to be the secretary of energy, secretary of agriculture, etc. Almost none of those people are willing to work for our current president. The people who take the jobs are often incompetent or, worse, a lobbyist dismantling an agency for profit.

In short, there are a lot of vital government functions that are either not being done or being done rather poorly or deliberately being sabotaged. Hopefully it won’t catch up to us.

It’s the kind of thing that would be a horrible scandal during a normal presidency, but is barely a blip on the radar these days.

Click to expand…

backhanded political talk.

what you just posted is basically like saying ” no offense”

#198525 Reply
    Participant

You think Romney is a normal Republican? If that’s the case, I guess I’m no longer a Republican.

#198530 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Nice try, seven posts is respectable.

#198548 Reply
    Jarpee Jarpee 
    Participant

I don’t even know what a normal Republican is anymore.

#198549 Reply
    Participant

Yup no such thing as a normal republican. – unbiased political commentary. The delusion is very impressive.

#198552 Reply

Nice try, seven posts is respectable.

Click to expand…

We’ll go for eight next time.  We’re all adults here (I think?).  Let’s remember that one side of the argument does not become more virtuous or “right” the more you can put the other side down.  Keep it civil or the thread will be locked.

#198559 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor 
    Keymaster

Too late.

Threads with the words “Republican” and “Democrat” in them are unlikely to last long. Let’s not politicize our entire lives.

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#198588 Reply

Reply To: the fifth risk

This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear