Menu
This forum is no longer active. Please use the new forum at https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/forum/

Tesla

Home The Lounge Tesla

but don’t you still have to brake?

Click to expand…

not if you have high enough regen and a long enough time.

brakes only need to be applied right at the end basically.

#226862 Reply
    Liked by Nysoz
    Participant

Can you elaborate on the regenerative braking making 1 peddle driving possible? I understand the concept of capturing brake loss but don’t you still have to brake?

Click to expand…

as peds said, basically you only have to hit the brakes to come to a complete stop. the regenerative braking feels like you’re pressing the brakes every time you let off the accelerator. it’s pretty aggressive and can feel really jerky until you get used to it. there’s a setting to make it less aggressive but then you would lose out on that potential energy capture.

my semi rural area and early morning drives means slowing down to 1-2 mph at stop signs and right turns on red is good enough.

#226906 Reply
    Liked by Peds
    Zaphod Zaphod
    Participant

the one pedal driving, for the most part (you’ll have to hit brakes every now and then) is really a neat feature.

#227005 Reply
    Liked by adventure
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

Any predictions where the state of Tesla will be in 3 years? That’s when I’ll be in the market for a new car. I am having a 240 v plug installed in anticipation for it. But for this time an moment there’s no justification for a new car.

#227013 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod
    Participant

You dont have to worry then, you have lots of time, should be all kinds of EVs to choose from. I hope the porsche one is as cool in reality as it looks.

#227015 Reply
    Liked by adventure, ACN
    Participant

You dont have to worry then, you have lots of time, should be all kinds of EVs to choose from. I hope the porsche one is as cool in reality as it looks.

Click to expand…

True, but other than leaf(which we have) what other car company has a 10 year production history.

#227021 Reply
    Participant

GM, Honda, Toyota all have long histories.   They just don’t want to build them when legacy ICE are cheap high margin machines.

#227067 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

So my spouse wanted a Tesla after sitting in one during our recent holiday in FL.

She test drove one and is interested int he base model. Now only the AWD comes with long range batteries. The others are limited to 220 or 240 miles. The question is if we should choose the RWD basic without autopilot for 35K plus destination fee or add $3K for the autopilot or add another 4.5K for the SR+ which has the autopilot included with another 20 miles.

I take it that this basic autopilot is lane assist and adaptive cruise control, which I have in my Acura. Does it have automatic lane change. I an not into full auto driving for a 6K price tag. So those of you who have basic autopilot feel that this $3K was worth it? I would pay another 3K if they can have the battery to its full 325 mile range but they stopped producing the RWD LR a couple of months ago.

#237892 Reply
    Participant

So my spouse wanted a Tesla after sitting in one during our recent holiday in FL.

She test drove one and is interested int he base model. Now only the AWD comes with long range batteries. The others are limited to 220 or 240 miles. The question is if we should choose the RWD basic without autopilot for 35K plus destination fee or add $3L for the autopilot or add another 4.5K for the SR+ which has the autopilot included with another 20 miles.

I take it that this basic autopilot is lane assist and adaptive cruise control, which I have in my Acura. Does it have automatic lane change. I an not into full auto driving for a 6K price tag. So those of you who have basic autopilot feel that this $3K was worth it? I would pay another 3K if they can have the battery to its full 325 mile range but they stopped producing the RWD LR a couple of months ago.

Click to expand…

The basic autopilot is just fancy adaptive cruise control. It does basic turns and does come to a complete stop (and start again) in stop and go traffic. It doesn’t do lane changes. You have to cancel the autopilot by pressing the stalk or by turning the wheel and restart it once in the new lane.

I think the basic autopilot is worth $3k (recently had to drive in at 2am for free air and made the drive in super easy) but the FSD isn’t there yet and definitely not worth the $6k yet. It would come down to how often you would use it. If you’re not using it for long interstate drives/road trips or stop and go traffic, probably not worth it.

They stopped producing the RWD LR, but you never know there may be one out there at a show room. Doesn’t hurt to call a service center and see if they can look in tesla’s inventory. If you’re not opposed to used cars, there’s a midrange option out there as well.

https://www.ev-cpo.com/hunter/    is the website, it’s awful to navigate but does the job

If you do end up getting one and don’t know anyone that has one, I’m sure any owners on here would be able to give you a referral code to get free supercharging miles

#238062 Reply
    Liked by Kamban
    Participant

My toaster doesn’t consistently toast my toast. Not a fan of allowing a computer to decide when the 2 ton car I’m in stops or starts.

#238064 Reply
    Liked by HikingDO, AZPT
    Participant

@Panscan – do you compare your toaster to airplanes too?

@Kamban – you’ve been bitten by the Tesla bug.  You’ll have plenty of options on the new and preowned market.  If you have a way around the California rebate income limit the choices maybe a little lower if you’re price sensitive.   If not price sensitive, then really want to talk about these things in order IMHO:   Performance, Range, Automation.

Performance: If you want absolute thrill drive in all conditions — get AWD-Performance.   AWD if you go to winter weather up in Tahoe/Foothills.  o/w RWD is sufficient and that’s what we have and get plenty of fun and performance (I drive Infiniti G37 for point of reference).

Range:  If you have ANY range anxiety concerns, get the long range 310miles.  We go up/down San Diego/Downtown LAX without issues on single charge.  You can probably do it with the Standard, but range anxiety may get you.   We rarely use any supercharging unless on extended drive trips.   Really check your daily and quarterly near-by driving radius to determine this one.

Automation:  This is where it’s all about individual preference and Tesla separates from rest of the crowd.  What’s your baseline?  I always used Cruise control — even basic.  We have full autopilot.  I use it essentially any time I’m on the freeway.  Get navigation set and turn it on.   LOVE IT.   My wife OTOH never uses autopilot because she never used cruise control; but she uses the navigation all the time.  IIRC, navigation isn’t part of the basic package either–you’ll need basic autopilot.

IMHO, if you’re stepping into a Tesla, you really won’t get the Tesla ‘experience’ unless you at least have the Basic+ package with autopilot — it really is the sweet spot to cover almost everyone’s one car family needs.

#238102 Reply
    Participant

@StarTrekDoc

That was a nice summary. I actually had placed deposits for 2 Teslas in 2016 and could have picked them in May 2018 but we had 3 vehicles, including a new MDX, and did not want a fourth one. Also we had only a 110V in the garage and did not want to install a 240V outlet since we were in the process of starting to build a house. Now that my daughter might get her license and need a reliable vehicle means we have to mothball the 2000 Accord and have her get my wife’s Camry. And we have two 14-50 240V in the garage of the new house.

Are the Tesla floor and cargo mats OK or overpriced. Any better or cheaper products?

Rather than install a Tesla charger on one side of the garage which will restrict its parking option can I buy an extra Gen-2 charger cord with the 240V adapter so that one can be left in the car and one in the garage. Any downside to it? Is the Tesla charger worth its $500 price.

I plan to use it mainly for in town and medium range driving of 100 miles or less. Anything longer and we have the SUV, which should accommodate the 3 or sometimes 5 of us easily

#238196 Reply
    Participant

For hauling — MDX does the trick for everything.  Just get the Standard+ and be done.  You can up for Full Driving in the future at a small increase if you want, but doesn’t sound you’re too much into it anyways.  Standard+ is probably your sweet spot.

Frankly you’ll need little reason to keep the included charger in the trunk and that goes about 20′ and can plug direct into you 240V.  the gauge is a little smaller, so some efficiency is lost, but if you’re good with that, no reason to invest $250-500 on a dedicated wall charger.   Even then, eBay or juicebox for 1/2 the cost.   Superchargers are all over the place these days for fast charging if every needed.   Just carry the J1772 adapter for the occasional local charge that you want to do while shopping.

Mats –  use the ones included – no problem.  The trunk may help with a cargo mat if you like to throw a lot of stuff into it.  Things tend to roll since it’s mostly flat and relatively slick.  We put medium stuff in the frunk to avoid the clunking sounds.

Our daughter is 16.5 and we recently moved her to a new car with all the safety bells and whistles (Kia Soul GT-line) and turned in our aging CR-V.  Felt comfortable for all of us to be in a much more modern safer car.  Couldn’t wait for the Model Y.

#238205 Reply
    Liked by Nysoz, Kamban
    Participant

In my 1 month post I said I was getting an electrician to install the 240V, but I put that on hold as the regular 110V gets me by without any issues so far (in case anyone else is thinking a high volt/amp plug is necessary for the car).

I think the SR/+ doesn’t come with regular floor mats anymore. I’d double check that. I have the dual motor and mine came with regular mats, but I ordered generic all weather mats off amazon for the cheap and just put it on top of the regular floor mats and in the trunk.

You don’t need an extra charging cable unless you’re going on a road trip. If that’s the case, just unplug the charging cable from the wall and take it with you. The 14-50 adapter doesn’t come with the car anymore, so if you plan on doing that you’ll have to order that separately in advance. Sometimes it’s out of stock online but your local center has some for sale.

#238264 Reply
    djohnflatfeecfp djohnflatfeecfp
    Participant
    Status: Financial Advisor, Website Sponsor, Small Business Owner

This is the thread I was looking for regarding Teslas.  My 11-year old car will soon need to be replaced and my kids have been talking to me about an electric car.  I’m curious what the new options will look like over the next couple of years as it seems everyone is coming to the market with an EV.  However, someone made the point above about Tesla being the one with a long-term track record.

Anyone try other EVs besides Tesla? Also, curious the thoughts of waiting a couple more years for lots more choices to be available.

Accumulate Wealth, Not Fees - http://forwardthinkingwm.com/
    Daniel P. Johnson, CFP - [email protected]

#248835 Reply

Reply To: Tesla

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear