Menu

Tesla

Home The Lounge Tesla

Participant

If I had lunch with Warren Buffet and he asked about Tesla, how do you think the conversation would end up?

I would guess “it’s an exciting leading edge technologically superior CAR manufacturer. Game changer for sure. Unfortunately, I can’t predict if it will dominate and for how long or who the competitors will be in 5 years. The CAR business is extremely competitive.

The point, Tesla is a Car company.

#197701 Reply
    Molar Mechanic Molar Mechanic 
    Participant

City drones are DOA. Too loud.

Edit: Corrected autocorrect.  Says “drones” now.

#197704 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

City drives are DOA. Too loud.

Click to expand…

You mean drones? Probably true. Unfortunate because that would be pretty awesome.

#197716 Reply
    Participant
    You mean drones? Probably true. Unfortunate because that would be pretty awesome.

Click to expand…

Yeah, should have been drones.  Agreed, I’d love a Jetsons car.

#197770 Reply
    Participant

Model Y unveiling event is tomorrow. Y completes S3XY 🙂

#198208 Reply
    Jarpee Jarpee 
    Participant

Can’t wait until I can afford a Model X. Ha!! Hopefully next year.

Click to expand…

Maybe the smaller Tesla SUV?  A lot less costly?  The Model Y has a big reveal next week. The consensus is for the base model to come in at less than $40k.

However, you never know how long you will need to wait for delivery….

Click to expand…

Yea I’m pretty sold on the Model X, haha. Have test drove one several times. Need to wait until our only debt is our mortgage before even considering buying however.

#198418 Reply
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus
    Yea I’m pretty sold on the Model X, haha. Have test drove one several times. Need to wait until our only debt is our mortgage before even considering buying however.

Click to expand…

I love one, because functionally, it’s big enough for some people, kids, dogs, and camping stuff. And is electric. I’m optimistic we’ll see some other options on the market soon!

#198430 Reply
    Liked by SwanSong, Jarpee
    Participant

My wife’s Explorer is in the zone where replacement is reasonable, and the “Gremlin” factor is rising (little things not working, then working again).  She steals my Model 3 as often as she can, which she’s never wanted to drive one of my vehicles before.  She already wanted her own Tesla when we had a Model X loaner, and she fell in love.  If it weren’t for the Falcon Wing doors, then we probably would already have her in one.  She’ll probably in reality drive the first of two options.  Model Y with 3 rows (hoping for good news tonight) or Model X with traditional or sliding doors.

#198441 Reply
    Participant

I can see the Y getting a potential 3rd row in the future, but not now

Why steal the upsell potential to the X on those?

They’ll concentrate on the solid CUV/SUV market :  $40-70k – and make bundles out of standard max packages until demand falls;

I believe they’ll do the same ramp schedule as Model 3.   Loaded Ys with everything and eventually offer lower trims and more options as ramp up outstrips high end US demand.  People won’t like that the RWD/standard battery won’t be offered immediately and bemoan that as bad PR; but it’s smart business to get the most of a limited output during rampup.

pencil me in for mid-2020 Y  to replace out the old CRV which still has plenty of legs (only 90k on it).

#198444 Reply
    Liked by adventure
    Participant

I don’t think the Y can get a 3rd row as it’s based off the model 3 skateboard/chassis. I’m pretty sure I’m going to get a Y as well, my Toyota highlander is getting up there and want to downsize a bit.

#198448 Reply
    Participant

There was a leak a while back that said it would.  I had thought it was an Elon tweet, but can’t find any reference now.  I never believe anything until it’s done with Tesla anyhow.  People outside the company pretending to have knowledge of Tesla’s plans are comical since the plans aren’t made ahead of time anyhow.  😉

#198472 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Participant

I am fully on board with electric vehicles, I think they are more enjoyable to ride and appreciate not having to worry about gasoline, oil, or any aspect of internal combustion engines. I am concerned about the length of time it takes to repair a Tesla vehicle. I’m purchasing a new vehicle this year- Either a Bolt (good time to buy this month since the rebate will be cut in half in April), the Kia Niro EV, or the Kona EV. Long term I’m also pretty excited about the recently announced Polestar 2 but doesn’t look like it will be readily available for several years.

#198487 Reply
    Participant
    Disability Insurance

Good luck finding a Niro or Kona –  limited supply — both solid cars IMHO.

Bolt is good car, but there’s VERY LITTLE trunk space.  If you’re wide, the seats are a bit narrow.

Niro EV is still in the running for us — and it’ll really come down to price and availability for us on Niro vs Model Y

#198504 Reply
    Jarpee Jarpee 
    Participant

My wife’s Explorer is in the zone where replacement is reasonable, and the “Gremlin” factor is rising (little things not working, then working again).  She steals my Model 3 as often as she can, which she’s never wanted to drive one of my vehicles before.  She already wanted her own Tesla when we had a Model X loaner, and she fell in love.  If it weren’t for the Falcon Wing doors, then we probably would already have her in one.  She’ll probably in reality drive the first of two options.  Model Y with 3 rows (hoping for good news tonight) or Model X with traditional or sliding doors.

Click to expand…

Your wife doesn’t like the falcon wing doors? I think they are awesome, much easier to load and unload kids and other stuff.

#198505 Reply
    Participant

Agree with function of the doors.  Not a fan of running up the Tesla flag at school pickup.  Way too flashy.

#198531 Reply

Reply To: Tesla

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear