Menu

Tele-sitter?

Home The Lounge Tele-sitter?

Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

I didn’t know this was an actual thing. It seems like this could be viable side gig for a student or resident. Per zip recruiter, you can make 6 figures.

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Jobs/Telesitter

#244815 Reply
    Participant

Never heard of such a thing

#244823 Reply
    Participant

What is the point of this?

#244830 Reply
    Participant

I thought it was for your kids! Ha!

Makes sense… some can watch via video and alert the hospital personnel if something is happening. They likely could watch many screens at once… would be boring though… kinda like lifeguarding but don’t get to be outside enjoying the sun!

#244831 Reply
    Participant

I guess I just wonder how quickly they could alert staff who were physically on site. Seems like you could have some pretty bad outcomes if they aren’t actually in the room.

And I also thought this would be about babysitting 😆

#244833 Reply
    Participant

My girlfriend is an ICU nurse and was telling me about it. I was like, “this is a perfect job for a student who needs to study.” According to her, there is a camera on the room that can move around and follow the patient (ideally, they wouldn’t get too far). I don’t know if the patient can see the sitter. A patient of hers did punch the screen that was telling him to sit back down in bed.

I didn’t go so far to see if you could do this from home, or if you needed to be at some sort of call center. I’m sure there was a hospital metric that made this a positive alternative to a bed alarm, but was more cost effective.

#244943 Reply
    Participant

As someone who has personally witnessed patients randomly grab something and stab themselves with it in less than 10 seconds and a pathological foreign object swallower grab a tech’s wristwatch and ingest it in just as little time, I would highly recommend against this gig….

#244945 Reply
    Participant

As someone who has personally witnessed patients randomly grab something and stab themselves with it in less than 10 seconds and a pathological foreign object swallower grab a tech’s wristwatch and ingest it in just as little time, I would highly recommend against this gig….

Click to expand…

And especially less than therapeutic for a paranoid, delusional patient to have a camera monitoring and in some cases talking to them.  It has become the latest/greatest at one of the hospitals where I work depending on the anticipated acuity of the patient. The tele-sitters are located at one branch of the hospital but could be observing a patient in a sister hospital across town. I’m trying to accept that tele-medicine is the wave of the future but I’m not a fan in psychiatry….I can’t grasp instructing a floridly psychotic patient to talk to the television screen.

#244973 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Click to expand…

If patients are dead set on doing something detrimental to themselves then having them watched from a camera 10 feet away or 1000 miles away isn’t going to make a huge difference as long as reasonable precautions such as initial security checks, safe rooms, etc. are taken.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#244977 Reply
    Participant

I’m surprised this would even be a thing as well.  I feel like 1:1 sitters are used in the hospital to prevent liability in the hospital as patient falls, self injuries, etc are considered “never” events these days.   It seems to me that if the hospital had a tele-sitter, and the patient did something like fall out of bed or injuries himself, they would even more liable if they felt that the patient needed 24 hour supervision but didn’t have someone physically there to prevent something from happening.  It would seem like a fairly obvious malpractice case where the plaintiff could point out the hospital felt that the patient needed close supervision but didn’t provide anyone physically there to do anything about it.   I once knew of a patient who ran out of window while the sitter and psychiatrist were there.  It made the news, I can only imagine the story if the hospital had set up some facetime robot camera with the patient when it happened.    Like the family who called the news claiming that some robot in the icu told them their family member was not doing well.

#245174 Reply
    Liked by StateOfMyHead
    Participant

After some of the concern, I inquired further. As others have stated, for those who are an elopement risk (mobile demented, psych patients), this type of sitter is pretty worthless. It is helpful when the patient has problems with agitation and may pull a line and the sitter can notify a nurse to make sure that doesn’t occur. Apparently it may be more cost effective since one sitter can monitor multiple patients at once.

I understand the concerns of those here, but as a part time job for a student, I don’t think it’s a bad idea.

#245181 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    White.Beard.Doc White.Beard.Doc 
    Participant

If you have insufficient staff, leading to a need to have an electronic sitter with a patient, what leads you to believe that a busy nurse will be able to stop while in the middle of caring for another patient to rush into the room quickly enough to prevent a line from being pulled out?

#245213 Reply

Reply To: Tele-sitter?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear