Menu

Tax preparation

Home The Lounge Tax preparation

Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

That’s one way of looking at it. The other way is “why don’t we just let the government do it. Automatic Filing was the alternative “since the government knows everything thing already”. Do you really want government to have all of your income and spending details and simply take it out of your account? One could call it a reasonable search and seizure.
    Where is the line for government and private business? Do you really think the IRS would be as cost effective and responsive? Try reaching on the phone and then any instructions and advice will not stand, only written responses which take six weeks.
    SAS is a very tough business. Can you show they lobbied for keeping tax laws complicated? Or were the lobbying to be heard that government makes the rules, they don’t prepare returns?
    If memory serves me correct, some people think all physicians should be paid directly by the government too. That is a silly suggestion. Please tell me smart doctors think it’s “morally wrong” to provide software in the private sector.

#192123 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

“Get your billions back”

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#192124 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

That’s one way of looking at it. The other way is “why don’t we just let the government do it. Automatic Filing was the alternative “since the government knows everything thing already”. Do you really want government to have all of your income and spending details and simply take it out of your account? One could call it a reasonable search and seizure.
    Where is the line for government and private business? Do you really think the IRS would be as cost effective and responsive? Try reaching on the phone and then any instructions and advice will not stand, only written responses which take six weeks.
    SAS is a very tough business. Can you show they lobbied for keeping tax laws complicated? Or were the lobbying to be heard that government makes the rules, they don’t prepare returns?
    If memory serves me correct, some people think all physicians should be paid directly by the government too. That is a silly suggestion. Please tell me smart doctors think it’s “morally wrong” to provide software in the private sector.

Click to expand…

I don’t want the government to have all my info and take money out of my account.  Unfortunately, we have an income tax, and I’m required to fill out a W-4, and my employer sends the government a W-2 at the end of the year, so I don’t have a lot of choice in the matter.  I’d prefer it if we just taxed consumption but do not think the Sixteenth Amendment will be abolished any time soon.

Acknowledging that income taxes are a necessary evil to feed the beast, the question becomes what is the most efficient way to feed the beast?  When so many other countries have a return-free filing system that works wonderfully (and was killed in California), what is the value add of Americans spending millions of hours filling out forms and millions of dollars on Turbo Tax?

#192142 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Participant

I completely agree that the system is convoluted and complex. My point is, I certainly appreciated have software companies provide tools for dealing with a multitude of interlocking credits and requirements that even require additional forms in certain conditions. Consumption tax is one way, taxing at the source is another (few problems like contractors or cash).
    Calling a SAS business “immoral” is similar to attacking a pharmacy for drug abuse. Pill shops usually involve pharmacists and a physician. Shutdown the bad ones, don’t boycott doctors and pharmacies.

As an SAS business they absolutely needed the advocate keeping government out of private sectors. I would suggest it’s easier to include CPA’s too as being an “immoral” business. Our tax code has been used to influence taxpayer behavior in a lot of ways. Simplify that? No need to volunteer. No earned income, child care and education credits anymore. Make it a revenue stream only. Quick, dirty and simple, until it’s not.
    Full disclosure: I only own index investments, I bet a small piece is in there! I think you are shooting your self in the foot do to frustrations with our tax laws, not the SAS companies or CPA’s. Actually, boycotting is easier than tax protesting or tax resisting. Sincerely, I think the blame has been misplaced.

#192154 Reply
    Participant

@lithium,
    Your thought process is fine. Do you really want to base taxation and economic beliefs on someone trained in filmmaking, Jeff Spross?
    Jeff’s Bio
    What were the positions advocated? Facts help more the predispositions.

#192155 Reply
    Participant

At least taxes is just once a year.   Medical reimbursements/forms is an all year affair.  Wanna talk about a lobby group that’s not going to simplify things?   Our sector is full of it.

#192181 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Participant
    Does your daughter and wife ever tell you that you always can justify everything? Mine tell me that a ton. Just saying.

Click to expand…

Yes they do. They always feel that my electronics and camera lenses are always justified purchases while their shoes and clothing are questionable purchases. Luckily there are no very high end stores of these in our city. 😊

#192184 Reply
    Participant

@Kambam,
    My daughter suggested this might ease the feel of be deprived. Please feel free to set it up with an account preloaded with the credit card.
    https://m.renttherunway.com/

#192187 Reply
    Participant

I use FreeFillableForms directly from the IRS webpage.

It is equivalent to filling out paper with pencil but a few calculations are done for you. I’ve paid exactly $0 for tax prep in my life. I’ve thought about getting TurboTax but reading the forms and instructions helps me better understand the ins/outs and allows me to create our tax strategy. I’m also not hesitant about reaching out on here and other places.

Maybe some day I will outsource but as we move into complex investments and real estate, knowing the true tax implications vs. what the person selling the investment seems valuable.

#192245 Reply
    Liked by Peds, Tim

Reply To: Tax preparation

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear