Menu

Suggestions for Forum Improvement

Home General/Welcome Suggestions for Forum Improvement

• The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor 
    Keymaster

What do you think of the new forum?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

What do you think of the new forum? What features would you like to see added? What bugs have you found? Please post them in this thread.

Coming features include:

• Change the order the forums are listed in
    • Notifications of PMs and being quoted/liked
    • List of those who liked your post below your post
    • Some mobile adjustments
    • Possibly the ability to add your own polls as a user. Right now, only I can do it, but it will be a very costly add-on to allow you to do it. If you guys really want it, I’ll pay to have it done.

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#10827 Reply
    Liked by Osiris
    Participant

Strongly consider using a greatest hits section of often used or best articles, web pages, links, as well as a newbie list as a quick list at the top for new people to navigate their way…

#10838 Reply
    Participant

Under the listings of participants there should be one for “Retired.” I am a retired financial counselor!

#10843 Reply
    Liked by catdr, Joseph
    Virajith Wijeweera Virajith Wijeweera 

Seems to be good so far!  However, I think as more Users post in the forum, they may come across areas of improvement that require attention.

Virajith Wijeweera
    FPL Capital Management
    [email protected]
    http://www.FPLCapital.com
    800-835-1969

#10846 Reply
    Liked by Joseph
    Virajith Wijeweera Virajith Wijeweera 

A suggestion:

Perhaps, have a “My Account” link at the top of each page so a User can easily access one’s account profile.  This would allow the User to easily check his or her “Private Messages”.

Virajith Wijeweera
    FPL Capital Management
    [email protected]
    http://www.FPLCapital.com
    800-835-1969

#10853 Reply
    Liked by catdr

Clicking the follow-up email button is nice too.   🙂

Have you done any good in the world today?

#10861 Reply
    dragonfruit dragonfruit 
    Participant

I don’t understand why one of the choices is “forum participant.” Aren’t we all, even if we check one of the others?

#10893 Reply

I don’t understand why one of the choices is “forum participant.” Aren’t we all, even if we check one of the others?

Click to expand…

Haha.  Yeah, exactly.

There is also a blank box. 🙂

#10899 Reply
    Dirty Coast Dirty Coast 
    Participant

Most of this is probably already in the works, but just in case…

1. Is there any way to post an image?   In the event that someone wants to post a chart, graph, screenshot, etc., it seems like that would be helpful.
    2. Good reference articles or popular threads/conversations should be “pinned” at the top of each sub-forum and/or possible consolidated into one dedicated sub-forum.

That’s all I can think of for now.  Keep up the great work!

#10914 Reply
    Liked by catdr
    Participant

I am very biased from Bogleheads.org site, but with addition of forums to the blog, it would seem the next natural step would be a wiki.  In addition to covering some of the same content as Bogleheads.org, may be good to have doctor specific content as well.

Suggestions

1. How to find a financial advisor (e.g., ones that do not sell whole life insurance)
    2. How (and why) to fire a financial advisor (e.g., they sell you whole life insurance)
    3. How to buy whole life insurance (this is should be a short page that only has the content, “Don’t.”)
    4. How to get rid of whole life insurance policies (it was through your blog article “How to Dump Your Whole Life Policy” how I found this site)
    5. Maximizing your savings through tax deferred investing (401k, Backdoor Roth, etc, and a section on “Why whole life insurance policies aren’t included here”)
    6. Tax efficient investing

🙂

I’d gladly help contribute content to the wiki if it helps prevent anyone from falling prey to financial advisors crooks who sell whole life insurance to physicians.

#10939 Reply
    dragonfruit dragonfruit 
    Participant

Could we have an option to indicate “spouse”?  I would feel a little silly in my future posts saying “my husband” this and that instead of “I.”  It may make more sense for those trying to wrap their head around what I write.

#10945 Reply
    Liked by Joseph

Could we have an option to indicate “spouse”?  I would feel a little silly in my future posts saying “my husband” this and that instead of “I.”  It may make more sense for those trying to wrap their head around what I write.

Click to expand…

That is a good idea, dragonfruit.  Especially since WCI talked about the Spouse Forum that exists on the internet already. 🙂

#10947 Reply
    Participant

How about a link to the main WCI site at the top of the forum page?

#10964 Reply
    Liked by mkintx
    DrNick DrNick 
    Participant

I think it looks good overall.  I’d like an option to subscribe to threads without receiving replies via email.  I like to keep track of my posts, but I already get a couple dozen emails every day.  As others have said, I’m sure there are quirks that will pop up as more people join.

#10983 Reply
    Liked by mkintx, cassell
    ACN ACN 

On the main forum page, I would suggest to add a short blurb under each forum, seems very “empty.”

Also, not sure if this is possible, but under the “Freshness” it just will have the name of whoever posted, but doesn’t include the topic.

Finally, not sure if this is a bug or a problem at my end.  I have written two replies in two separate threads and after I hit submit, it acted like it accepted the post, however, nothing showed up.  If I can replicate the error again, I’ll let you know.

If you're ever having a bad day, just remember in 1976 Ronald Wayne sold his 10% stake in Apple for $2,300.

#10990 Reply

Reply To: Suggestions for Forum Improvement

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear