The White Coat InvestorKeymasterStatus: PhysicianPosts: 4546Joined: 05/13/2011Loading ...
What do you think of the new forum? What features would you like to see added? What bugs have you found? Please post them in this thread.
Coming features include:
- Change the order the forums are listed in
- Notifications of PMs and being quoted/liked
- List of those who liked your post below your post
- Some mobile adjustments
- Possibly the ability to add your own polls as a user. Right now, only I can do it, but it will be a very costly add-on to allow you to do it. If you guys really want it, I’ll pay to have it done.
Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011SammywoofParticipantStatus: PhysicianPosts: 6Joined: 01/08/2016
Strongly consider using a greatest hits section of often used or best articles, web pages, links, as well as a newbie list as a quick list at the top for new people to navigate their way…helpifIcanParticipantStatus: Financial AdvisorPosts: 1Joined: 01/08/2016
Under the listings of participants there should be one for “Retired.” I am a retired financial counselor!Virajith WijeweeraModeratorStatus: Financial AdvisorPosts: 24Joined: 01/08/2016
Seems to be good so far! However, I think as more Users post in the forum, they may come across areas of improvement that require attention.Virajith WijeweeraModeratorStatus: Financial AdvisorPosts: 24Joined: 01/08/2016
Perhaps, have a “My Account” link at the top of each page so a User can easily access one’s account profile. This would allow the User to easily check his or her “Private Messages”.
Clicking the follow-up email button is nice too. 🙂
Have you done any good in the world today?January 8, 2016 at 2:07 pm MST #10861dragonfruitParticipantStatus: Other Professional, SpousePosts: 26Joined: 01/08/2016
I don’t understand why one of the choices is “forum participant.” Aren’t we all, even if we check one of the others?January 8, 2016 at 2:37 pm MST #10893
I don’t understand why one of the choices is “forum participant.” Aren’t we all, even if we check one of the others?Click to expand…
Haha. Yeah, exactly.
There is also a blank box. 🙂
Have you done any good in the world today?January 8, 2016 at 2:43 pm MST #10899Dirty CoastParticipantStatus: Physician, Small Business OwnerPosts: 36Joined: 01/08/2016
Most of this is probably already in the works, but just in case…
- Is there any way to post an image? In the event that someone wants to post a chart, graph, screenshot, etc., it seems like that would be helpful.
- Good reference articles or popular threads/conversations should be “pinned” at the top of each sub-forum and/or possible consolidated into one dedicated sub-forum.
That’s all I can think of for now. Keep up the great work!noraz123ParticipantStatus: Other ProfessionalPosts: 13Joined: 01/08/2016
I am very biased from Bogleheads.org site, but with addition of forums to the blog, it would seem the next natural step would be a wiki. In addition to covering some of the same content as Bogleheads.org, may be good to have doctor specific content as well.
- How to find a financial advisor (e.g., ones that do not sell whole life insurance)
- How (and why) to fire a financial advisor (e.g., they sell you whole life insurance)
- How to buy whole life insurance (this is should be a short page that only has the content, “Don’t.”)
- How to get rid of whole life insurance policies (it was through your blog article “How to Dump Your Whole Life Policy” how I found this site)
- Maximizing your savings through tax deferred investing (401k, Backdoor Roth, etc, and a section on “Why whole life insurance policies aren’t included here”)
- Tax efficient investing
I’d gladly help contribute content to the wiki if it helps prevent anyone from falling prey to
financial advisorscrooks who sell whole life insurance to physicians.dragonfruitParticipantStatus: Other Professional, SpousePosts: 26Joined: 01/08/2016
Could we have an option to indicate “spouse”? I would feel a little silly in my future posts saying “my husband” this and that instead of “I.” It may make more sense for those trying to wrap their head around what I write.
Could we have an option to indicate “spouse”? I would feel a little silly in my future posts saying “my husband” this and that instead of “I.” It may make more sense for those trying to wrap their head around what I write.Click to expand…
That is a good idea, dragonfruit. Especially since WCI talked about the Spouse Forum that exists on the internet already. 🙂
Have you done any good in the world today?January 8, 2016 at 3:37 pm MST #10947RetiredERdocParticipantStatus: PhysicianPosts: 135Joined: 01/08/2016DrNickParticipantStatus: DentistPosts: 4Joined: 01/08/2016
I think it looks good overall. I’d like an option to subscribe to threads without receiving replies via email. I like to keep track of my posts, but I already get a couple dozen emails every day. As others have said, I’m sure there are quirks that will pop up as more people join.ACNModeratorStatus: PhysicianPosts: 635Joined: 01/08/2016
On the main forum page, I would suggest to add a short blurb under each forum, seems very “empty.”
Also, not sure if this is possible, but under the “Freshness” it just will have the name of whoever posted, but doesn’t include the topic.
Finally, not sure if this is a bug or a problem at my end. I have written two replies in two separate threads and after I hit submit, it acted like it accepted the post, however, nothing showed up. If I can replicate the error again, I’ll let you know.
If you're ever having a bad day, just remember in 1976 Ronald Wayne sold his 10% stake in Apple for $2,300.January 8, 2016 at 6:52 pm MST #10990