Menu

Subpoena

Home The Lounge Subpoena

• Dreamgiver Dreamgiver 
    Participant

So, as to the future, do people keep treating patients that pull you into a lawsuit such as in this situation with no warning and no offered remuneration or do you fire them from your practice?

#175819 Reply
    Participant

So, as to the future, do people keep treating patients that pull you into a lawsuit such as in this situation with no warning and no offered remuneration or do you fire them from your practice?

Click to expand…

As long as I am not named in the suit and it is between the patient and his insurance or versus employer I will continue to treat them. But then I also charge for my time.

The only time I did not charge was when a patient was treated by me and insurance denied it on  flimsy preexisting condition charge ( happened years ago). I was not paid and the patient used an attorney to sue the insurance company. I gave my deposition for free, since if the insurance company did not pay I would have gotten nada and sending patient to collections would have been a waste of time. Luckily she/we won and I got paid the $10K owed by the patient.

#175825 Reply
    Liked by hatton1, Zaphod
    Participant

I’m a pcp. We have a fee schedule for deposition prep, 1st hour or portion, each subsequent half hour. I had one deposition arranged to be videotaped at my office— that lawyer should absolutely agree to a convenient time for you! They cancelled the day before when I told the attorney I would not be disagreeing with the neurosurgeon. I still got paid for hour of prep hour of deposition. Be sure the fee schedule outlines minimums and cancellation fees, like others have said.

The one deposition I did do was pretty easy – I treated the guy, he was in an Mva later. So I was called to discuss pre-accident state. Did get risk mgmt/legal involved, though I was not named. they gave me a quick briefing and pointers, they came with to deposition, etc.

That whole process also showed me how little you keep of your “last dollars earned” especially as that was my only 1099 income.

#175829 Reply

Reply To: Subpoena

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear