Menu

State taxes

Home Tax Reduction State taxes

Participant

Im using HR block to file my taxes and having an issue with having lived in 2 states. I completed residency in 2018 and moved to a new state without state income taxes for attending job. HR block is showing that I owe state income taxes in the state I completed residency in for the total amount of money I earned 2018 opposed to just the money I made while living in that state the first half of the year.

Any idea how to correct this?

#189748 Reply
    Participant

I had the same issue last year when i moved from NY to MN, I had my families CPA deal with it. What she did and explained to me was that she only did the amount that I made in the new state, and did not claim that on the other states income tax return, it doesn’t make any sense for the other state to collect on income tax from another state. Wish i could be more help!

#189758 Reply
    abds abds 
    Participant

I had the same issue with TurboTax . I downloaded the forms for each state to look at so I knew what each was asking and figure out where the error was. I then manually changed several numbers in Turbotax to the correct values.

#189777 Reply
    Liked by adventure
    Participant

Accountant with pencil/paper.  (It was worth the money.)

#189784 Reply
    Participant

I am in a similar situation. I did my taxes last night using H&R Block and it worked fine. It gave me the option of specifying that I was a “Part Year Resident” for both states and it let me specify how much of my income was from each state. My state income tax came out right as I had anticipated. I’m using H&R Block Premium software downloaded on my computer.

#191234 Reply
    I Find This Humerus I Find This Humerus 
    Participant

@g How much did it cost you?

#191466 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

I’d love to see a study comparing those using tax software and those doing their taxes using fillable forms with overpayment/underpayment as the outcome measure.

#191583 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

I don’t know TT except to recognize the name, but @climbhigh probably has your solution – to claim “part-year resident” for each state as applicable and enter the appropriate dates of your change of residence.

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~ 270-247-0555
    https://fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only/

#191587 Reply
    Participant

I am in a similar situation. I did my taxes last night using H&R Block and it worked fine. It gave me the option of specifying that I was a “Part Year Resident” for both states and it let me specify how much of my income was from each state. My state income tax came out right as I had anticipated. I’m using H&R Block Premium software downloaded on my computer.

Click to expand…

I don’t know TT except to recognize the name, but @climbhigh probably has your solution – to claim “part-year resident” for each state as applicable and enter the appropriate dates of your change of residence.

Click to expand…

Yep, that’s what we did after med school, residency, and then fellowship.

#191785 Reply
    Liked by MaxPower

Reply To: State taxes

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear