Menu

Specialty Switch

Home Personal Finance and Budgeting Specialty Switch

Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

I wouldn’t think twice if that’s what you want to do

3 years is less than many IM sub specialties

Just look at it like you’re doing a fellowship.

Click to expand…

thanks, thats the way I was looking at it.  Thought about Pulmonology crit but would ultimately be happier in the ED I think.

#237418 Reply
    Participant
    I am thinking of going through ER residency for a lot of different reasons, probably should have done it to begin with 

Click to expand…

It would be easier to give specific, concrete advice if you were able to share what these reasons were.

ED can certainly pay better, but the burnout rate is probably higher. If money were the most important consideration, you can almost always work more shifts/see more pts as a hospitalist for more money. Sounds like that’s not really feasible though.

I agree that it’d be much easier to find a different hospitalist job, than go through a whole new residency. Be aware that residency programs probably can’t shave an entire year off for prior experience in IM – expect maybe 3-6 months at most, which is still better than nothing.

Click to expand…

Hey thanks for the input.  My problem is not that I am burned out specifically. I still find my job rewarding sometimes. I just seem myself being happier if I was able to take care of a broader group of patients.

Also, I see the role of a hospitalist, at least in the private world, playing a less active role in diagnosis, treatment, and more about patient throughput. Where I live the hospitalist gigs have been taken over by large national conglomerates.  There is a heavy focus on metrics etc, which I understand also exist in emergency med, but probably to a lesser extent.

I enjoy doing procedures which I still do now, but is becoming a smaller role in my practice.   I think if I moved to a rural area I may play a more active role in patient care, but that is not really an option right now.

#237423 Reply
    Participant

The ED obsesses over throughput way more than the rest of the hospital ever will. I don’t know about other metrics.

EM is being taken over by national conglomerates just as fast, if not faster than other fields. At least, that’s the impression I get from reading WCI’s posts.

#237454 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant
    Where I live the hospitalist gigs have been taken over by large national conglomerates. There is a heavy focus on metrics etc, which I understand also exist in emergency med, but probably to a lesser extent.

Click to expand…

If it’s a job with a CMG then you’ll have the same ridiculous metrics but tailored for the ED.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#237456 Reply

Reply To: Specialty Switch

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear