Menu

Simple Rebalancing Question

Home General Investing Simple Rebalancing Question

Participant

So in most of the WCI articles it recommends rebalancing within a tax protected account so that there are no capital gains or tax consequences.

So am I correct to assume that any buying and selling in a Roth IRA, a 401(k) or HSA will not have any tax consequences in the year the rebalancing was done or in retirement when the money is withdrawn??

Thanks in advance!!

#232496 Reply

Yes.
    Unless it’s a wash sale.

#232497 Reply
    Liked by KMAC
    Participant

And a wash sale is when I’m tax loss harvesting and inadvertently buy the exact same stock refund 30 days before or after I sell that exact same stock or fun correct?

So as long as I don’t accidentally trigger a wash sale there should be no tax consequences to rebalancing in a tax protected account?

#232499 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant
    So as long as I don’t accidentally trigger a wash sale there should be no tax consequences to rebalancing in a tax protected account?

Click to expand…

Correct.  If you are TLHing in taxable this may be an issue if timed inappropriately.  However, dividend reinvestment in those tax-protected accounts is included in “purchases” in that 61 day window (30 before and 30 after the date of sale).  So you don’t even have to rebalance to induce a wash sale.

In regards to tax-protected accounts, the basis is either zero (401k, TIRA) or adjusts to the net proceeds at time of sale (Roth), so you’d never get a wash sale problem within a tax-protected account.  It’s only in a taxable account where your basis is changing and can be affected.

#232500 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis, Peds

Reply To: Simple Rebalancing Question

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear