Menu

Should I live home for med school?

Home Personal Finance and Budgeting Should I live home for med school?

• abds abds 
    Participant

No.

#220689 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

It all depends on your relationship with your family.  That is a good chunk of money to save.  Plus furnishings for your own place.  Plus the hassle of keeping up your own place.  Consider the commute.

A few of my med school friends lived at home.  They seemed to do alright.  On the other hand I had a lot of personal growth dealing with all that on my own.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#220691 Reply
    Participant

Things to consider

1. Do your parents want it, agree to it or even like it.

2. How well do you get along with them. Any friction. Will they give you your protected time for study and relaxing. Or are they expecting you to help with work in the house / yard etc.

3. Are you expected to pay anything? rent, utilities, food etc. Or is it all free. Is there some expectation that you might help them out similarly in their old age ( some cultures, including mine, have that).

4. If money was not an issue, would you even consider it. Also, will you miss out studying with your friends that might help your learning and bring out the deficiencies that can be corrected in time. I benefited from some joint studying sessions and Q/A with my friends during medical school.

I think the $8500/ year is too low.

#220692 Reply
    Participant

I had the option but did not. It was the best option for me to live on my own as the family would not have understood the time commitments of medical school and would have placed expectations on my time. By living on my own, I had the freedom to invest in my studies as I needed. Each family is different. If yours doesn’t do guilt trips, it could work out well.

Click to expand…

This is EXACTLY what I am afraid of. I am the first person in my family to attend college and my family did not understand how much of a commitment that was. Med school is going to be much challenging and I fear my parents will not fully recognize my commitment. I understand that with compound interest around 6.7-7 percent, I am going to pay a hefty amount to move away, but it might be for the best.

#220706 Reply
    Participant

I live in a pretty LCOL area where rent and utilities cost $575 per month. The rest of the $8,500 is for food, which I possibly underestimated the cost of.

#220707 Reply
    Participant

I had the option but did not. It was the best option for me to live on my own as the family would not have understood the time commitments of medical school and would have placed expectations on my time. By living on my own, I had the freedom to invest in my studies as I needed. Each family is different. If yours doesn’t do guilt trips, it could work out well.

Click to expand…

I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment. My family would have preferred me to live at home, however, home for me would have been a huge distraction. It was nice to have mom come to my apartment to clean and feed me during test week. Also, living within two miles of med school was so convenient. It really depends on the dynamic of your family and if they respect your need for space and time to study.

#220710 Reply
    Liked by Tim, bosoxs505
    ACN ACN 

I lived at home prior to medical school and would never do it again. My parents basically treated my free time as their time to help with chores and yard work. Different cultures and dynamic from traditional families compared to my friends, but I was never left alone.

Up late studying… Dad comes into room and tells me to go to sleep. Up late watching TV or YouTube, dad comes in.. Ect..

Saved a ton of money! But I would never recommend it unless they would leave you along basically.

If you're ever having a bad day, just remember in 1976 Ronald Wayne sold his 10% stake in Apple for $2,300.

#220727 Reply
    Liked by candyapple
    Participant

This is EXACTLY what I am afraid of. I am the first person in my family to attend college and my family did not understand how much of a commitment that was. Med school is going to be much challenging and I fear my parents will not fully recognize my commitment.

Click to expand…

There’s your answer right there.  It’s false economy to stay at home to save money if the savings comes at the expense of your grades and USMLE Step 1 test score.  Your goal isn’t simply to go to med school; it’s to actually graduate from medical school, and with scores and grades high enough to actually allow you to match into a field you will enjoy practicing in for the next 20+ years.  Don’t chance it!

#220751 Reply
    Liked by billy

Reply To: Should I live home for med school?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear