Menu

Should childhood vaccines be compulsory ?

Home The Lounge Should childhood vaccines be compulsory ?

Participant

Of course, vaccines should be mandatory for kids; good piece in yesterday’s Times:https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/09/opinion/sunday/the-real-horror-of-the-anti-vaxxers.html

#197671 Reply
    Liked by Peds
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

Salvor Hardin

#197675 Reply
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

Followed this thread w/ interest. I can see both sides and don’t have super strong feelings off the bat although I’m pro-vax obviously.

I think the anti-vax movement has triggered a weird kind of reverse self-righteous moral panic. There is this subset of people in my life who are strongly pro-vax (e.g. constantly on social media about it) who are, how to say this delicately, not nearly as committed to logic and high quality information in all areas of their life.

Click to expand…

Thats just human nature and we all do it to one extent or another.

Click to expand…

Yeah, I don’t know about that. At least not to this level.

Particularly since the anti-anti-vax crowd on social media seems to trade in snarky memes about evidence, data, etc.

#197685 Reply
    Participant
    Disability Insurance

If vaccines are mandatory, what’s next? Gonna outlaw alcohol? How’d that work out for you?

Not a great comparison.  Are people going to be smuggling vaccines out of the country?

How about outlawing guns in schools and hospitals? That just makes gun-free zones into soft targets.

Not the way it works per this article https://www.bmj.com/content/364/bmj.l542

No, I think a balanced approach is better. Mandatory for public school attendance without a medical excuse? That gives people the option to home school if they want. But I think we need to be careful what is mandatory. Tetanus shouldn’t be mandatory to attend school. It’s not contagious. Same with smallpox and anthrax. But MMR? Diptheria? Pertussis? HiB? Sure.

I just think outlawing stupidity is a very slippery slope. There are lots of dangerous things I do that lots of reasonable people probably think should be outlawed too. And yes, me doing them could cause other people to be hurt coming to rescue me.

Click to expand…

The slippery slope argument is typically a fallacious argument and is in this context.  Mandating that parents let their kids get vaccinated is not the same as allowing someone to go rock climbing.  We already outlaw stupidity in many forms, and we haven’t devolved.  Things like drunk driving, reckless driving, shooting off fireworks in neighborhoods, to name a few.

#197688 Reply
    Liked by ACPC, MaxPower, Peds, Zaphod
    Participant

Public health policies are for the overall public protection from serious illness. Vaccines have been recommended for a long time. If the risk is determined to be such the mandates need to compulsory, so be it. That has not been recommended yet. I and my family benefit from public health policies and gladly vaccinate.

If one chooses not to vaccinate if it’s compulsory, then they forfeit their right to circulate in public places.

Their choice. No home schooled only, isolation.

#197713 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Followed this thread w/ interest. I can see both sides and don’t have super strong feelings off the bat although I’m pro-vax obviously.

I think the anti-vax movement has triggered a weird kind of reverse self-righteous moral panic. There is this subset of people in my life who are strongly pro-vax (e.g. constantly on social media about it) who are, how to say this delicately, not nearly as committed to logic and high quality information in all areas of their life.

Click to expand…

Thats just human nature and we all do it to one extent or another.

Click to expand…

Yeah, I don’t know about that. At least not to this level.

Particularly since the anti-anti-vax crowd on social media seems to trade in snarky memes about evidence, data, etc.

Click to expand…

If you look, you’ll see it everywhere, obviously its most noticeable in hot topics. Probably brings out a lot of otherwise afraid to engage in debate kind of people since its basically a forgone conclusion from a data point of view. Leads to celebratory dunking and the like, annoying but not wrong. We all have blind spots that much I promise.

#197715 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Oldie but goodie!

Can we run this in the waiting room?

#197719 Reply
    Liked by Anne, Peds
    Participant

Personal liberty blah blah invasive procedure blah blah foreign substance blah blah government dystopia.

The NNT for vaccines is likely the lowest of anything we do in medicine.

Anyone arguing against compulsory vaccination citing “rare side effects” betrays a lack of understanding of statistics as well as a lack of basic human sympathy for the 3 mo who can’t get the influenza vaccine, the 15 yo with leukemia on chemotherapy, the adult with a true allergy to a vaccine component, the 16 yo girl with HPV+ cervical CA who delays presentation out of fear of talking to her parents.

But we kept our FREEDOM so that’s cool.

#197723 Reply
    The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor 
    Keymaster

Thread closed because I’m getting hate mail about it. That’s clearly a sign that it is generating more heat than light.

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#197732 Reply

Reply To: Should childhood vaccines be compulsory ?

This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear