Menu

Should childhood vaccines be compulsory ?

Home The Lounge Should childhood vaccines be compulsory ?

Participant

As a grandfather, I’m alarmed at reports of diseases like measles and whooping cough that were not a concern while my children were growing up. My daughter reports that parents get around immunization for their kids by homeschooling or applying as conscientious objectors. The resulting decline in “herd immunity” puts other children at risk.

#197368 Reply
    Liked by jfoxcpacfp
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

Exactly how would you make it compulsory?

#197369 Reply
    Participant

Yes. Next question.

#197370 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

It should be but there’s a lot of not smart parents out there.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#197372 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Yes.

This is not even a question. Sad it has to be considered.

#197375 Reply
    Participant

Yes

#197376 Reply
    Liked by Peds, Tim
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Exactly how would you make it compulsory?

Click to expand…

Like any other compulsory thing. Rule of law and consequences.

#197378 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

What do you guys think the mechanism of enforcement should be?  Parents get taken to court and involuntary treatment ordered?  Kids not allowed to go to school?  Kids taken out of parents custody?  Welfare/tax credits get denied without vaccines and/or additional tax penalties?  Parents get taken to jail?  And how cost effective would this be?

#197380 Reply
    Liked by Craigy, snowcanyon
    Participant

Easy, no access to any Disney parks without vaccination. Problem solved without involving the courts.

Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

What do you guys think the mechanism of enforcement should be?  Parents get taken to court and involuntary treatment ordered?  Kids not allowed to go to school?  Kids taken out of parents custody?  Welfare/tax credits get denied without vaccines and/or additional tax penalties?  Parents get taken to jail?  And how cost effective would this be?

Click to expand…

Many combinations of that would work but likely unnecessary beyond being made mandatory with social exclusion (ie not allowed in school, public places, air travel, etc…). Making it . They should not be allowed to go to school with anything other than a medical exemption. Theres plenty of other similar things you never think about that are this way. Parents arent allowed to starve children for religious or philosophical reasons and would/could be charged with neglect and/or jail time. Children are not parents property and although mostly hidden from daily life this is true, and they cannot do or make any kind of choice for them either.

It would be exceedingly cost effective as rising outbreaks and subsequent medical treatment is extremely effective let alone the obviously coming emergence of tort suits alleging (and likely correctly) negligence from parents of kids affected by anti-vaxx folks allowed to freely mingle without an actual reason.

#197385 Reply
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

Easy, no access to any Disney parks without vaccination. Problem solved without involving the courts.

Click to expand…

I love that!

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#197386 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Absolutely they should.
    I am a firm believer in individual liberty but childhood vaccination is an issue I fall on societies side. This can hurt other people. It should be a no brainier. To me smoking in public venues is a way lesser issue then vaccination but you cannot smoke anywhere in NY now. I agree with this policy as well but I wish the same fervor went towards vaccination.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#197388 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Many combinations of that would work but likely unnecessary beyond being made mandatory with social exclusion (ie not allowed in school, public places, air travel, etc…). Making it . They should not be allowed to go to school with anything other than a medical exemption. Theres plenty of other similar things you never think about that are this way. Parents arent allowed to starve children for religious or philosophical reasons and would/could be charged with neglect and/or jail time. Children are not parents property and although mostly hidden from daily life this is true, and they cannot do or make any kind of choice for them either.

It would be exceedingly cost effective as rising outbreaks and subsequent medical treatment is extremely effective let alone the obviously coming emergence of tort suits alleging (and likely correctly) negligence from parents of kids affected by anti-vaxx folks allowed to freely mingle without an actual reason.

Click to expand…

I can get behind requiring a medical exemption for kids to go to school unvaccinated (though that falls short of making vaccination truly “compulsory”).  I’m not so sure lack of vaccination should be considered tantamount to abuse/neglect.  Feeding kids happy meals three times a week and exposing them to secondhand smoke likely damages their health far more than not vaccinating them, and the millions of parents who do that face zero discipline.  The real issue is the public health risk.

#197389 Reply
    Liked by Kamban, portlandia
    Participant

The fact someone would even ask this as a serious question shows the problem today. Absolutely they should.

#197394 Reply
    Participant

What happens if a 1 yo needs a blood transfusion but their parents are Jehovah’s witnesses? Court order? To me, it amounts to neglect and the only reason anti-vaxxers don’t get charged is because of numbers. I’m pretty sure Jesus didn’t advocate against vaccines, so religious exemptions are just stupid. Parents have been charged with not seeking medical care for their sick child. There’s no ethical difference between that and unvaccinated kids getting sick. I think insurance shouldn’t cover medical expenses in these situations. Have the fear of bankruptcy hanging over their head. If a kid who medically can’t get vaccinated gets sick, the parents should be able to sue kids he’s around that didn’t get vaccinated, putting their child at risk.

#197395 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod

Reply To: Should childhood vaccines be compulsory ?

This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear