Menu

Shipping car

Home The Lounge Shipping car

Participant

Anyone here ship a car across the country? Any recommendations for companies would be appreciated, have one I’m looking to ship from Los Angeles to OKC.

#233117 Reply
    Participant

After getting 3-4 quotes, I used https://www.patriotautotransport.com/ last year and had a good experience.  What I found is that most of these auto transport services simply broker the deal by connecting the customer with whatever contracted transporter can fulfill your request.  This creates potential for a widely variable customer experience from the same transport company.  Once I realized this, I simply chose one of the companies that I had a positive interaction with that quoted a competitive price.

#233133 Reply

shipped 2 cars cross country. used Trico long distance movers.

were actually very professional, upfront pricing, and you pay by credit card so no paying the driver once the car arrives and needed a money order, etc.

pickup happened actually the first potential day and we were not yet in the new city once the cars arrived but they held them for an extra day, no charge.

cars arrived in the same condition i sent them in, all items stored also accounted for.

wasnt the cheapest but no one taking only CC was.

#233134 Reply
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Did you happen to post on the supercar thread? ‘Cause if so, I could drive it for you, for expenses and a nominal fee….

#233158 Reply
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

did it once, very good experience, reasonable pricing

#233199 Reply
    ACN ACN 

I shipped ours, never had a problem. If you have a nicer car, get covered transport… More expensive but worth it.

If you're ever having a bad day, just remember in 1976 Ronald Wayne sold his 10% stake in Apple for $2,300.

#233201 Reply
    Participant

Closed or open truck? I had an exotic shipped from CA to FL closed truck, air conditioned for the vehicle’s comfort. Cost $2000 in 2010.

#233215 Reply
    childay childay 
    Participant

We used http://www.reindeerauto.com/

As noted I think most places contract out the actual drivers

#233251 Reply
    Participant

we used uship.com to hire a shipper .   Worked out nicely.

#233257 Reply
    Participant

Thanks everyone. I contacted Trico and they quoted me $1600 for enclosed, which seems like a decent deal using CC instead of money order.

G, its a 1985 300td. It might be a nice ride, but a supercar it is not.

#233279 Reply
    Liked by G, Peds
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Have done it several times, but last experience was horrific. Car sat for months, changed companies a couple times since terrible customer service/lying, one was a flat out fraud, and ended up flying out to drive it back, awful.

Company I used we had used 3x before with no issues. Just seeing topic is making the blood boil.

#233337 Reply
    Participant

@zaphod,
    Sorry you had the problems. The car transport business is virtually all “brokerage” separates into two segments,
    •commercial
    •retail
    Jobs are posted on two different boards for bids. Pickup window and delivery window usually impact price. Your broker quoted you a price the simply wasn’t sufficient or they simply accepted the order “hoping” to get it done. Shame on them.

#233379 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Never shipped a car but my kids love this video.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#233381 Reply
    Liked by Craigy, Tim
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

@zaphod,
    Sorry you had the problems. The car transport business is virtually all “brokerage” separates into two segments,
    •commercial
    •retail
    Jobs are posted on two different boards for bids. Pickup window and delivery window usually impact price. Your broker quoted you a price the simply wasn’t sufficient or they simply accepted the order “hoping” to get it done. Shame on them.

Click to expand…

Yes. I unfortunately know a lot about the business now. There was also some issue with the first couple time frame as it was out of California and tesla apparently had bid everything up massively and was using all the transports. I did see 6 transports full of teslas on my 2h drive out of cali, so they werent lying. It is bad business though. Was told several times, someone coming today, heres the pickup, etc…probably not great pickup/destinations either.

Worked out in end I guess.

#233385 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Participant

Moving companies and auto dealerships can provide you reputable brokers. They deal with the logistics like this on a daily basis.
    Get three quotes! Read the fine print. Open is cheaper, but has some risk. The hauler has limited liability. Brown window, rain, mold etc. and any contents. Don’t trust BBB unless the company has been in business for years.
    Bandit movers play the game. Go with companies you can actually verify!
    Each year, medical students are targeted. Cheap online quote for an interstate move. Local company loads. Why didn’t they visually inspect? It is a federal law. Hint, about to get into a mess. That’s life for the “easy prey”.

#233390 Reply

Reply To: Shipping car

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear