Menu

Setting up a solo401K: accountant says I should seek retirement planning advisor ins

Home Retirement Accounts Setting up a solo401K: accountant says I should seek retirement planning advisor ins

Splash Refinancing Bonus

How much S Corp salary are you paid? And how much in distributions?

The Finance Buff's solo 401k contribution spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/6cZKVA

#237850 Reply
    Participant

Haven’t set up payroll for myself-edited.

Trying to set up meeting with CPA this month.

#237853 Reply

Last year as in 2018?

is 1099 income paid to you personally, or issued to the Corp?

If issued to the Corp, where is it going?

#237854 Reply
    Participant

Started job July 2018.
    Paid to Business account

#237857 Reply
    Participant
    coffee

Click to expand…

Drink some coffee yourself. Your CPA may not have the knowledge or have many in the practice of tax planning and design you are looking for and need.

I don’t know if I agree with that. First, they knew enough to say they didn’t have the knowledge. That is far better than some CPAs we have seen cause serious problems. Second, the advice itself is not a bad idea for most CPA clients.

Click to expand…

He/she may be perfectly capable of providing tax return services at a reasonable price. The practice may be mostly write-up and filing small business local, state and federal returns. Not financial and tax planning. You don’t want to pay for your CPA to research this.

You do need to seek advice from a reliable tax professional on the structure and best future path. Your question was about I401k, it is clear you need some answers from a CPA that handles these routinely.

#237858 Reply
    Liked by ChicSkiier

Started job July 2018.
    Paid to Business account

Click to expand…

So did the Corp complete a 2018 tax return? Did someone prepare a K-1 for you?

is all the money still just sitting in the business account?

#237860 Reply
    Liked by childay
    Participant
    medical school scholarship sponsor

@jacoavlu raises an imp question. If you did not file your 1120s, you still have time to file it but I hope you filed for an extension. Did you take any salary from the scorp? Did you file your 941, 940 etc filings.

#237863 Reply
    Participant

Here is all my research into the subject, you have to be knowledgeable and diligent, but certainly it can be done

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/forums/topic/research-into-solo-401k-with-intent-for-mega-backdoor-roth/#new-reply-207943

#238308 Reply

^^^ OP needs to sort out S corp issue and likely dissolve the corp, get things cleaned up, set up as sole prop for 1099 income, before worrying about 401k

#238311 Reply
    Liked by childay
    Participant

^^^ OP needs to sort out S corp issue and likely dissolve the corp, get things cleaned up, set up as sole prop for 1099 income, before worrying about 401k

Click to expand…

That is true, sorry good point.  I only read initial post which had no mention of S corp

#238316 Reply
    Participant

Started job July 2018.
    Paid to Business account

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Sorry for the delay in response, yes my accountant did prepare a 2018 tax return including K1 for the S-corp

#238491 Reply
    Participant

We have found that most accountants want nothing to do with SE 401k plans-they know their clients are taking deductions for them, but don’t want to do the 5500EZ forms or be involved in any other way.

#238502 Reply
    Liked by ChicSkiier
    Participant
    coffee 

Click to expand…

Drink some coffee yourself. Your CPA may not have the knowledge or have many in the practice of tax planning and design you are looking for and need.

I don’t know if I agree with that. First, they knew enough to say they didn’t have the knowledge. That is far better than some CPAs we have seen cause serious problems. Second, the advice itself is not a bad idea for most CPA clients. 

Click to expand…

He/she may be perfectly capable of providing tax return services at a reasonable price. The practice may be mostly write-up and filing small business local, state and federal returns. Not financial and tax planning. You don’t want to pay for your CPA to research this.

You do need to seek advice from a reliable tax professional on the structure and best future path. Your question was about I401k, it is clear you need some answers from a CPA that handles these routinely.

Click to expand…

Thanks.  I am looking into another CPA-any suggestions for the LA area are welcome.

#238508 Reply
    Participant

We have found that most accountants want nothing to do with SE 401k plans-they know their clients are taking deductions for them, but don’t want to do the 5500EZ forms or be involved in any other way.

Click to expand…

Didn’t realize this until I got feedback from my CPA recently.I am looking into another CPA-any suggestions for the LA area are welcome.

#238509 Reply

Started job July 2018.
    Paid to Business account

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Sorry for the delay in response, yes my accountant did prepare a 2018 tax return including K1 for the S-corp

Click to expand…

Ok so how much Corp income, how much salary, how much distributions?

#238526 Reply

Reply To: Setting up a solo401K: accountant says I should seek retirement planning advisor ins

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear