Menu
The forum is temporarily closed for new topics and comments. We are working on improving your forum experience. Stay tuned!

Screw it — time to spend

Home Personal Finance and Budgeting Screw it — time to spend

• Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

Bean1970, you reminded me of one of my favorite planet money episodes (who am I kidding, they are all my favorite)….good luck on the Birkin, apparently saving up is the easy part…hopefully you want some scarves too 😉

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2015/12/25/460870534/episode-672-bagging-a-birkin

Click to expand…

Yes! That was an awesome episode.

#220184 Reply
    Liked by Peds, Anne
    CM CM 
    Participant

I haven’t been to NYC since the 80s, and given your stories of ticket prices I may never return.

I saw Chorus Line and Cats on Broadway as a med student, Cats in the front row. One of the dancers crawled out of a tunnel practically into my lap. I can’t remember what I paid, but it wasn’t outrageous, even for a student. As I recall we did have to stand in line at TKTS, but that was part of the fun at the time.

I saw Baryshnikov twice as a student. I doubt the first ticket was more than an inflation-adjusted $150-$200, and I attended the second concert in the free seats at the Muny (St. Louis) with a bunch of starving dancers.

I suppose I might pay $2000 if there was a once-in-a-lifetime chance to see Baryshnikov from the front row, but I can’t imagine anything else worth $2000.

I guess you can take the kid out of the blue-collar neighborhood, but …

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried bags for Cyd Charisse (gracious). Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

#220194 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

I haven’t been to NYC since the 80s, and given your stories of ticket prices I may never return.

I saw Chorus Line and Cats on Broadway as a med student, Cats in the front row. One of the dancers crawled out of a tunnel practically into my lap. I can’t remember what I paid, but it wasn’t outrageous, even for a student. As I recall we did have to stand in line at TKTS, but that was part of the fun at the time.

I saw Baryshnikov twice as a student. I doubt the first ticket was more than an inflation-adjusted $150-$200, and I attended the second concert in the free seats at the Muny (St. Louis) with a bunch of starving dancers.

I suppose I might pay $2000 if there was a once-in-a-lifetime chance to see Baryshnikov from the front row, but I can’t imagine anything else worth $2000.

Click to expand…

It’s all hype. If you are the person who watches Hamilton and thinks hmm that was kind of boring and dumb you aren’t going to say it because you don’t want to be the uncool person or whatever. There is a popular restaurant in Chicago called the girl and the goat, a colleague raved about it. The last time I was in the city we went, no joke the food was salty and it wasn’t good. It wasn’t terribly expensive or anything but it just wasn’t anything special.  I would have rather gone and got a Chicago hot dog or a gyro. The Ambiance just average, kind of dark. Just hype.

Regarding the Birkin handbag. Sorry there’s just something fundamentally wrong with spending >10K on a handbag. It’s obscene, and unbecoming.

#220199 Reply
    Participant

Regarding the Birkin handbag. Sorry there’s just something fundamentally wrong with spending >10K on a handbag. It’s obscene, and unbecoming.

Click to expand…

Wasn’t there a post about a certain watch a few months ago…

#220204 Reply
    Participant

Slide 0

next time I find 6K sitting idle, this is what i will blow it on.

#220222 Reply
    abds abds 
    Participant

I won’t tell you what I spent for front row tickets for me, wife, kids, and parents to a concert of a legendary artist, likely to be one of the last tours for him, one of the greatest ever. I would be kicked off the forum.

It was once in a lifetime for 3 generations to experience together. Was front row necessary? Absolutely not. Once in a lifetime though. Enjoy the playoffs.

#220223 Reply
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Nothing wrong with appreciating performance arts.
    Ballet, theater, symphony, or visual.

Nothing wrong with appreciating skilled athletes.

Scholastic, collegiate professional and special events abound (Super Bowl down to little league in Williamsport). $2000 a ticket is only for the experience, no more, no less.

Most likely your high school has a holiday band or theater performance. $10 a ticket is only for the experience , no more, no less.

Both events are memorable, especially if your kid is the star. Actually, even a bit part is a big deal. You can connect with a performer too.

There is a difference between hype and a connection.
    The quality of the experience is the value, not the price.

#220226 Reply
    Liked by jfoxcpacfp, Peds
    Participant

FLP, you have to rethink up your analysis of others spending habits. The $ value means different things to different people. Current savings and expected career earnings should be factored in

Mark Stephens, the minority owner of the Warriors, was fined $500k and suspended 1 year from Warriors games after pushing Kyle Lowry. He’s worth $2.3 billion.  At age 59, which one of the penalties do you think he cares more about? Probably not the one 0.02% his net worth.

$10k splurge on anything at all = no big deal. Our heirs will definitely think so ;).

#220227 Reply
    Liked by snowcanyon, Peds
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

Just providing commentary and my opinion. People may enjoy to hear it or they will not. That’s OK. My investments could all double and I would still not pay 10,000 on a plane ticket one way or round trip, it just seems like a rip off if you could get a ticket for 1000 bucks. Ill take the 9000 difference and spend it on the trip itself. First class tickets seem to me something airlines do knowing that companies will pay for it. This goes to show that the frugal mentality that someone uses to achieve wealth doesn’t disappear when wealth is achieved, it’s ingrained. That being said I think there is a good case to be made that if you have the money you might as well spend it.

#220238 Reply
    Liked by Tangler, Lordosis
    wonka31 wonka31 
    Participant

I’m about to drop $2k to get a ticket for game 6 of Stanley Cup, with the chance to see my team win their first ever championship.

Also about to book a trip to Hawaii for me and the Mrs.

It is possible the former is allowed to happen because of the latter.

However the former paid for mostly by slush $ I’ve stores away for awhile — cash gifts for holidays I’ve never spent.

Airline for the latter mostly paid for via SWA points and companion pass, and hotel subsidized by Marriott points from signon bonuses.

Still some out of pocket cost, but way more manageable when you save up for big things and take advantage of free rewards. Work a couple extra shifts and it’ll all be covered.

I am an academic pediatrician, after all. I don’t make what you all make. 🙂

What’s your over the top but responsible splurge?

Click to expand…

You can do this because you don’t spend like a drunken sailor (apologies to the drunken sailors in the audience). Enjoy the game, I hope they win. I’ve been to two championship clinching events for my teams and there’s nothing like it if you’re a sports fan.

#220240 Reply
    Participant

Just providing commentary and my opinion. People may enjoy to hear it or they will not. That’s OK. My investments could all double and I would still not pay 10,000 on a plane ticket one way or round trip, it just seems like a rip off if you could get a ticket for 1000 bucks. Ill take the 9000 difference and spend it on the trip itself. First class tickets seem to me something airlines do knowing that companies will pay for it. This goes to show that the frugal mentality that someone uses to achieve wealth doesn’t disappear when wealth is achieved, it’s ingrained. That being said I think there is a good case to be made that if you have the money you might as well spend it.

Click to expand…

Life is short, FLP, you will realize one day.  A first class plane ride is truly wonderful for a long trip, especially if you cc hack and use miles..

In terms of splurge, saw my fav Springsteen when he was on Broadway, and spent $850 each for tickets for wife and I.  When I was back solo in NY, bought another ticket , lucked out and got second row center, and sold it on Stubhub.  For $6000.  Someone (I imagine a NYC hedge funder) really wanted that seat, and I just saw him another night instead.  So the splurge turned out to be… not one!

#220241 Reply
    wonka31 wonka31 
    Participant

Bean1970, you reminded me of one of my favorite planet money episodes (who am I kidding, they are all my favorite)….good luck on the Birkin, apparently saving up is the easy part…hopefully you want some scarves too 😉

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2015/12/25/460870534/episode-672-bagging-a-birkin

Click to expand…

Yes! That was an awesome episode.

Click to expand…

That was a good episode. I still don’t get why people want the bag, other than to say you have one.

#220243 Reply
    wonka31 wonka31 
    Participant

Click to expand…

It’s all hype. If you are the person who watches Hamilton and thinks hmm that was kind of boring and dumb you aren’t going to say it because you don’t want to be the uncool person or whatever. There is a popular restaurant in Chicago called the girl and the goat, a colleague raved about it. The last time I was in the city we went, no joke the food was salty and it wasn’t good. It wasn’t terribly expensive or anything but it just wasn’t anything special.  I would have rather gone and got a Chicago hot dog or a gyro. The Ambiance just average, kind of dark. Just hype.

Click to expand…

This has nothing to do with your post, but I really love your new avatar. Literally one of the best opening song/video combos for any show ever.

#220244 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis, billy
    Participant

1800$ Yngwie Malmsteen signature Fender stratocaster.

I can only dream…

#220248 Reply
    Liked by Anne, Peds
    wideopenspaces wideopenspaces 
    Participant

Even my 11 yo is obsessed with Hamilton. I can’t wait to take him to it at some point.

My whole post residency life is a splurge, if I think about how much money I’m leaving on the table working part time. I’m also taking 8 weeks off this summer between leaving my current job and starting the new one. Time with my family is always my biggest splurge.

Reply To: Screw it — time to spend

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear