Menu

Screw it — time to spend

Home Personal Finance and Budgeting Screw it — time to spend

• Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

I have seen Hamilton three times. Chicago, New York, and touring. Love it!

The first time was “splurge weekend” in Chicago in July, 2017, which was planned on a whim. I paid a colleague $2000 to take my last weekend of IR call, and we flew up to Chitown to see the Dead at Wrigley Field on Sat night and then Hamilton matinee on Sunday. Met some Chicago friends for lunch and brunch, too. It was a lot of fun!

Participant

After powering through the RISE exam (put on by an organization aimed at our subordinates) as a first year resident, I drove 9 hours to Indianapolis and spent about $1k on the 2015 Final Four. It wasn’t objectively a good way to spend money when I was in massive debt but don’t regret it one bit. If you’re a big sports fan, seeing your team win it all is a great event in person. It’s a gamble but it’s amazing. I will also say it’s great to see Kentucky lose in person.

Click to expand…

I spent $800 on the 2015 Final four in my last year of Med School. It wasn’t a good financial choice but it was supposed to be a once in a life time event(40-0). It’s a gamble though like you said..It ended up being one of the worst losses I’ve ever seen. Nothing worse than seeing Kentucky lose in person. It was a hazy and miserable night, I think I spent another $70 that night drinking and watching snow white to drown out my sorrows.

#220124 Reply
    Liked by jfoxcpacfp, billy, Tim
    Rogue Dad, M.D. Rogue Dad, M.D. 
    Participant

As a fellow in 2011, I bought 2 game 7 World Series tickets before my team has even won the NLCS.

While it turns out game 6 was one of most remembered games in US sports history, watching us win the WS was amazing. I’m a bigger baseball fan than hockey fan. I did have to work extra  in the ER to pay for the tickets. Took my wife and then 2 year old. About $400/ticket.

For my 10 year anniversary I planned a trip to NYC well in advance. Bought Hamilton tickets 8 months in advance. Went in July 2016 — Miranda announced shortly before we went on trip that he was leaving the show. We missed him by a week, but Munoz was amazing. That was about $400/ticket, but prices at that point had more than doubled even with Miranda gone. Perfect seats and the best musical I have ever seen. Not an exaggeration— truly amazing.

My round trip airfare for 2 to Maui is going to be under $600. Should be able to get 5 free nights at a Marriott using points.

As someone who hates all Boston sports — watching us win game 6 would trump just about every sports event in my life.

As a Blues fan, I’m quite sure we will lose game 6. But as a Blues fan I want to be there.

http://www.RogueDadMD.com

An alt-brown look at medicine, money, faith, and family

#220126 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner
    Splash Refinancing Bonus
    I will also say it’s great to see Kentucky lose in person.

Click to expand…

👿

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP: I am not your financial advisor; any responses are for general purposes only
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#220128 Reply
    Participant

@jack_sparrow,
    I feel for the Boston & NE residents.
    Those “Once in a lifetime experiences” might need a separate savings catagory .Probably Ally.
    Secure password? “Yankees Suck”. Talk about attitude, sweet old ladies use the phrase as a statement of fact and a friendly greeting.

#220129 Reply
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

More mundane but I just added a device to my alarm system that allows me to open and close my garage door from my phone (also to check if I closed it).  Do I need it.  No but I wanted it.

Click to expand…

Coincidentally, yesterday I installed a new garage door and opener, and the wifi-enabled, phone app opener mechanism came with the system.

#220134 Reply
    Liked by Tangler, hatton1, Peds
    Participant

Going to be ticking off a bucket list item. I started the ball rolling this week by contacting the company that will arrange 2 weeks in Ireland and 1 in Scotland for my 2 brothers and myself for next May-June. We’ll play 9 rounds of golf, one at St Andrews and the rest of the time touring. Already excited about it. No idea of the cost. Don’t care.

#220135 Reply
    Participant

splurged on the Hamilton tix….totally worth it.  i have one mother of a trip coming up…the trip is pricey but then forked over business class/Delta one tix the entire 24 hour travel time and 24 hour return.  There is no way in heck going to sit in the row in front of the bathroom without reclining seats that long….i tried to use our points, but parts of the legs were ineligible so just paid for it.  each tix $10,773

can’t take it with you…….

#220160 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

splurged on the Hamilton tix….totally worth it.  i have one mother of a trip coming up…the trip is pricey but then forked over business class/Delta one tix the entire 24 hour travel time and 24 hour return.  There is no way in heck going to sit in the row in front of the bathroom without reclining seats that long….i tried to use our points, but parts of the legs were ineligible so just paid for it.  each tix $10,773

Click to expand…

can’t see myself ever paying 10K for a plane ticket, that’s just a rip off. on long flights, I’m a wanderer, get up walk the aisles, stretch the legs and hang out near the back of the plane where you can get extra snacks and drinks and chat with flight attendants.

#220161 Reply
    Liked by Tangler, Lordosis
    Participant
    that’s just a rip off

Click to expand…

probably…….but FLP once said he likes math……for let’s say a 2.5 hour hockey game at $2000/tix…that’s $13/min…..i have 2880 minutes of travel time coming to $3.75/min per person…a family of four tix to hockey game would burn a 8K hole in ones pocket ….

one of these days i will get my real splurge which is a birkin bag..i’ve been saving for it…….

#220169 Reply
    wonka31 wonka31 
    Participant

I thought FLP was in great shape. Plane snacks??? Shame on you as you put your chiseled physique at risk.

#220170 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

that’s just a rip off

Click to expand…

probably…….but FLP once said he likes math……for let’s say a 2.5 hour hockey game at $2000/tix…that’s $13/min…..i have 2880 minutes of travel time coming to $3.75/min per person…a family of four tix to hockey game would burn a 8K hole in ones pocket ….

one of these days i will get my real splurge which is a birkin bag..i’ve been saving for it…….

Click to expand…

i’m not into sporting events either. i think i’ve been to one baseball game in my life, and one basketball game.

i don’t think regardless of how much money i got, i would be able to plunk down 10K on a plane ticket, it ain’t going to happen.

#220174 Reply
    Liked by Tangler
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Wow, that’s impressive. I have never paid for business or first class, but after our most recent trip, my wife and I are starting to consider it. Still, $10k per ticket is a lot, but if you got it, why leave it for your kids to fly first class?

#220176 Reply
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Wow, that’s impressive. I have never paid for business or first class, but after our most recent trip, my wife and I are starting to consider it. Still, $10k per ticket is a lot, but if you got it, why leave it for your kids to fly first class?

Click to expand…

Exactly.   At some point, there is no financial reason to limit spending.

the value curve inverts.  Glad to see people using all the opportunities and benefits that they have dutifully accrued over the years.

Enjoy it!  Tomorrow is not promised.

#220177 Reply
    Participant

Bean1970, you reminded me of one of my favorite planet money episodes (who am I kidding, they are all my favorite)….good luck on the Birkin, apparently saving up is the easy part…hopefully you want some scarves too 😉

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2015/12/25/460870534/episode-672-bagging-a-birkin

#220182 Reply
    Liked by hatton1, Peds, bean1970

Reply To: Screw it — time to spend

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear