Menu

Screw it — time to spend

Home Personal Finance and Budgeting Screw it — time to spend

• One Wet Bandit One Wet Bandit 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

In med school a buddy and I spent 400 eachfor nose bleed seats in philly to watch the Yankees win game 3 of the World Series.  Totally worth it even as broke med students.  More recently, in the same year I splurged on 10k + trips to Maui and Ireland with my wife. Bought my parents tickets to see my sister, niece and nephew for my dads 80th, then surprised them at dinner.  Still saved 25% of my gross salary for retirement though. What’s the point of having all this money if you don’t use it for experiences with those you love while you still have time?

#220077 Reply
    Participant

I’m about to drop $2k to get a ticket for game 6 of Stanley Cup, with the chance to see my team win their first ever championship.

Click to expand…

As a Canadian, I would normally support your decision to buy hockey tickets.

But this year, hell no. Up here we’re all watching basketball.

Go Raptors!

fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

Spent 2k on second row orchestra Hamilton tickets on broadway on a Saturday night for me and the wife.

Don’t regret it one bit – was a night we won’t forget.

Click to expand…

I wouldn’t watch it for free, just not my kind of music (I watched a few minutes on YouTube). Seems like another overhyped trendy thing. 2 grand for a show, that seems like a bit much. I wonder how many people really liked it vs. not wanting to admit they didn’t.

#220081 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis, CM, ENT Doc
    Participant

Hamilton on Broadway was my biggest lifetime splurge and I have no regrets.  I created memories of a lifetime with my son.

The hardest part was knowing and I could have sold the tickets and paid for our entire trip from WA state to NY!

#220083 Reply
    Liked by AZPT, snowcanyon, Peds
    Participant

I’ve never regretted a penny spent on Broadway tickets. We still haven’t splurged on Hamilton. At this point hope the craze calms down and can pay more typical prices to see the show.

I just bought 2 Madonna tickets in small venue in Brooklyn, 10th row Orchestra for…$1700. We might sell them if resale market goes crazy but spouse is huge fan so don’t regret the spend. To me, these kind of purchases are preferable to long term financial commitments like a larger home or buying car on payments.

#220089 Reply
    Participant

$5000 for business class international flight …. and another $5000 trip to turks and caicos…. between the 2 trips, my spare cash is all gone ….but like OP said.. screw it , it’s time to spend

#220095 Reply
    Liked by Peds
    hatton1 hatton1 
    Participant

More mundane but I just added a device to my alarm system that allows me to open and close my garage door from my phone (also to check if I closed it).  Do I need it.  No but I wanted it.

jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

More mundane but I just added a device to my alarm system that allows me to open and close my garage door from my phone (also to check if I closed it).  Do I need it.  No but I wanted it.

Click to expand…

Usually, the more mundane items are the most practical (and add the most value).

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP: I am not your financial advisor; any responses are for general purposes only
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#220105 Reply
    Participant

To each their own.

I left out that I had bought a bunch of tickets, sold them for a 4K profit and used 2k of that to buy ours.

But we are huge theater fans and wife is an actress so it was a great time. Also we don’t fly much so don’t spend on fancy vacations.

#220107 Reply
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

$1,000 / night to stay at Grand Hyatt on Kauai with my wife for our baby moon.  Got the airfare on points but cash upgraded to United economy plus which was sooooooo worth it!

#220109 Reply
    Participant

Trip to Vegas (all female)
    2 Attendings,
    1 MA
    2 Fellows finishing
    Purpose of the trip:
    Meet and greet for Backstreet Boys tickets provided by Dept Chair as grad gift. Reliving boy bands from a different phase of life. Trip report: BEST DAY EVER!
    Geeeez!

#220110 Reply
    Liked by Tangler
    Participant

Good for you Rogue Dad!

I have seen Hamilton, worth every penny.  Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Career and finance for PCPs at ADoctorsWorth.com

#220111 Reply
    Participant

You’ll need the trip to Hawaii to recover from seeing the Bruins come back

#220112 Reply
    Participant
    to get a ticket for game 6 of Stanley Cup,

Click to expand…

I think it’ll go to game 7. We’ll see.

#220114 Reply
    Participant

I was a fellow still at the time 😱

#220116 Reply

Reply To: Screw it — time to spend

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear