Menu

Screw it — time to spend

Home Personal Finance and Budgeting Screw it — time to spend

• Rogue Dad, M.D. Rogue Dad, M.D. 
    Participant

I’m about to drop $2k to get a ticket for game 6 of Stanley Cup, with the chance to see my team win their first ever championship.

Also about to book a trip to Hawaii for me and the Mrs.

It is possible the former is allowed to happen because of the latter.

However the former paid for mostly by slush $ I’ve stores away for awhile — cash gifts for holidays I’ve never spent.

Airline for the latter mostly paid for via SWA points and companion pass, and hotel subsidized by Marriott points from signon bonuses.

Still some out of pocket cost, but way more manageable when you save up for big things and take advantage of free rewards. Work a couple extra shifts and it’ll all be covered.

I am an academic pediatrician, after all. I don’t make what you all make. 🙂

What’s your over the top but responsible splurge?

http://www.RogueDadMD.com

An alt-brown look at medicine, money, faith, and family

ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

$2.09 for a small Starbucks, no room for cream

Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

I just paid $29.99 to live stream the Dead concert tonight…does that count?

Re Stanley Cup tix, it is possibly a once in a lifetime opportunity. If you are a fan, you should do it. Hawaii with your wife? Go for it. I am a bad influence for sports and vacations.

Participant

Both seem perfectly reasonable.

Hope you have a good time and the Blues pull it out.

#220039 Reply
    Liked by Tangler
    Participant

New golf clubs. They’re mostly over the top, not as much responsible except that I will use them a ton

#220040 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

$275 for a used Bianchi road bike.

Two months ago I watched Djokovic and Nadal play in Monte Carlo (not each other). $120.

#220042 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

Vagabond you underpaid for your musical experience.

#220047 Reply
    Liked by Tangler
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

Vagabond you underpaid for your musical experience.

Click to expand…

It’s a pretty good show, so far. Only one dud (Loser).

#220048 Reply
    Liked by Tangler, ENT Doc
    Participant
    I’m about to drop $2k to get a ticket for game 6 of Stanley Cup, with the chance to see my team win their first ever championship.

Click to expand…

Go for it!

I missed out on a chance to see my team in the Final Four…well, actually, my introversion won out.  Also contributing: more comfortable couch, better beer, surprisingly expensive airfare, and general laziness….

But in hindsight, I do wish that I had pulled the trigger!

#220050 Reply
    Participant

Spent 2k on second row orchestra Hamilton tickets on broadway on a Saturday night for me and the wife.

Don’t regret it one bit – was a night we won’t forget.

Participant

$275 for a used Bianchi road bike.

Two months ago I watched Djokovic and Nadal play in Monte Carlo (not each other). $120.

Click to expand…

Lithium, I’m not sure you understand what splurge means. (Well, except for the Monte Carlo location 😂)

#220058 Reply
    SerrateAndDominate SerrateAndDominate 
    Participant

After powering through the RISE exam (put on by an organization aimed at our subordinates) as a first year resident, I drove 9 hours to Indianapolis and spent about $1k on the 2015 Final Four. It wasn’t objectively a good way to spend money when I was in massive debt but don’t regret it one bit. If you’re a big sports fan, seeing your team win it all is a great event in person. It’s a gamble but it’s amazing. I will also say it’s great to see Kentucky lose in person.

Earn everything.

#220060 Reply
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

Spent 2k on second row orchestra Hamilton tickets on broadway on a Saturday night for me and the wife.

Don’t regret it one bit – was a night we won’t forget.

Click to expand…

Worth it!

I stole Burr’s line as a general piece of life advice that I give to students, residents, and myself: “talk less… smile more.”

#220072 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

Also about to book a trip to Hawaii for me and the Mrs.

It is possible the former is allowed to happen because of the latter.

However the former paid for mostly by slush $ I’ve stores away for awhile — cash gifts for holidays I’ve never spent.

Airline for the latter mostly paid for via SWA points and companion pass, and hotel subsidized by Marriott points from signon bonuses.

Still some out of pocket cost, but way more manageable when you save up for big things and take advantage of free rewards. Work a couple extra shifts and it’ll all be covered.

I am an academic pediatrician, after all. I don’t make what you all make.

What’s your over the top but responsible splurge?

Click to expand…

Renting a great house on the beach by Charleston that is large enough for my 2 boys, wives, and 7 grand’s. And me, of course. We’re going in July and I am counting the days. Hope to make it an annual event – it’s costly but that’s not the point. And I’m not going to cut corners on accommodations – the goal is an experience we will all enjoy and they were craving the beach. Allowing the 2 brothers, who are not especially close, and the 2 SILs, same, time together to bond is priceless. We did Hawaii a few years back (sans grandchildren) and it brought them so much closer. Again, priceless.

Want to give you a huge high five for taking this step.

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP: I am not your financial advisor; any responses are for general purposes only
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

Participant

First off coming from a city that has never won a championship HELL YES you made a good call buying those tickets.

My splurge was going to a beautiful all inclusive resort in the DR with my family and booking a room for my wonderful father in law to come with us….it was a magical, beautiful trip and I’d do it again without question….

#220075 Reply
    Liked by Tangler

Reply To: Screw it — time to spend

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear