Menu

Scam to bypass college admissions (be careful where your 529 is going)

Home The Lounge Scam to bypass college admissions (be careful where your 529 is going)

• CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant
    and how she only wants to go to school to party and for Game day..

Click to expand…

Are there other aspects to college?

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#197960 Reply
    Participant

Certainly these kids had some idea that their SAT scores were fake.

#197972 Reply
    Participant

@anne,
    Virtually every Div I coach gets paid to WIN! Sometimes the stature of the coach , read the alumni relations that yields donations survives. Minor sports don’t have that card trick. The have two tools.
    a) Limited admission exemptions.
    b) Limited scholarships.

“It’s gotta be a real blow when they realize that mommy and daddy didn’t think they were good enough to succeed on their own merits.”
    I find this to be unrealistic for the kids.
    Minimum for SAT/GPA and an student is high on a coaches list, the committee or admissions office accepts them. If no scholarship money is available, great!
    Their are 1600 sat students and 2 and 3 time state champs that don’t make any list and don’t get in.

If coaches have been found to pay kids and families, why wouldn’t the kids and families pay coaches?
    The test scores blow me away. The kids see the test scores and dates and the admissions application.

Did you know the service academy coaches can make home vistas to 9th graders and virtually guarantee admission (including a senator recommendation)?

Kids are groomed but don’t for a minute assume they aren’t gunners with help.

#197988 Reply
    Participant

But I bet there are some well meaning good kids who are pretty embarrassed so I get the sentiment

Most apparently didn’t know there sat scores were fake

Click to expand…

If you really believe that, I have a whole life policy to sell you…

#198013 Reply
    Liked by pulmdoc, Tim
    Participant

They are just teaching the kids to lie and cheat. So sad.

I bet if I got a higher than expected SAT score I would just thank my lucky stars and move on… never thinking it could be fake. However, I grew up in an honest household… If I grew up with liars and cheaters, then I might know and not care at all.

Super sad…

#198016 Reply
    Liked by Tim, Zaphod
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

I dont feel too sorry for any of these people. Theyll obviously be fine financially and doubt few of them didnt know their stats weren’t theres, many had ringers take them.

Their parents were simply cheap and committed fraud, they could have done the Kushner style of donating to the endowment or buying a building. Legal, but costlier.

#198029 Reply
    Liked by Vagabond MD, Peds
    Participant

So does bribery count as a 529 expense or not?

#198042 Reply
    Liked by LizOB, Peds
    Participant

Getting down into the weeds. I can believe “Coach” took $400k and asked for $450k and took a measly $4k transfer. Sure glad he didn’t show the interest she wanted. Now I understand November resignation.

Not a good game plan. If it’s too good to be true. I wonder if the only freshman from California on the roster is the girl? Or did the fake recruit have to even meet “Coach “.

#198044 Reply
    Participant

This thread is a good example how private school doesn’t make your kid excel inherently. Do you think a parent who is going pay all this money to get their kid into usc is going to send their kid to public school? Surprise surprise lazy undisciplined kids get poor results, even at elite schools.

Kind of off topic but oh well

Not really sure how sports got brought in but I’d like to point that football is the only college sport that makes money for the athletic department so you have literally 1 sport subsidizing all the others including rifle and etc and all these random fringe things that colleges offer sports wise. At a few schools basketball makes money but not most. Personally I think college sports should be eliminated or made club like and relevant professional organizations can make d leagues made for training players after high school.

Participant

@panscan,
    Not sure if you have kids, if you played sports, or if you have navigated this process.
    Private school is used only in an attempt to create the best available learning environment.
    Lazy undisciplined “club athletes” in college seems to be your desired goal.

1) Learning and education isn’t an isolated occurrence that just happens. Teachers and coaches and facilities and competition are needed.
    2) Aptitude, achievement, and motivation are key elements needed to avoid disappointing results.

Many gifted hardworking student athletes fail for simply going to poor high schools. Placing fourth at regionals won’t get you a spot at state, let alone university. Unless you happen to have demonstrated talent outside of high school. Club and travel teams are “big business “.

As long as you have a “hook” you get a pass. Athletes are recruited and a coach turns in his/her list. Athletes have different admissions standards. This let’s a coach recruit athletes to be competitive. That has zero to do with the business of college athletics nor private schools nor lazy undisciplined kids. Many place fourth and don’t get a medal.

#198058 Reply
    Participant
    My apologies to anyone who went to USC

Click to expand…

accepted.

pay a 500K bribe to get them in

Click to expand…

i agree though, definitely needs to be at least 1MM….that new University Park was expensive!

#198059 Reply
    Liked by ENT Doc, Zaphod
    Participant

Tim no idea how anything about what you said relates to what I said.

My whole point was calling these people “student athletes” when most of them couldn’t care less about the student part is foolish. If someone wants to take their sport seriously thats great but school is the priority for college. Not sure how being lazy or undisciplined is related as there are tons of club athletes that work very hard on their sports.

Me having kids, playing sports or navigating the process are irrelevant to the discussion.

#198062 Reply
    Participant

“My whole point was calling these people “student athletes” when most of them couldn’t care less about the student part is foolish. ”

Do you have any data to present? Coed sports, intramurals, club sports and varsity athletics all serve a purpose as well as recreational play.
    To “win” or compete for a state, national, Olympic spot is quite time consuming and challenging. One goes to Harvard, for the education and prestige, Actually, your blantant insult of “student athletes “ shows a tremendous ignorance and what it takes to perform at a high level athletically and at the same time get a great education.
    Yes, football in large part is an economic engine with basketball only coming into play because of one tournament. So the TV contracts for which less that 20 universities are positive leads you to trash athletes in 30 sports in around 200 universities.

23 sports with 460,000 at the varsity level.
    Less than 2% of high schoolers play sports.
    No disrespect, but your reading of a few football articles is greatly underestimating the value of student athletics.
    So you think the average scholarship of around $13,000
    enough money to waste four years in a deadend with no education.? Getting into selective universities through athletics is one avenue. Two great examples, Cornell and Harvard wrestling. Do you think it’s because the athletes don’t care about classes? The business of collegiate athletics shouldn’t stain 450,000 students ,no where near 10,000 aren’t attempting to get an education. Even division 3 competes. Tell me JohnsHopkins athletes are slackers.
    Your opinion is misguided.
    Athletics is ONE avenue for admission. By the way, varsity athletic achievements are given a high weight on graduate school admissions.

#198095 Reply
    Participant

I think this is just a small reflection of the academic competitiveness, real or perceived, that parents are dealing with these days.  Some seem to get so caught up in it, or live within their little bubble that it gets out of hand like this.  However, the logic applied here doesn’t really make sense to me and just exposes the flaw in some folks parenting styles.  I just don’t really get what their ultimate goal was.  If we’re talking about financial success, their kids could easily be financially set based on how wealthy it sounds like some of these parents are.  Even investing that few 100k over 30-40yrs would yield a healthy portfolio.  If we’re talking about career success, getting into college, any college, guarantees nothing.  If you can’t do the work either in college or after, you’re not going to be successful no matter what your alma mater is. Parents paving the path for their kids and/or expecting the school to make something out of their kids just doesn’t work.

#198099 Reply
    portlandia portlandia 
    Participant

I just don’t really get what their ultimate goal was.  If we’re talking about financial success, their kids could easily be financially set based on how wealthy it sounds like some of these parents are.  Even investing that few 100k over 30-40yrs would yield a healthy portfolio.  If we’re talking about career success, getting into college, any college, guarantees nothing.  If you can’t do the work either in college or after, you’re not going to be successful no matter what your alma mater is. Parents paving the path for their kids and/or expecting the school to make something out of their kids just doesn’t work.

Click to expand…

Agreed. I’m guessing that ego motivated these alleged bribes. High status folks didn’t want to tell their fellow celebs and country club members that their kid was at Podunk U or the local CC. The horror!

#198131 Reply

Reply To: Scam to bypass college admissions (be careful where your 529 is going)

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear