Menu

Scam to bypass college admissions (be careful where your 529 is going)

Home The Lounge Scam to bypass college admissions (be careful where your 529 is going)

Participant

Ok, this is in “Lounge” for a reason…

This developing story of using fake athletic profiles to get into highly academically selective schools (Stanford, Yale, etc.) for the highly connected.  Of course media focuses on top-headliners, but if both “Full House” and “Desperate Housewives” is involved, you know people will pay attention.  Seriously, though, this may be turning a new leaf as far as how hard people fight for the perceived opportunity of attending a top college:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/12/us/college-admission-cheating-scheme/index.html

#197817 Reply
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

I feel like lori loughlin could have just written the check to USC and gotten them in.  no need for those kind of shenanigans.

i don’t know about felicity though.  15k probably wouldn’t get it done.  🙂

#197820 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Wow! And here I thought USC took me fairly well. Still get a little riled up when the donation cards/calls come in.

Did people forget they could just “donate” money for things and that its a marketing thing for celebrity kids to go to these schools. I guess they’ll take you for what they can.

#197826 Reply
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

What a weird story all around. I feel bad for all those kids. It’s gotta be a real blow when they realize that mommy and daddy didn’t think they were good enough to succeed on their own merits.

#197838 Reply
    Participant

Having to pay to get your kid into USC? At least get them in somewhere truly elite if you’re going to drop half a mil on a scheme.

#197839 Reply
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

What a weird story all around. I feel bad for all those kids. It’s gotta be a real blow when they realize that mommy and daddy didn’t think they were good enough to succeed on their own merits.

Click to expand…

i wonder if they are that deep, or they just think life is supposed to work out for them.

#197844 Reply
    Liked by Docbeans, Anne, Zaphod
    Hank Hank 

Well as long as you don’t let too many Asian kids in on actual academic merit!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/affirmative-action-lawsuit-against-harvard-judge-s-hands-n971776

Athletic scholarships for academically unqualified students are one problem.  Legacy admissions may be a bigger problem.  I’m trying to think of a presidential candidate from either party who has had the courage to call out legacy admissions.

(Perhaps politicians hope even their dumbest kid can get into Yale or Harvard based on who mommy or daddy is.)

#197855 Reply
    Participant

Truly an interesting story, and the details are hilarious and insane.

It boils down to rich people wanting the best for their children, instead of the best out of their children.

#197906 Reply
    Hank Hank 

Truly an interesting story, and the details are hilarious and insane.

It boils down to rich people wanting the best for their children, instead of the best out of their children.

Click to expand…

Wow, that’s an incredible read!  The folks involved in this scandal are a lot more than just a couple hollywood TV stars.  Here’s a guide to who’s who in the zoo.

#197920 Reply
    The Physician Philosopher The Physician Philosopher 

That is unbelievable.  The length people will go to is just nuts.

Owner of thephysicianphilosopher.com website: helping medical professionals obtain wealth and wellness.

#197925 Reply
    The Physician Philosopher The Physician Philosopher 

Ugh… and, of course, Wake Forest would be named as one of the colleges… great headlines for my medical school alma mater (and where I currently work)

Owner of thephysicianphilosopher.com website: helping medical professionals obtain wealth and wellness.

#197926 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

I can’t believe some paid $6.5M just to get into some “prestigious” school. The parents should have just invest the money in VTSAX and made the kid get a minimum wage job out of high school. They’d be a 1%er in no time.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

Participant

Having to pay to get your kid into USC? At least get them in somewhere truly elite if you’re going to drop half a mil on a scheme.

Click to expand…

My apologies to anyone who went to USC, but how dumb must your kids be if you have to pay a 500K bribe to get them in?

#197934 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Ouch. USC is elite in some things I guess?

Funny tweet today about paying for a school that Will Ferrel got into.

Click to expand…

My apologies to anyone who went to USC, but how dumb must your kids be if you have to pay a 500K bribe to get them in?

Click to expand…

Feeling seen here. What if you ended up owing a similar amount and there was no bribery involved? Is that better or worse? Alright, its much worse.

#197935 Reply
    Participant

If you’re feeling bad for the kids than Google Lori Laughlin’s kid YouTube account and watch her video where she talks about hating school, talking with her deans to manage her workload and maintain “balance” and how she only wants to go to school to party and for Game day..

But I bet there are some well meaning good kids who are pretty embarrassed so I get the sentiment

Most apparently didn’t know there sat scores were fake

#197949 Reply

Reply To: Scam to bypass college admissions (be careful where your 529 is going)

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear