Menu

Saving on a day to day basis

Home Personal Finance and Budgeting Saving on a day to day basis

• jsr52 jsr52 
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Curious to hear what people do on a day to day basis to save a few bucks. I’ve finally given up on hospital food and have started making my lunch, lost a few lbs and gained some weight in the wallet saving about 120/month.

#40941 Reply
    DMFA DMFA 

Prevent wife from going to Target.  Problem solved.

Stop reminding myself there’s a Starbucks directly on my way to work from which I can mobile-order when I leave the house, get stars to redeem for free $9 drinks, and totally skip the line…instead of using my French press once I get to work at pennies per cup.

4 fried eggs, 3 turkey bacons = $1.00 for breakfast at my hospital.  Score.

Salad full of meat = $2.00 or so for lunch.  Also score.

Talk myself out of going out or getting take-out/delivery for dinner since it’s just so easy and convenient…but then again, so are leftovers.  Decisions, decisions.

Beyond that, I probably wouldn’t save more than $200/month from day-to-day activities, since anything more than that would be a curtailment of lifestyle that I just plain don’t want to do.  Sure, maybe that’s a little bit of lifestyle creep, but whatever.  My saving goals are reached.

"I like money." - Frito Pendejo (Idiocracy)

[Not a financial professional (yet), lawyer, or employee of The White Coat Investor]

#40950 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

Wow  Is your hospital food subsidized?  Our hospital cafeteria food’s quality has been decreasing over the past few years and the prices are increasing.  A sandwich, bag of chips, and a soda will run over 6.50 for a subpar meal.  I definitely need to start bringing my own lunch.

I also have been cooking at home more and more for dinner.  When the cafeteria food was decent at the hospital,it was easy enough to stop there when working late or pick up take out on the way home.  For a few summers I’ve joined a produce CSA in the summer which as forced me to cook more.

#40951 Reply
    jsr52 jsr52 
    Participant

I can make a better turkey sandwich then most food at my hospital. The hospital gives fellows 800/yr, but salads at the hospital are 10 bucks so I burn through that pretty quickly.

#40952 Reply
    DMFA DMFA 

Click to expand…

Wow  Is your hospital food subsidized?  Our hospital cafeteria food’s quality has been decreasing over the past few years and the prices are increasing.  A sandwich, bag of chips, and a soda will run over 6.50 for a subpar meal.  I definitely need to start bringing my own lunch.

I also have been cooking at home more and more for dinner.  When the cafeteria food was decent at the hospital,it was easy enough to stop there when working late or pick up take out on the way home.  For a few summers I’ve joined a produce CSA in the summer which as forced me to cook more.

Click to expand…

Government hospital.  If you buy anything pre-packaged, though, like an Egg Beaters omelet, Fritos, Fig Newtons, a bottle of Mountain Dew, etc, you’re p much paying what you’d pay at a convenience store.

[Not a financial professional (yet), lawyer, or employee of The White Coat Investor]

#40967 Reply
    WallStreetPhysician WallStreetPhysician 

Curious to hear what people do on a day to day basis to save a few bucks. I’ve finally given up on hospital food and have started making my lunch, lost a few lbs and gained some weight in the wallet saving about 120/month.

Click to expand…

I try to maximize credit card rewards with each purchase (currently use Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and Chase Sapphire Reserve).

Former Wall Street trader, current physician and blogger @ http://www.wallstreetphysician.com
    "As Gordon Gekko might say, 'Fees never sleep'" - Warren Buffett

#40972 Reply
    Craigy Craigy 
    Participant

I skip lunch pretty frequently, which is free.   😆

Really though if I’ve been doing something forever already, like drinking the work coffee, etc., is that really a savings?

LEVEL 1 WCI FORUM MEMBER.

#40975 Reply
    Rogue Dad, M.D. Rogue Dad, M.D. 
    Participant

I have a long list of things, but one simple one is whenever doing a home repair I ask bluntly if I can get a discount for paying cash.  It’s pretty common that service/contract/repair companies will give 5-10% off for paying cash.  I’ve done that for minor repairs (handyman work) and major (new roof) and saved tons of money.  Only effort required is going to the ATM.  Pre-requisite is having cash available of course.

http://www.RogueDadMD.com

An alt-brown look at medicine, money, faith, and family

#40988 Reply
    Liked by hatton1, Craigy
    DMFA DMFA 

Oh, forgot mowing the lawn.  I can pay $30 q2weeks for it, or just do it myself.  IDK if it’s worth my time; sometimes I do one, sometimes another.

Could also quit my maid service, but since my wife called that a marriage-saver (srsly? you’ve still got to clean for the cleaners!), I’ll probably let that one be.

#40996 Reply
    The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor 
    Keymaster

Click to expand…

I don’t try to save a few bucks on a day to day basis. I simply use my limited willpower on the big items-housing, car, education of my kids etc. Get the big “rocks” right and you can have all the latte’s you can stand.

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#41005 Reply
    Participant

Nothing. Don’t penny pinch. You’ll be happier.

#41008 Reply
    Participant

I too use credit cards to my advantage.  We put everything we spend on credit cards and always make sure to pay them off immediately so we never get charged interest.  I have gotten so many free flights and cash back rewards.  Its been great.

I do all my own home repairs unless its something skilled I can’t/don’t want to do myself (most carpentry, plaster work, tile work, etc).  I just installed a 240V/40A circuit for an electric vehicle charging station the other day.  Only cost me materials.  When we remodeled our master bathroom, I only paid the plumbers to do the rough in work.  I did all the finish work myself and it saved us about $1200.  I installed my own tankless hot water heater which cost me only the price of the heater itself and a few parts, so around $1200 (quote from the plumber was $3300 installed).  We refinished all of our hardwood floors ourselves, I’m restoring all of our old windows myself (at around $500-1000/window and 34 windows on the house, that’s saving us quite a pretty penny).

I should get better about only eating home cooked meals, but its hard to resist chipotle sometimes.

#41022 Reply
    Participant

This seems like too much work for not much return.

#41024 Reply
    Participant

This seems like too much work for not much return.

Click to expand…

Perhaps, but I get a lot of satisfaction from a job well done and I find the work enjoyable.  So for me its totally worth it.  For others, I can see that it might not feel that way.

I can’t tell you how proud of myself I was when I finished the hot water heater.  Every now and then I still smile when I walk by it or take a hot shower.  Same thing when I finish a window and finish hanging it back up.  There’s something about finishing a job like that with your own hands that is so satisfying.  Sounds stupid, I know, but it was a worthwhile venture for me.

#41031 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

I cancelled my SiriusXM and listen to podcasts.  I only saved $5 a month, but at least I don’t have to call and haggle with them every 6 months to get it renewed at that price.

I bike to work unless it’s raining.  It’s a short commute, but very hilly, and I feel great after doing it.

Cancelled Verizon and switched to PagePlus.  Cell phone bill is now $30 a month.  I think I’ll switch to Puppy Wireless and get it down to $20 or so next month.

Use Sling TV and still bum Netflix off my mom, and get local channels through my antenna.  All of my streaming entertainment is $20 a month.

Use the gym at work for free.

Most of my meals come from the doctor’s lounge or the leftovers there.  It’s better and cheaper than my cooking.   😕

I’m also an advocate of the credit card game.  I probably got 10 bonuses last year.  I probably had even more bank account bonuses last year.  The downside of that is having over $3000 of extra 1099-INT income to report.

#41041 Reply
    Liked by hatton1

Reply To: Saving on a day to day basis

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear