Menu

Saturdays

Home General/Welcome Saturdays

Participant

We’re all at different stages in our lives with different responsibilities. But we all want time for some enjoyment in life. Saturdays seem to give us the regular opportunity to break up life’s monotony. We all usually spend it differently than the rest of the week. There is the ideal way of spending it, and then there is reality so how do you spend your average Saturday?

I’ll start.

The one day of the week I can generally get up at my leisure so no alarm clock. I use hospitalists, but I imagine many of you may have to do some rounding at a hospital or nursing facility and/or take hospital call.

Also time for a good, home cooked breakfast that includes eggs or omelets, bacon, fruit bowl, and a hot cup of tea that I can drink slowly while reading the newspaper or a good magazine article.

Now that one of our teenagers has a drivers license, we are grateful that she can go do some food shopping, drive to SAT prep, drive to social events with friends, etc. Prior to that I spent a huge amount of time driving them and their friends all over the place.

After breakfast some clean up around the house, which my wife appreciates. Maybe some work on a car. Some errands.

Then comes a homemade lunch, also a rarity. Healthy and unrushed.

Between lunch and dinner seems to be the fun time with family. A family movie, a day trip to the beach or some lounging around the pool, some exercise and a walk around the neighborhood/local park. Maybe some quality reading or hanging out with a few of the guys. Sometimes a great function with extended family, grateful for them. Remember to include the family pet(s)!

Dinner in? Dinner out? Whatever we’re all in the mood for. Generally prefer in most of the time but sometimes order if in no mood to cook. We generally don’t eat out during the week. Sneaking some human food to the dog, getting yelled at by the kids for making the dog a little too round.

A little responsible activity after dinner. Catch up on charting/review labs. Some purchasing, online bill payment and preparing checks for Monday deposit (I am a business owner). Some social media work. Least enjoyable, one day retirement will largely wipe this out.

Some local news then off to bed relatively relaxed in preparation for God’s day.

Are your Saturdays now awesome, okay or exhaustive? Some of us may be rounding, changing diapers, still driving the kids to soccer practice. For others the kids may be off to college or you may be retired and Saturday is just another day. Where are you at? I for one still want some more free time and that should happen as the second (and last) child starts driving and eventually kids move out in the coming years for college and/or grad school. No hurry there though. Eventually, a smaller home and fewer cars will free up our weekends of some chores. Goal is simple Saturdays, at least minimizing the not so enjoyable mandatory activities. Once almost every activity is optional, that’s Saturday success.

#244569 Reply
    Participant

Husband used to see post-ops most Saturdays but maybe he’s operating on Thursdays now? Not sure. Realizing as I type this that he’s not been going in on weekends nearly as much as he used to…hm….

Sundays are a long work day for me so if there’s any cooking / cleaning / errands today is usually the day. I used to do the Saturday morning partner WOD at CrossFit but now I’m on a focused lifting program so today I biked to the powerlifting gym and lifted some heavy #$& with a friend. When I got home our neighborhood / CrossFit friends had brought over lunch so we sat outside while I ate leftovers. Tonight I’m going out with colleagues, I think husband might be doing whiskey night with the boys. In all likelihood a fire will be involved.

It’s 4pm, the house is clean, I’m about to start getting ready while he’s watching videos (if I could take a guess probably of surgery, Tool, or animal attacks) on the couch.  I know I should feel like something is missing without kids but man is life good.

#244578 Reply
    Participant

I work 150 days a year and I’m a radiologist (read- no charting). So, Saturdays happen often. Pretty much all those days have 90-120 minutes at the gym, a bunch of reading, a 3-5 mile walk with the dog, and making food. I’ve thought about working more, but I’ll contemplate that on another thread.

#244583 Reply

I like this topic. My wife and I have been talking about social event tuning to get that perfect Saturday. I’m in the thick of my training in anesthesiology, which is admittedly and completely intentionally not as hour-intensive as other specialties. Ideal Saturdays involve sleeping in, getting woken up at the late time of 7:10 by our two year old. Cartoons, changing diapers, Trader Joe’s gluten free pancake mix, eggs, herbal tea (gave up coffee due to headaches and feel so much better), lay around in the bathrobe and intentionally do nothing related to residency/studying/work email. Sometimes video games with my high school friends, often going outside with the family, catching up on quality time with my wife, going to the gym for a longer workout. Get the kids (almost 3 and 9 months 😬) to bed early and spend time with my wife, often watch a movie with some popcorn. It’s the perfect day to not be rushing around/residency mode. I am extremely blessed. This particular weekend, we are potty training and I’ve already cleaned up two pee accidents, so that’s… fun.

#244585 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Pretty much all those days have 90-120 minutes at the gym,

Click to expand…

What do you do in a gym for 2 hours? That seems like a looooooong time.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#244588 Reply
    Participant

I rounded in the hospital today, rounded in the hospital last week too.  Saturdays are nice when you don’t have to work.   Working Saturdays make you appreciate the Saturdays that you do not have to work more.

#244591 Reply
    Participant

Pretty much all those days have 90-120 minutes at the gym,

Click to expand…

What do you do in a gym for 2 hours? That seems like a looooooong time.

Click to expand…

It’s usually 90 minutes. 60 minutes of lifting and 30-60 minutes of a mixture of cardio (elliptical, indoor track, bike). I enjoy lifting more than I do cardio, which is why that time tends to vary.

I went from having one weekend off a month during fellowship to a ton of time off, so I’ve had to figure out how to fill time. I’ve been working on zaatar recipes, and how to make tikka masala and other foods outside of my wheelhouse. So far so good on that front, but I probably need to find an authentic audience to verify that.

#244598 Reply
    Liked by CordMcNally
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Most of our saturdays are super chill. Only day without an alarm, but I tend to wake up at same time anyway. Coffee, but a breakfast either in or out. Some saturdays its all work, last weekend was garage work from fri to mon, today I did some garden winter prepping and stuff, all on whatevs schedule. Often we just hang out together, go fishing, for a walk etc…Similar sunday but of course you know work is coming so cant fully relax.

#244623 Reply
    wideopenspaces wideopenspaces 
    Participant

I’ve had to adjust to just having a 2 day weekend and it’s a little rough! I do a barre class every Saturday and then we hang out with the kids/ neighbors. We usually do a midafternoon meal if we aren’t hanging out with friends in the evening. Pretty relaxed/simple days. Don’t do any work on the weekends, but I do hit the grocery store on sundays.

#244625 Reply
    Participant

Currently all days are spent trying to keep a newborn alive.

Edited to add that we are new parents of a healthy newborn!

White.Beard.Doc White.Beard.Doc 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Your statement is hanging alone without any context.

I hope you don’t have a new child in the family who is sick.  If you do, I am sending you some hope and prayers for better days ahead.

#244628 Reply
    SLC OB SLC OB 
    Participant

Edited to add that we are new parents of a healthy newborn!

Click to expand…

Congrats!  I call the first 30 days “Survival Time”… if both parents and the newborn is alive at the end of it, you’ve WON!  Good luck!

#244645 Reply
    SLC OB SLC OB 
    Participant

Saturdays…. If not on call (and most days when I am on call and don’t have one in active labor), I will either swim in the lake for an hour or go for a trail run for 60-90 minutes, drink coffee, read the forum while sipping the yummy cup of Joe. Today was the start of our soccer season, so I will have lots of Saturday Soccer games to enjoy watching my kids run up/down the field.

On Sundays, I really enjoy PoF Sunday Best… read it while drinking that cup of Joe… swim or run, hang with the kiddos. Sometimes I have to do the grocery shopping, etc. but since shopping is not my favorite, I try not to waste my time doing that.

#244646 Reply
    Participant

Made a huge pot of tomato sauce with the great ripe seasonal crop. Spent 5 very enjoyable creative hours working on a video I’ll be showing the extended family in a few weeks based on interviews with my parents a few years ago. My dad passed away in February, and I want this to bring his memory to life, and make my mom, siblings, nieces and nephews happy. One nephew is about to leave for college – took him out to dinner where we talked about physics, consciousness and the simulation hypothesis. Watched the dvr’d US Open Women’s Final with my wife. Good day. Very good day. Life is good.

#244649 Reply
    legobikes legobikes 
    Participant

Well, I only work regular peds outpatient hours M-F without call. Saturdays are my unwind day, Sundays are the family day.

My day is going to a quiet cafe or somewhere outdoors to drink coffee, read, and write. Then I go home to have lunch with my wife, pray, play with the kids, maybe a short nap. Late afternoon I go hiking, and sit and read up in the hills until dusk. Often a phone call to my mom or my friend on my walk back or while sitting by the lake. Then dinner at home, play with the kids, help put them to bed, pray, and finally be able to spend time/talk with my wife uninterrupted. It’s our protected time for sharing observations about the kids, strategizing discipline or changes in routine, plans for the house or garden, etc. Maybe read some more before going to bed late.

Sundays, breakfast together, sometimes I make french toast, then projects around the house, or errands, often at Home Depot or Target, and to survey the 55% off shelves at World Market. Afternoon, taking my daughter on a bike ride, or going to the park with the family, and to the local ice cream shop in the evening.

I try to count my blessings often. Seriously considering negotiating a four-day workweek to have a three day weekend. I believe 32 hours is considered full time, and I think I could settle even for a directly proportional 20% paycut.

#244653 Reply

Reply To: Saturdays

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear