Menu

Satisfaction/enjoyment practicing medicine

Home The Lounge Satisfaction/enjoyment practicing medicine

Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

I’m going to go with 8 out of 10. I LOVE the clinical work I do. I LIKE the administrative work I do since it gives me a little break. I HATE my commute.

#33166 Reply
    Liked by conniebird
    Participant

@Darrvao77 – which medical specialty do you practice if you dont mind me asking

Click to expand…

Dermatology

#33189 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

Dermatology

Click to expand…

+1

I said 8.5 in my reply, but the breakdown would be -actual “work” part is 10, the support staff/inefficiencies (academics) brings down 0.5-1 and my commute (2 hrs+ a day) knocks it down even more. I work 4 days a week to. But take call, but you know, it’s derm.

“Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. (S)he who understands it, earns it ... (s)he who doesn't ... pays it.”

@ missbonniemd.com

#33190 Reply
    Liked by DarrVao777
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Dermatology

Click to expand…

+1

I said 8.5 in my reply, but the breakdown would be -actual “work” part is 10, the support staff/inefficiencies (academics) brings down 0.5-1 and my commute (2 hrs+ a day) knocks it down even more. I work 4 days a week to. But take call, but you know, it’s derm.

Click to expand…

I feel a bit the same. Sometimes its a 10, but all the little things continue to get more heavily weighted and when combined with everything I’d rather do, bring it way down.

Working only 4 days a week, no call (like yours), no nights/wknds, really does make it very tolerable. Schedule did just move to 3 day weekends instead of midweek off day so assume a bump in tolerability coming there. Happy, but if someone gave me 10 million I wouldnt show up tomorrow. Some people would and thats great for them.

Plastic surgery, even though its well over 95% happy people, that 1-2% can really make it feel awful and grinds away at me. Trying to deal with it better but ugh.

#33204 Reply
    RadMoneyMD RadMoneyMD 
    Participant

I would give it an 8.  I enjoy radiology, but the business side of it can be challenging.  And I’m starting to feel a little bit of burnout after 5 years in private practice.

#33207 Reply
    DMFA DMFA 

7.5 to 9.5 based on the day.  I’m a military PCCM fellow, all of which has its own BS (every field has its BS), but never is it bad enough for me to say I don’t like my job.  I also don’t believe in perfection, so I won’t go as high as 10.

What I tell people is not to do this unless you really, really, really want to, because if that’s the case, then putting up with admin non-clinical junk and the rare awful patient (though in rads, far less likely) are all just minor things you get through in order to do the things you really enjoy.

"I like money." - Frito Pendejo (Idiocracy)

[Not a financial professional (yet), lawyer, or employee of The White Coat Investor]

#33216 Reply
    WealthyDoc WealthyDoc 
    Participant

I love this thread!

I feel so blessed to enjoy my work.  I know that is not necessarily the norm in medicine these days.  I help people, use my brain, teach, learn, lead, and enjoy.  I may not do it all for free, but on the other hand I could probably quit and be ok financially.  I focus on the service I provide and how lucky I am to be a high earning professional in America.  I have a pretty manageable work schedule and that makes it easier for me to enjoy it.  I think a lot of the 6-7/10 people posting would be a 9 if they did only 30 hours clinical with no weekends, holidays, call etc.  The only thing keeping me from a 10 is the difficulty I have cutting my hours back even more.  Medical practice is still pretty inhospitable to part time workers.  I did know a couple who were both FP and did a job share.  Life was great for them until the company decided 0.5 FTE workers were not eligible for benefits.  One had to go to 0.6 FTE at least and they may ratchet that up higher next year.

Wealthy Doc is a FI (Financially Independent) physician. He enjoys financial freedom and wants to help others achieve that as well. See more at http://www.WealthyDoc.org

#33221 Reply
    Participant

I’m at 7 out of 10.  I’m a pathologist.  Most days I like my job, but the things I dislike about it (autopsies, call, the bureaucratic garbage associated with licensure and CME) I’m finding harder and harder to tolerate.  It’s not a job problem, really, it’s just me.

#33222 Reply
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

It would be an interesting to see a “satisfaction vs. time in career” graph. Most of the respondents appear to be in year 0 (or even minus 1) through 5 of their post-training careers and rate their satisfaction very high. I think that dissatisfaction occurs over time, due to various forms of wear and tear on the mind, body, and psyche.

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#33225 Reply
    Liked by hatton1
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

I love this thread!

I feel so blessed to enjoy my work.  I know that is not necessarily the norm in medicine these days.  I help people, use my brain, teach, learn, lead, and enjoy.  I may not do it all for free, but on the other hand I could probably quit and be ok financially.  I focus on the service I provide and how lucky I am to be a high earning professional in America.  I have a pretty manageable work schedule and that makes it easier for me to enjoy it.  I think a lot of the 6-7/10 people posting would be a 9 if they did only 30 hours clinical with no weekends, holidays, call etc.  The only thing keeping me from a 10 is the difficulty I have cutting my hours back even more.  Medical practice is still pretty inhospitable to part time workers.  I did know a couple who were both FP and did a job share.  Life was great for them until the company decided 0.5 FTE workers were not eligible for benefits.  One had to go to 0.6 FTE at least and they may ratchet that up higher next year.

Click to expand…

Hey, people are simply different. I dont find this particularly challenging or engaging at all from a mental standpoint. Its basically the same stuff over and over and over, which turns out to be true for most anything. If you find it very rewarding, thats great, its not the norm for everyone.

Again, I work at most 4d/wk, no call, no weekends and I dont even go to the hospital. I have about the sweetest gig ever, and make a great amount of money/hr worked. Thats not the issue. I’d give it up to pursue other things intellectually, experientially, and personally if it were fiscally possible.

Im not unhappy whatsoever, but its just not enough for me. People are different.

Its kind of rude to take your personal situation or feelings and project it to others as a blanket proclamation of their person. I dont assume that somehow everyone out their getting mental enjoyment out of their practice somehow havent mastered their craft yet or are easily captivated, which is what the nice opposite version of how I feel applied inappropriately to everyone else. Why cant we all just be different and enjoy different things?

#33230 Reply
    Participant

It would be an interesting to see a “satisfaction vs. time in career” graph. Most of the respondents appear to be in year 0 (or even minus 1) through 5 of their post-training careers and rate their satisfaction very high. I think that dissatisfaction occurs over time, due to various forms of wear and tear on the mind, body, and psyche.

Click to expand…

Precisely. A parametric graph would be beautiful. At this time only factor based histogram is possible. Agreed it’d be interesting. I see a log graph hitting zero at infinity.

#33233 Reply
    Liked by Vagabond MD
    Participant

I’d give it a 9. The only thing that would make it better is if they’d let me bring my baby to work with me 🙂 Seriously, don’t you think depression and anxiety would improve if you could look at a cute baby during your doctor appointments?

For me, I absolutely love my job-the part time schedule ( and no real call/weekends), my colleagues, the office staff, the patients, the resident teaching, the office location and space, and the work itself. I have nothing to complain about. But I also love being with my kids. If I could easily step away from medicine for the next 5 years until this little guy is in school, I’d do it in a heartbeat. Or better yet I’d stay at 0.25FTE during that time if I could lose enough of my patients to make that feasible. Right now I have to go back to 0.5 FTE in a couple of months just because I’m getting so far booked out and I know it’s not OK for patient care. Maybe what I’ve just figured out is that I need to strategize with my office manager in order to make that happen . . .

#33239 Reply
    Liked by hatton1, Zaphod
    Participant
    intellectually, experientially, and personally

Click to expand…

What exactly would these entail?

For those in academics, about how much decrease in pay is it compared to the private practice counterparts? The more I practice dentistry, the more I realize that I enjoy my days at the hospital with the rare conditions, sick children and the once in a blue moon patients. ..

#33243 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant
    intellectually, experientially, and personally 

Click to expand…

What exactly would these entail?

For those in academics, about how much decrease in pay is it compared to the private practice counterparts? The more I practice dentistry, the more I realize that I enjoy my days at the hospital with the rare conditions, sick children and the once in a blue moon patients. ..

Click to expand…

Studying completely new fields, I mean I would like to learn even more about finance from a more complete view, wouldnt mind learning to code/computer science, etc…Write a book or three, start a couple businesses, travel like crazy, maybe even political stuff. Have the kind of time to really effectively train to do something like a triathalon competitively (not just finish), etc…I can think of so many other things, just not enough time.

#33248 Reply
    Participant

@zaphod – hitting nail on the head. Medicine is the the end all be all of most exciting this. Up there, but I can name so many different activities that are more intellectually and physically fun to do/learn.

#33249 Reply

Reply To: Satisfaction/enjoyment practicing medicine

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear