Menu

Roth IRA for Adult Child

Home Retirement Accounts Roth IRA for Adult Child

• Craigy Craigy 
    Participant

He wasn’t going to contribute any of his money at all.  The idea behind it was for me to contribute to it throughout the year when I could plus take the money I was already collecting from him for car insurance and put that in there.

Click to expand…

Ahhh.  Well if it really is free money with nothing extra out of his pocket, then perhaps that wasn’t made clear to him?  Seems like a no-brainer.

LEVEL 1 WCI FORUM MEMBER.

#43411 Reply
    Participant

That’s what I thought too but he is in that control phase now.  19 years old and wants to cut the cord while I’m trying to help his future self out.  I’m going to just put the money aside and if he comes around, I’ll toss it in a roth.

Indecision doesn't create change. Only action does. Do something today to get you closer to your goals.

#43413 Reply
    Participant
    I think it’s a great idea. Just have the statements come to your house

Click to expand…

Or to an email, so there isn’t any paper!

(side note, I have one financial institution that won’t stop sending paper. I loath it, and want to dump the account, just because sending paper is a stone age requirement. Ugh). Any requirement to use paper is arcane, insecure, and just stupid.

#43553 Reply
    Participant

Also beware that you can’t contribute more than his earned income each year, so he has to earn at least $5,500 for you to max it.

Click to expand…

quick question: let’s say my kid made $2500 this year and she had to pay ~$200 to SS and medicare. can she contribute $2500 to the Roth IRA or only $2300? thanks!

#240642 Reply

IRA contribution is limited to compensation, as an employee that is W-2 Box 1

The Finance Buff's solo 401k contribution spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/6cZKVA

#240677 Reply
    Participant

#240679 Reply
    Participant

I think this is one of the greatest ways to determine how an individual will handle an inheritance.  I like thinking of it as a micro test.  If my son blows through the ira, the trust can be revised accordingly.

#240699 Reply
    Faithful Steward Faithful Steward 
    Participant
    I’m trying to help my son kick start his retirement but want to hide it from him.

Click to expand…

Your son is going to have to sign the Roth IRA application. So, you’re not going to be able to hide it from him.

Michael Peterson, CFP® | Faithful Steward Wealth Advisors
    https://ProsperousPhysician.com | (717) 496-0900

#240732 Reply
    Liked by Peds
    Faithful Steward Faithful Steward 
    Participant
    I think this is one of the greatest ways to determine how an individual will handle an inheritance.  I like thinking of it as a micro test.  If my son blows through the ira, the trust can be revised accordingly.

Click to expand…

This is a great idea. Thanks for sharing!

Michael Peterson, CFP® | Faithful Steward Wealth Advisors
    https://ProsperousPhysician.com | (717) 496-0900

#240735 Reply
    Participant

I was going to comment for the OP but then saw this was from 2017.

OP if you’re still out there give us the update–how is your son doing? Still planning to go to Med school? Still refusing free money?

#240739 Reply

Reply To: Roth IRA for Adult Child

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear