Menu

Robo calls

Home The Lounge Robo calls

• Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Also the calls only come during the daytime. I imagine if they came overnight it would cause more of an out cry for something to be done.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#244406 Reply
    Participant

Over the past few months I’m getting several a week from different numbers which I then block. They leave voice mails but aren’t speaking English so I have no clue what they even want. Frustrating.

#244407 Reply
    Participant

Thank goodness Microsoft Licensing Department accepted Western Union Money-gram and Amazon Gift Cards. I have tried even allowing remote access to fix the “operating security problem “ that keeps causing the transactions to be rejected. Wonderful service, but the problem keeps reoccurring. Keeping my interest license current seems to work extremely well. What could go wrong?

#244422 Reply
    Participant

My grandson is in jail, and need to have bail money wired to him!  Since I’m not a parent, I’m not quite sure how I became a grandparent, but it would be cruel to leave my grandson (whose existence was previously unknown to me, and whom I have never met) behind bars, so I guess I have no choice but to wire the money.

Honestly, it’s way past time for the phone company to crack down hard on his stuff.

#244865 Reply
    Liked by MaxPower, Tim, Lordosis
    Participant

I had not received a Robocall for years, and then yesterday, when I was on call so having to answer everything, I got a call from a 1-800 number with a recording that due to “suspicious activity with my SSN” they were worried that it had been compromised and they were going to suspend my SS account and payments (not receiving any currently anyway, thanks) unless I called them back and gave them a bunch of information.

Hung up and did nothing, and then today I got called back twice more, so far, from different 1-800 numbers with the same recording. I’ve blocked all the numbers but I’m guessing they have unlimited numbers to call from.

I probably wouldn’t have answered a call from a 1-800 number, but I’ve gotten some very weird caller ID things on my phone. I received an automated phone call from Walgreen’s saying that my prescription was ready for pickup and the location said it was from Egypt. Our medical center also has some in-hospital phone system, and one night after I operated on some kid in the ICU got a phone call from what turned out to be his nurse but the number was only like 5 or 6 numbers and it said the call was originating from Russia. So at 2:30 in the morning I didn’t answer it. No voice mail left and then a couple of minutes later same call. I blocked the number but then got a voicemail from the nurse asking me to call her. Fortunately she left me her real number so I didn’t have to call Russia…

#245088 Reply
    Liked by artemis
    Participant

I had not received a Robocall for years, and then yesterday, when I was on call so having to answer everything, I got a call from a 1-800 number with a recording that due to “suspicious activity with my SSN” they were worried that it had been compromised and they were going to suspend my SS account and payments (not receiving any currently anyway, thanks) unless I called them back and gave them a bunch of information.

Click to expand…

That one’s obviously tailor-made to scare the crap out of vulnerable seniors.  I could easily see a lot of older people falling for it.

Can we bring back hanging, drawing, and quartering as a suitable punishment for the scammers that make these calls?  Please?  It would be a real public service!

#245100 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Participant

“It would be a real public service!”

Or serve on jury to select the “winner” of a Presidential Debate. That would be so painful!

#245127 Reply
    birddog birddog 
    Participant

I put the Hiya app on my iPhone and that cut down on telemarketers/scam by 90%.  I paid for their premium subscription (~$15 per year), and it cut down on them by 99%.  Totally worth it.  Was getting many calls a day and now likely only get one a month.

(I have no financial relationship with Hiya other than being a satisfied customer.)

#245151 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Participant

I put the Hiya app on my iPhone and that cut down on telemarketers/scam by 90%.  I paid for their premium subscription (~$15 per year), and it cut down on them by 99%.  Totally worth it.  Was getting many calls a day and now likely only get one a month.

(I have no financial relationship with Hiya other than being a satisfied customer.)

Click to expand…

Any concerns that a call from hospital etc would somehow get blocked? I’m not very tech savvy but it seems some of the numbers are fake, in fact I actually got a call from my own cell number once.

#245226 Reply
    NaOH NaOH 
    Participant

I love the calls from the ‘student loan department’ offering to help me refinance my loans… can’t refinance $0, bruh. 🙂

"Don't fear failure - not failure, but low aim, is the crime.
    In great attempts it is glorious even to fail."

#245267 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

I use an app called RoboKiller. I almost never get a robocall anymore, maybe one or two a week. There is an option for an automated bot to mess with the caller a little bit. I will not say if I have turned that feature on… 😉

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#245272 Reply
    Liked by birddog
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Does answering or talking or pressing one to talk to a person affect the receiving of future calls?  I remember one time I was offered press 9 to be unsubscribed and I stupidly did then my phone blew up for weeks.  Coincidence?

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#245284 Reply
    Participant

Does answering or talking or pressing one to talk to a person affect the receiving of future calls?  I remember one time I was offered press 9 to be unsubscribed and I stupidly did then my phone blew up for weeks.  Coincidence?

Click to expand…

Not a coincidence, I’m afraid.  Any response indicates to the spammer that they had a real person on the other end of the line, so further attempts to reach that person are warranted.

#245303 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

I use Hiya too, and NomoRobo for my home land line.  It cuts down a lot on them.

#245307 Reply
    Participant

Whenever I get them, I dial in a bunch of random numbers and symbols (like 12387#127973**378623186233#949171928719274874981#) on the number pad.

I like to think it somehow messes up their automated dialers, and any humans on the other end will think they’re being hacked.

It probably doesn’t do anything, but I feel I get less of these calls than a few months ago.

#245391 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis

Reply To: Robo calls

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear