Menu

Robo calls

Home The Lounge Robo calls

• Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

I get them in spurts.  Sometimes 5-6 a day.  Then nothing for a week.  90% of the time the area code is the same as my number (which is not the area I live now)  Lately I have been getting them from my phone number.  Kinda weird.

VISA/Mastercard alert.

Anne to lower my CC rates

Kelly, informing me my line of credit was approved

Trish, my patient advocate to get me medicaid services

Rachel, somehow goes straight to voicemail “Oh I just misses you” then something about prescription coverage

Anyways  I have noticed that the vast majority of these are about money or healthcare.

Any other trends noticed?

Any solution to get it to stop?  The do not call registry I signed up for 3 years ago does not seem to help.

I miss the good old days of real people.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#244312 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant
    Anne to lower my CC rates

Click to expand…

@anne , you got something to share about great credit card rates?

I get them, too, and I hate it. They’re always from the same area code as where my phone number is from but I live in a different place now so they’re easy to spot and ignore.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#244313 Reply
    Participant

I love the calls I get that are prerecorded and start halfway through the message (oh my God, I missed part of the message, I better call back right away!) telling me that I owe the IRS money, and I need to call back immediately or the “local police” will arrest me. Part of me wants to call back just to mess with them!

#244320 Reply
    Participant

I got some great deals for you Lordosis. I don’t understand why you never call back.

Participant

I love the calls I get that are prerecorded and start halfway through the message (oh my God, I missed part of the message, I better call back right away!) telling me that I owe the IRS money, and I need to call back immediately or the “local police” will arrest me. Part of me wants to call back just to mess with them!

Click to expand…

I get that one, too.  Apparently I have four outstanding charges against me.

And I keep getting offers to refinance my student loans, which is interesting since I paid them off years ago.

I feel very sorry for the people who get taken in by these scammers.

#244327 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis, HikingDO
    SerrateAndDominate SerrateAndDominate 
    Participant

Last year, my co-fellow and I would mess with these guys in the late afternoons when we were winding down. He was a super nice guy with a pretty thick accent so he would gladly mess with them and act like he had trouble giving out a fake card number. It was a great way to bond and take out some stress on objectively horrible people.

Earn everything.

#244329 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

I am just surprised that there are enough people out there falling for it to keep it going.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#244336 Reply

Anne said they are taking my social security away. ..

#244346 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Participant

The people that fall for robocalls and send them money drive me crazy because they make the rest of us keep receiving robocalls.  It is especially frustruating for physicians who have to answer every call when you are on call.  most of mine call during clinic hours and I let them go to voicemail, but then parents miss calls from schools thinking that they maybe robocalls as well.   I am hopeful that they will come out of some legislation to force the telephone companies to use their technology to block these calls.   I don’t understand why they can’t prosecute more of these companies that are the beneficiaries of these robocalls either (security systems, credit card loan people, etc).  Most of my robocalls don’t seem to be originating from some foreign country looking to scam people but seem to be actual business trying to sell something deceptively.

#244349 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, Lordosis
    Participant

Always love the ones that start out with “please, do not hang up” or “this is not a telemarketing call.”

One thing I’ve noticed is that if I answer with “this is dr so and so” instead of “hello” it doesn’t say anything.  After 2-3 seconds, I just hang up.  If it’s a live person, they will start speaking.  Unfortunately, I have to answer every phone call because the paramedics call me all the time (medical director of a busy ALS fire department).

#244355 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Click to expand…

She may be somewhat right about that one.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”

#244357 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, Peds
    Participant

Click to expand…

Peds just verify your full SSN for me and I’ll get you set up correctly.

#244362 Reply
    Liked by Craigy, Peds
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

It’s ludicrous that this can’t be addressed legislatively.

#244363 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

It’s ludicrous that this can’t be addressed legislatively.

Click to expand…

I thought I had read something recently where the US government was able to levy some outrageous fine on a large offender and that they thought things would get better…but I guess not.

#244369 Reply
    Participant

According to John Oliver, the FCC can do something to stop it, but they choose not to.

NSFW

#244399 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, madinat

Reply To: Robo calls

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear