Menu

Returning to living like a resident, am I the only one?

Home Personal Finance and Budgeting Returning to living like a resident, am I the only one?

• CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

I’m appalled at the people who let their house temps get that low. There’s no way that can be comfortable. If you’re doing this to save money, I’d much rather see one extra patient for the month so I can be comfortable all month.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#171928 Reply
    EJ at Dads, Dollars, and Debts EJ at Dads, Dollars, and Debts 
    Participant

I keep noticing my heater is on when the windows and doors are open. Welcome to California and it’s strange fluctuation for cold to hot throughout the day. So I may not be the best one for this post. My cars are both Toyotas and I spent $11k on a New Zealand trip last month…so yeah, I am probably in the middle.

Do what makes you happy. It is not a competition, just the pace of your life.

- EJ @ DadsDollarsDebts.com

Dad and Cardiologist. Trying to help dads with personal finance so they can focus on the family. Blogger at DadsDollarsDebts.com

#171930 Reply
    Drop it into MD Drop it into MD 
    Participant

As long as someone is living within their means, has reasonable goals, and saving an adequate amount then they can do whatever they want with the rest.  Cars, vacations, heat, or whatever.   I personally would not over save in a way that bothers me daily but we are all allowed our eccentricities.

FWIW my house is set to 70 but it would be 67 if it were completely up to me.

#171994 Reply
     Kamban 
    Participant
    It’s in the mid-30’s during the day and low 20’s at night here. My last electric bill was $36. Last gas bill was $32.

Click to expand…

There is no way I can survive 55 in the house with low 20’s and 30 outside. I keep the thermostat at 67-68 at nights but like it at 70F during the days. We also light the gas fireplace in the evenings. My electricity and gas bills are in the $200 and $100 at their peaks but it is money well spent.

As a side note the Nest thermostats were on sale during the Thanksgiving sale at Costco and my local power company also offered them with additional rebates to bring down the price to just $114 each. That might be a good way to reduce power bills without shivering in the cold.

#172008 Reply
     Doc Spouse 
    It’s in the mid-30’s during the day and low 20’s at night here. My last electric bill was $36. Last gas bill was $32. 

Click to expand…

There is no way I can survive 55 in the house with low 20’s and 30 outside. I keep the thermostat at 67-68 at nights but like it at 70F during the days. We also light the gas fireplace in the evenings. My electricity and gas bills are in the $200 and $100 at their peaks but it is money well spent.

As a side note the Nest thermostats were on sale during the Thanksgiving sale at Costco and my local power company also offered them with additional rebates to bring down the price to just $114 each. That might be a good way to reduce power bills without shivering in the cold.

Click to expand…

Yep, we picked up the Nest a few months ago and it immediately started to pay for itself. Great investment, which I recommend to everyone I can.

We have a multi-story house, and most of the time I’m up in the (furnished) attic which is my home office.  Considering I only come down two or three times during the workday for a few minutes each time, I can’t justify heating the entire 2000+ sqft while nobody is there aside from me.  The Nest kills the heater at 7:30am after she leaves, and then kicks it back on around 6pm which is 30 mins before she usually heads home.

Works out quite well.  My AC/Heater unit keeps the attic/office a nice temperature, and we’re easily saving $100 a month so far.  Temps here are currently 20-30’s outside.  I’ll check back in if it drops below zero 😛

#172114 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Yep, we picked up the Nest a few months ago and it immediately started to pay for itself. Great investment, which I recommend to everyone I can.

We have a multi-story house, and most of the time I’m up in the (furnished) attic which is my home office.  Considering I only come down two or three times during the workday for a few minutes each time, I can’t justify heating the entire 2000+ sqft while nobody is there aside from me.  The Nest kills the heater at 7:30am after she leaves, and then kicks it back on around 6pm which is 30 mins before she usually heads home.

Works out quite well.  My AC/Heater unit keeps the attic/office a nice temperature, and we’re easily saving $100 a month so far.  Temps here are currently 20-30’s outside.  I’ll check back in if it drops below zero 😛

Click to expand…

Another great actionable tip.  Did some digging online today and found out that my electric and gas companies both reimburse $50 each for the Nest.  Even though I’ve missed Black Friday that’s still too good of a deal to pass up.

I’ll be putting my order in once my current credit card statement closes.  Total cost will be ~$75.

#172121 Reply
     Dont_know_mind 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

I would love to live like a resident again. Those and university were the best years of my life. I’m not sure if it was the lower income, having less, spending less or just being young. I think it is probably the latter and being unburdened by worry or responsibility.

If I spent like a resident, returned to university or had the same net worth as I did when I was a resident or student, I wouldn’t be as happy as I was back then.

Also my wife would not be impressed.

#172147 Reply

Reply To: Returning to living like a resident, am I the only one?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

you're currently offline

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear