Menu

Returning to living like a resident, am I the only one?

Home Personal Finance and Budgeting Returning to living like a resident, am I the only one?

• wonka31 wonka31 
    Participant
    Fundrise eREIT

Certainly different people have different priorities. No thank you on 55 degrees, in fact I’m going to light the gas fireplace because you just made me shiver, Lithium.

I spend less than most on cars and house, but hammer vacations with cash pretty hard. Mine may officially be the cheapest in the doctors lot at this point. I will say that I was very excited to see the soon to be graduating resident and his newly leased BMW the other day. It’s really a beautiful car, I’m just glad I’m not making the appointment.

As long as you don’t go crazy on everything, most physicians should be in good shape. It’s all about whatever you’re into.

#171526 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    wonka31 wonka31 
    Participant

Also, good on you OP to realize that you’re spending is incongruent with what you want your life to be. Very few people in the universe could do that to the extent it seems you have. We have cut back to some extent on ‘stuff’, but you have really killed it. As long as you and the family are happy, I think it’s great.

#171527 Reply
     Anne 
    Participant

67 in winter, 73-74 in summer.

Click to expand…

Wow–I would think a penguin would like it quite a bit colder!

Sorry.  In addition to being a tree hugger, I have a cheesy sense of humor.

#171528 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

I probably live closer to like a resident than like a typical attending.  I never really cut back, I just never expanded my lifestyle that much in the first place.  I don’t worry about money, now or in the future, and I buy whatever I want.  I just don’t want to have an excess of stuff to take care of, and so my wants are fairly limited.

I’m also not a fan of cutting down a tree just to throw it out a month later.  Yes, I’m a big fat tree hugging hippie.  Also not a fan of fake look alike trees.   Here’s my solution.  I love the design personally.  http://www.retreejoy.com

I like my house around 68-70 in the winter and maybe 72 in the summer.  I have been to people’s houses where it feels like they have the A/C blasting to the upper 50s in the summer and the heat turned up to the upper 70s in the winter–it’s so uncomfortable!

Click to expand…

Fake trees look pretty great now, and come nicely prelit, ours can be white/colors or flashing both (only kids like this). Its awesome since the kids like to put it up immediately (thanksgiving) and it doesnt die, etc…no needles, and minimal work. Third year with this costco 9.5fter and couldnt be happier. First thing my daughter does in the am is turn the lights on, then bathroom.

#171529 Reply
    White.Beard.Doc White.Beard.Doc 
    Participant

After graduating a surgical residency life style took over. Big house, nice cars, vacations. 5 yrs in practice we’ve  reversed all of it. Living large felt wasteful and had no purpose other then accumulating things and filling voids that were pointless. Downsized by half, donated half our belongings, paid all debt off, savings and investments are skyrocketing. Family is more happy living closely in a smaller home and we are taking amazing vacations paid for in cash. Will be financially independent much sooner then ever anticipated.  Our we the only ones that have been this drastic??

Click to expand…

I admire you.  Wow!

I can comfortably afford my plush lifestyle and I have plenty of money in the bank, but I truly admire you.  It is easy to talk about doing something like this, but you are living it.  Way to go!

#171531 Reply
    Liked by royalblue
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

I do have the gas fireplace on for much of the day when I’m not at work. I just don’t see the point in heating the whole house when I’m only using one room.

I am pretty hot-natured so am far more aggressive with the A/C in the summer than the heat in the winter.

Spent $7-8k on vacations last year I think.

As for the hiking shoes, I haven’t had much luck with past purchases. They usually fall apart within a year or two, even the ones with four star reviews on Amazon.. So I figure if they are going to fall apart anyway, why pay $100, when I can just pay $10? Also don’t have to pay taxes when you buy from private parties.

I am really proud of my beater car, which mostly just sits in the garage while I take the bike out.

#171532 Reply
    hatton1 hatton1 
    Participant

I keep my house comfortable. I love to use a space heater because one of my dogs likes to nap next to it.  It is really cute.  I donate lots of clothes but I can’t get my mind around buying other people’s clothes.  I think everyone has their own priorities.  What I splurge on may be ridiculous to someone else.  Bravo to the OP.

#171540 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, bean1970
    IlliniGopher IlliniGopher 
    Participant

I think philosophically I fit in the middle.  I don’t want to make myself miserable, yet I don’t want to worry about my stuff.  I own a modest home, save 50% of my money, and only splurge on a nice phone (since I take tons of pictures of my daughter). I think in the end, I would be worried about nice cars or things because the possessions end up owning me instead #FightClub

#171541 Reply
     wideopenspaces 
    Participant

Strong work, OP. I think aligning spending with values and figuring out what actually makes you happy is pretty much winning the game. We haven’t had too much lifestyle creep but one change I recently went back to was meal planning and weekly grocery shopping rather than hitting up the darling local market on the daily, which seriously inflated our grocery spending. I think we’re eating more meals together and we’ve cut our bill back to a reasonable level. My husband starts a job next week that will more than double his current salary and I’m not even tempted to go crazy with spending. Just excited to increase our retirement contributions and start a taxable account. So I’m either really boring, or we’ve got it made . . .

#171550 Reply
     Scarftheverb 
    Participant

I never understood the need to hike in “boots.” Every pair of hiking boots I’ve ever had gave me blisters no matter how long I stuck with them. Switched to Salomon trail runners over 10 years ago and haven’t looked back. No blisters, no rolled ankles, lots of miles hiked.

#171804 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
     Doc Spouse 

I do have the gas fireplace on for much of the day when I’m not at work. I just don’t see the point in heating the whole house when I’m only using one room.

Click to expand…

Same way.  House stays in the low 40’s/50’s during the day, but I purchased a portable AC/Heater unit that keeps my upstairs office a toasty 70.  Sure, I can’t feel my hands when I go downstairs for some food, but the double-digit electricity bill in winter makes it worth it. 😛

#171824 Reply
    Drop it into MD Drop it into MD 
    Participant

Ebeneezer please allow me to throw another lump of coal on the fire…

#171848 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Same way.  House stays in the low 40’s/50’s during the day, but I purchased a portable AC/Heater unit that keeps my upstairs office a toasty 70.  Sure, I can’t feel my hands when I go downstairs for some food, but the double-digit electricity bill in winter makes it worth it. 😛

Click to expand…

How cold is it in your neck of the woods?  It’s in the mid-30’s during the day and low 20’s at night here.  My last electric bill was $36.  Last gas bill was $32.

I like threads like this because they honestly do help me distinguish between when I am being frugal and when I am just being insane.  I know I am about as far on the MMM end of the spectrum as any of the high-income posters here, and this stuff all comes second nature to me, yet is alien to all my professional and social circles.  So it helps to know when I am an extreme outlier.

So you guys have convinced me to put my thermostat one standard deviation less far from the average.  I guess if those bills double, it won’t kill me.  That didn’t stop me from putting my snow tires up for sale and clipping some coupons I got in the mail yesterday.

#171888 Reply
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

How cold is it in your neck of the woods?  It’s in the mid-30’s during the day and low 20’s at night here.  My last electric bill was $36.  Last gas bill was $32.

I like threads like this because they honestly do help me distinguish between when I am being frugal and when I am just being insane.  I know I am about as far on the MMM end of the spectrum as any of the high-income posters here, and this stuff all comes second nature to me, yet is alien to all my professional and social circles.  So it helps to know when I am an extreme outlier.

So you guys have convinced me to put my thermostat one standard deviation less far from the average.  I guess if those bills double, it won’t kill me.  That didn’t stop me from putting my snow tires up for sale and clipping some coupons I got in the mail yesterday.

Click to expand…

No way.  You be you.

#171918 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Yeah, you have to think about things in absolute/relative terms. I mean if that bill tripled, would it change anything about your life today or in the future? No, no way at all. Would it be materially more comfortable and enjoyable? I would assume so. Also less likely to be killed by your spouse I’d imagine. I let it get to 68 one morning and never heard the end of it, though it doesnt get very cold here so we’re more comfy in 110 than 40.

#171926 Reply

Reply To: Returning to living like a resident, am I the only one?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

you're currently offline

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear