Menu

Refusing to pay service bill

Home The Lounge Refusing to pay service bill

• MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

Ok let me start by saying that I am probably just going to pay this bill, just curious about the hypothetical.

I recently had a service company out to look at something at my house. Can go into details but they aren’t actually super important. I had described the issue on the phone. Long story short technician walks in says “we don’t do that” and then leaves. He barely got his coat off.

About a month later I get a bill for a service call that is past due for services rendered. I have called the company and they have been less than helpful. The reason the bill is past due is that they tell me tech provided me with a bill (which he did not) and I was supposed to pay at that time. That is the normal process for this company but it was not followed here.

So the easy thing is just to pay the bill it’s $89, but I am irritated. There has been some other customer service stuff around this that is negative.

How bad for me would it be to just tell them to go pound sand, let it go to collections if they want, and then pay it immediately. My credit is great and I don’t really need a credit score for anything other than maybe a future home purchase so really the only potential damage to me would be if this were to cause me to have trouble getting another mortgage. It seems unlikely that an $89 bill would do that but I don’t really know.

Not really looking for “just pay it and move on” responses, I know that is the mathematically correct thing to do. Just wondering about the implications of my alternative scheme.

#184193 Reply

From what you said, I wouldn’t pay it. I would try to get up the chain and explain why the bill needs to go away. The action of the tech would imply they didn’t expect to charge you, or be paid.

I assume you had to call someone else, who performed the service?

The Finance Buff's solo 401k contribution spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/6cZKVA

#184195 Reply
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

From what you said, I wouldn’t pay it. I would try to get up the chain and explain why the bill needs to go away. The action of the tech would imply they didn’t expect to charge you, or be paid.

I assume you had to call someone else, who performed the service?

Click to expand…

another company altogether did it, the original company had no recommendations.

spoke to rep on phone yest who was going to review and get back to me, she never did.

spoke to another guy today who gave me a line of BS about how the tech had dx’ed the problem and left me a bill, neither of which he did.

now i’m allegedly waiting to hear from the manager.

#184196 Reply
    Liked by Snag75, Zaphod
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

I would call and try to talk to the highest up person that I could. I would be reasonable and explain the situation. If this doesn’t resolve the situation, I would explain that I have no choice but to file a complaint with the BBB as well as leave honest (which will be negative) reviews on Yelp, NextDoor, and every other online review place I could find. I would also file a complaint with any state agency that has oversight, if applicable. If they’re smart, they’d just waive the bill than have to deal with all of that.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#184197 Reply
    Zzyzx Zzyzx 
    Participant

first see if they’re listed on BBB and if so threaten them with a complaint.  if they aren’t listed they won’t care and probably won’t care about yelp either.  if you have an attorney friend or family member take them to small claims court

It’s psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I’ll get a saw.

#184201 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant
    if you have an attorney friend or family member take them to small claims court

Click to expand…

I would pay the bill plus extra to NOT go to small claims court.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#184202 Reply
    Liked by Vagabond MD
    portlandia portlandia 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

I would not pay it, doesn’t matter the dollar amount. Yes, I will die on an $89 hill out of principle.

SerrateAndDominate SerrateAndDominate 
    Participant

Hell, just make up a log of all the time you’ve spent dealing with this then send them a bill for your hourly rate

Earn everything.

#184205 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

I second calling back and asking to speak to a manager at that time.  If they don’t accommodate your request immediately or forward you and you get hung up on I would not only file reviews as suggested, but I would call back and hit the prompts to deactivate whatever service this is.  When you get the customer retention person on the phone make it abundantly clear that you want to cancel because they are committing fraud and if the person you speak to can’t address it immediately you want to cancel your service and will go with their competitor.  As with any negotiation, have the other deal lined up first.  The free market can address these problems right quick.

#184206 Reply
    Liked by pulmdoc
    Dreamgiver Dreamgiver 
    Participant

Did you ever sign anything they gave you? If not, you can straight up say nobody came to my house, have no idea who you are but you went to the wrong house or are billing the wrong person.

#184214 Reply
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

I second calling back and asking to speak to a manager at that time.  If they don’t accommodate your request immediately or forward you and you get hung up on I would not only file reviews as suggested, but I would call back and hit the prompts to deactivate whatever service this is.  When you get the customer retention person on the phone make it abundantly clear that you want to cancel because they are committing fraud and if the person you speak to can’t address it immediately you want to cancel your service and will go with their competitor.  As with any negotiation, have the other deal lined up first.  The free market can address these problems right quick.

Click to expand…

Just so I’m clear this is an HVAC issue not a monthly service. Given that I live in Chicago and everyone uses both furnaces and A/C units every year I doubt that threatening them with not being their customer anymore is going to land very hard.

#184216 Reply
    SerrateAndDominate SerrateAndDominate 
    Participant

If this is just the “call charge,” then that’s one thing.  I personally hate those, but they tend to go with the business.  But if you’re saying they charged you for diagnostics, then uh no.

Earn everything.

#184218 Reply
    Participant

No way would I pay it.

If you have not signed anything, ask them proof that they gave you a bill and you signed and agreed to it.

#184220 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Just so I’m clear this is an HVAC issue not a monthly service. Given that I live in Chicago and everyone uses both furnaces and A/C units every year I doubt that threatening them with not being their customer anymore is going to land very hard.

Click to expand…

Well $%@!  In that case I’d go to the local office, demand to speak to the manager and bring a few buddies to come – one who can masquerade as a news reporter and the other to pretend to film with a camera – one of those ones with the big, glaring light on it.  At least it’d be a good story.

#184222 Reply
    Liked by RocDoc
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

If this is just the “call charge,” then that’s one thing.  I personally hate those, but they tend to go with the business.  But if you’re saying they charged you for diagnostics, then uh no.

Click to expand…

yeah that’s it, they are only claiming it’s the service call charge.

honestly i wouldn’t have had a problem if the guy walked me through the issue and suggested who i call but the whole thing lasted about 45 seconds, i even remarked at the time that it really could have been handled on the phone.

#184224 Reply

Reply To: Refusing to pay service bill

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear