Menu

refinancing mortgage

Home Mortgages and Home Buying refinancing mortgage

Participant

My wife and I have a mortgage of 354,000 at 4.65% with about 22 years left, and can refinance with no closing cost to either a 15 year at 3.875% or 20 years at 4.375%. If we did the 15 years it would raise our payment by $400 a month and the 20 years would keep it around the same. We are also aggressively paying off student loans of 330,000 at 5.8% over the next three years. Would it be better to just take the 3.875% for 15 years or take the 20 years which would give us a little bit more flexibility/put it toward our student loans? Thank you for your input!

#197364 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Whats your payback period if you do 20 years after closing, etc…? Is it better than say putting those closing costs in an extra payment. Run the numbers.

#197414 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

The decision to go with a 15 year mortgage creates negative $400 cash flows per month for 15 years but in years 16-22 you have positive cash flow per month of ~$2,144 (derived from the Excel PMT function based on the numbers provided).  That yields a 8.245% APY hurdle rate, or IRR.  That is a good thing working for you.

The student loans, on the other hand, are hurting you at a 5.96% APY.

I would refinance to the 15 year and pay off the student loans ASAP.

#197424 Reply
    Liked by DCdoc, Peds
    Participant
    We are also aggressively paying off student loans of 330,000 at 5.8% over the next three years.

Click to expand…

can these also be re-financed?

#197433 Reply
    Participant
    We are also aggressively paying off student loans of 330,000 at 5.8% over the next three years. 

Click to expand…

can these also be re-financed?

Click to expand…

Yeah I agree personally I’d make refinancing those student loans a high priority as well. Using the student loan refinance calculator at nerdwallet.com (just the first one that popped up on Google) if you paid $330K off in 3 years with a refinanced loan at 4% instead of 5.8% you’d save $266/month and $9592 over the course of the 3 years. You could then pay off the student loans a little more quickly or use the extra cash flow toward your newly-refinanced mortgage.

#197435 Reply
    Participant

My personal rule of thumb is that a refinance needs to be at least 50 bps lower before going through the hassle of a refinancing.  In your scenario, I would only consider the 15 year refinancing.  A rhetorical question;  Does no closing cost mean no cost at all or cost of close is rolled into the refinancing amount?  Having an extra 3 to 5k of costs potentially rolled into a refinanced loan is not something I would strongly consider unless your current option is some type of I/O loan.

Also agree with others comments; from a pure financial perspective, attacking the higher rate loan would be a better use of excess cash flow.

#197439 Reply

Reply To: refinancing mortgage

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

you're currently offline

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear