Menu

Rating patients, good or bad idea?

Home The Lounge Rating patients, good or bad idea?

Participant

https://www.physiciansweekly.com/doctors-rate-patients/

When a patient calls any physician for an appointment, staff can access the Pa-Rate website and enter the patient’s name and birth date.

A complete summary of all ratings—from 1 star to 5 stars—will appear. Data on whether a patient has ever been discharged from a practice or sued anyone will also be displayed.

Dr. Nicholas Anelka, a family practitioner from Piso Mojado, California, said, “I’m looking forward to using Pa-Rate to help me choose only the best patients for my practice.”

“It’s like Carfax, only for patients,” said Dr. van Bronckhorst.

The site will be free to all licensed physicians who register and will be supported by advertising from drug companies, device manufacturers, and malpractice insurance companies.

Patients will not be permitted to contest any ratings nor will discovery of names of physicians who submitted ratings be possible.

Not surprisingly, patient advocacy groups are up in arms about the plan claiming it may unfairly characterize certain patients. On hearing of the new service, the executive director of Patients for Justice, Leighton Baines said, “We are concerned that a single doctor who did not get along with a certain patient might unreasonably portray her as difficult.” He felt that this might hinder that patient’s ability to receive care.

Dr. van Bronckhorst countered that no one seems particularly concerned that a single negative rating from a patient or even a competing doctor with malicious intent might unfairly harm his practice.

Don’t get your hopes up, but this is satire. But why not? Just got back from using an Airbnb type condo service(homeaway?). Anyways, they rated us 5 stars as visitors. I think that might help us in the future if we use their vendors again. When you call the bank or credit card company, depending on what customer score you have will result in certain benefits you might receive. If you have a credit score, you will get better loan terms. Might this make patients a little bit more cognizant on how they might behave?

They say there’s an app for everything. Not for this. You’re not violating hippa if you say you had a bad experience with a patient. Isn’t there a retired physician/tech person on fire and embittered enough to create such an app?

#214553 Reply
    Participant

Didn’t seinfeld have an episode like this with Elaine as the patient?

#214557 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis, pulmdoc
    Participant

Glad to hear this is satire. I’ve been sued and while it’s awful and I’d give my second born away to never go through that again 😉 this would keep people from getting the medical care they need. And I think everyone should get needed medical care.

#214560 Reply
    Participant

why not?

#214569 Reply
    Participant
    wideopenspaces wrote:  And I think everyone should get needed medical care.
    Click to expand…

I can come up with some exceptions….

#214571 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

I think it’s a great idea. They can be rated on everything from realistic expectations to attitude. CMS should have to reimburse a certain percentage above their usual rates for ‘difficult and poorly rated’ patients since they’re always trying to withhold reimbursement for other factors out of physician control or completely useless metrics.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#214572 Reply
    Liked by Tim, hatton1, HikingDO
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Is it really needed? We have a form they fill out as new patients and 99% of the time I can pick out the trouble makers from what they write. However our hospital policy makes us take all comers. So it is more if a game then a useful strategy for me.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#214575 Reply
    Participant

Is it really needed? We have a form they fill out as new patients and 99% of the time I can pick out the trouble makers from what they write. However our hospital policy makes us take all comers. So it is more if a game then a useful strategy for me.

Click to expand…

There are many practices here that take HMO, but will only give limited slots per day. So discrimination against undesirable patients(lower reimbursement and more administratively burdensome) is already happening. A “hassle” patient could be similarly detrimental to a practice especially if you have multiple “hassle” patients in your day schedule. It’s worse for you and worse for the rest of your patients. You could space them out by limiting spots for them. All you need is a reliable metric. Or you could just not take them if you’re already too busy. I mean doctors already “aren’t” taking new patients all the time.

#214578 Reply
    Liked by HikingDO, MaxPower
    Participant

Image result for piso mojado california

#214583 Reply
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Good idea.
    Don’t you guys keep notes in the EHR?
    I do….

#214586 Reply
    Participant

Good idea.
    Don’t you guys keep notes in the EHR?
    I do….

Click to expand…

Does your system have a patient portal where they can access their notes? We do, and it makes me very cautious of how I document for those “special” patients.

#214588 Reply
    Liked by trebizond
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant
    Does your system have a patient portal where they can access their notes? We do, and it makes me very cautious of how I document for those “special” patients.

Click to expand…

I’ve had a complaint because I used the term ‘obese’ in a patient’s note. I had to explain that I wasn’t being cruel and that is a medical diagnosis that impacts their care.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#214591 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Participant

One way around the patients reading their notes issue is to use positive descriptors (e.g. So and so is a pleasant 42 y.o. man) every time a patient *isnt* difficult/rude/unpleasant. Then when you see that you wrote “so and so is a 42 y.o. man” you know it was a less than positive encounter, but the patient doesn’t know that shorthand to yourself if they read the note. Only works if you’re consistent about it though.

#214594 Reply
    Liked by SLC OB
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

I’ve thought about this as an app/program but for broader purposes, however, I dont know anything about anything regarding apps/coding/etc…so like all things wont go anywhere but I’ll see it realized five years from now.

You build a data set from someones mobile/social/internet connections (fb, twtr, amazon, yelp etc..etc…) and all then combine it with some “algorithm” to assess the reliability of said persons ‘reviews’ and general demeanor, black mirror like. Then you could make a global rating that weights an individuals rating given their proclivities and average ratings (negative people would be downgraded, always fives, etc…), lol, would be fun.

#214595 Reply
    Liked by jfoxcpacfp
    Participant

I often wish medicine was more like law (or at least how I perceive law to be), where you can review the case before you decide if you’re going to take it. I generally don’t mind difficult patients if there is a chance I can help them, but there are times where I know 5 minutes into it I know there is very little chance that I can help them and our expectations are not going to match up but I still have to go through the whole dog and pony show.

#214596 Reply

Reply To: Rating patients, good or bad idea?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear