Menu

Random! Not Finance! Any Computer/Tech MDs?

Home The Lounge Random! Not Finance! Any Computer/Tech MDs?

Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

FYI: anyone looking to upgrade their phone on Android, Best Buy has the Pixel 3 for $300. >50% off!

Click to expand…

So just let google all the way into your life. I try to avoid google, but of course have an android since apple is lame, and gmail.

Click to expand…

That’s like saying; trying to limit exposure of Bezo, but shop on Amazon only during holidays.   Gmail was scanned in the past (prior to 2018) but do we really trust it’s not?  Alexa — are you still listening to me?  I wonder what our Androids do.

#242939 Reply
    Hank Hank 

If you want a phone that’ll get support for more than 12 months, the new iPhones will be announce on September 10th and available for pre-order on the 13th.

#242956 Reply

Or 2 more years….whichever is easier to Google
    https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/4457705?hl=en

#242960 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Yeah I cant believe people use Alexas and such. Androids of course likely take stuff for parent google.

Its really unfortunate the no choice your allowed with this stuff effectively.

#242976 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

I know several people who worry about using Alexa and think the government is tracking their movement on their phone. These same people post pictures on Facebook and check in wherever they go.
    I am less paranoid and figure no one is really that interested in me.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#242992 Reply
    Liked by jfoxcpacfp

agree. also i take reasonable steps to limit leaks, as well as disable items on services. while not supper security savy, i do look up guides for all my devices to see what can be turned off, limited, etc.

the recent apple siri voice listening issue for instance does not affect me. siri is not on….

#242997 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

I know several people who worry about using Alexa and think the government is tracking their movement on their phone. These same people post pictures on Facebook and check in wherever they go.

Click to expand…

I dont think the government is listening, amazon is and thats known. I dont want to have amazon and facebook, etc…recording and keeping copies of every conversation I have had in the house. Its just weird and intrusive.

I also try to limit all unnecessary access. Data breaches are a fact of life now.

#242998 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

I am sure Amazon is listening. I will shut her off next time I plan a heist. But if they learn that I like classic rock and my favorite color is green so be it.
    Honestly I could get rid of the echo today because the only feature I would miss is telling her to turn off the TV when the kids lose the remote.

#243019 Reply
    Liked by RocDoc, Tim, Peds
    Participant

Click to expand…

Until you see JFox pop-up ads while surfing from posting here!

Kidding Jfox;) I love ya, and know you don’t need to advertise anymore!

Solo Internist, Midwest

#243033 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

Click to expand…

Until you see JFox pop-up ads while surfing from posting here!

Kidding Jfox;) I love ya, and know you don’t need to advertise anymore!

Click to expand…

I only wish my picture looked as good as the other CPA who advertises on this forum 😉

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#243034 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Participant

@Johanna, modesty is one of your strongest traits.
    You look MARVELOUS!

mar·vel·ous
    /ˈmärv(ə)ləs/
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective
    adjective: marvellous; adjective: marvelous
    causing great wonder; extraordinary.
    “marvelous technological toys”
    synonyms: amazing, astounding, astonishing, awesome, breathtaking, sensational, remarkable, spectacular, stupendous, staggering, stunning; More
    phenomenal, prodigious, miraculous, extraordinary, incredible, unbelievable;
    literarywondrous
    “his solo climb was marvelous”
    antonyms: ordinary
    extremely good or pleasing; splendid.
    “you have done a marvelous job”
    synonyms: excellent, splendid, wonderful, magnificent, superb, glorious, sublime, lovely, delightful, beautiful, too good to be true; More
    informalsuper, great, amazing, fantastic, terrific, tremendous, phenomenal, sensational, heavenly, gorgeous, dreamy, grand, fabulous, fab, fabby, fantabulous, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, awesome, amazeballs, to die for, magic, ace, cool, mean, bad, wicked, mega, crucial, mind-blowing, far out, A1, sound, out of this world, marvy, dope, def, phat;
    informalbrilliant, brill, smashing, bosting;
    informalneat, badass, bodacious, boss, radical, rad, peachy, boffo, bully, bitching, dandy, jim-dandy;
    informalon fleek;
    informalbeaut, bonzer;
    informalgroovy, spanking, divine;
    informalcapital, champion, wizard, corking, ripping, cracking, spiffing, top-hole, topping, beezer;
    informalswell, keen;
    informalkif, lank;
    archaicgoodly
    “we had marvelous weather”

#243043 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

Thank you (BLUSH).

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#243044 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

So the pixel 3 is only at that price this weekend and only if you get $200 from Verizon to renew contract. So yeah not that great of a deal. From what I see the phone looks good. Maybe if it comes down for real.

#243288 Reply

Ah then pass.

#243337 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Took the kids to the pool this weekend and stupidly kept my phone in my pocket.  When I had to jump in of course I was not thinking about the phone and that was the end of that. Got this phone when my oldest was born and he is 5 now.  It somehow survived the kids spilling things on it and throwing it around and watching baby shark on loop for the past 5 years.  End of an era.   Well it forced me to make a decision and get something new. Verizon will not activate old phones anymore and being without a phone is not an option for my work.   It was actually nice being without a phone for 3 days and I think I may be adjusting my use of my phone after this realization.

I found and so far really like the Motorola G7.  It is basically the newer version of the phone that got dunked.  What I cannot believe is that it only cost me $250.  Brand new.  Amazon and Walmart had it for the same price.  Verizon had the older G6 for $260 so I laughed at them and got it elsewhere.

It is nothing fancy.  It cannot compete with the flagship phones but it is 1/2-1/3 the cost.  I am not a techie and really do not care for the differences.

All this looking around got me thinking.  The cost of phones has not been going down like the rest of electronics.  I just got a 55 inch tv for $350 where 5 years ago it would have been twice that.

tl;dr

Why are phones so expensive despite everything else electronic getting cheaper?

Has anyone else enjoyed a forced break from the phone?

#245041 Reply
    Liked by Peds

Reply To: Random! Not Finance! Any Computer/Tech MDs?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear