Menu

Random! Not Finance! Any Computer/Tech MDs?

Home The Lounge Random! Not Finance! Any Computer/Tech MDs?

I happened on the WCI site looking for more investing self help. I’m a 66 yo Cardiologist.

Click to expand…

welcome, glad you stumbled onto this thread!

I’m gathering components to build 2 new machines for myself and first son, with Ryzen 7, 32 gb ram, NVME SSD for the OS, 8gb graphics card.

Click to expand…

sounds good. the new zen 2? id at least wait for launch to see how far in price the 2700’s fall.

Linux is more stable, more secure, and more efficient than Windows, and it’s free.

Click to expand…

never have gotten into linux. maybe once i retire my current laptop ill try dual booting or something.

#219854 Reply
    dawg4fr dawg4fr 
    Participant

never have gotten into linux. maybe once i retire my current laptop ill try dual booting or something.

Click to expand…

try it. you’ll like it.

you can download the appropriate .iso file, burn DVD and boot computer from that without changing anything on your system.

definitely do that before going to dual boot

distrowatch.com has details on all flavors. as I said Linux mint is pretty easy and is based on Ubuntu as is Ubuntu Mate which I use.

#219898 Reply
    Liked by Peds

Click to expand…

try it. you’ll like it.

you can download the appropriate .iso file, burn DVD and boot computer from that without changing anything on your system.

definitely do that before going to dual boot

distrowatch.com has details on all flavors. as I said Linux mint is pretty easy and is based on Ubuntu as is Ubuntu Mate which I use.

Click to expand…

i think part of the reason is why there are so many **** versions of linux. which do i choose? why are there so many? other reason is gaming. its just not there yet.

out of curiosity, do you use W10 as well, or have you completely sworn off?

#219901 Reply
    dawg4fr dawg4fr 
    Participant

yes, but very little personal use. TurboTax- no linux tax sw;  have to use it to update my Garmin, but I just need to get used to using my android phone for GPS. Android is based on Linux BTW.

I have Win10 on the computers in the office. I could use Linux like at home to access the EHR. We pay the hosp system a monthly fee and use Epic in the office. But the IT folks won’t support Linux

#219913 Reply
    Liked by Peds
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Over my adult years my hobbies have been Photography, my computers and firing accountants (the stories I could tell). As I approach retirement I know I’ve been pretty successful in my DIY investing, but hope to make it a more formal, organized hobby.

I’m gathering components to build 2 new machines for myself and first son, with Ryzen 7, 32 gb ram, NVME SSD for the OS, 8gb graphics card. And I’ll probably use 2 monitor setup.

Linux is more stable, more secure, and more efficient than Windows, and it’s free. I’ve never used any Apple products so I can’t comment on that. But, if we’re talking about building from components, and very likely controlling costs, then Apple wouldn’t be part of that equation.

Click to expand…

If you use the cpu for photography purposes as well, I’d install lightroom and photoshop right the motherboard NVME drive, along with a small working/import folder. That helps. Definitely utilize 2 monitors as well, lets you have a full size preview and a working window.

I thought the linux thing was no more updates? Have had zero issues with new win10 pro. quick, not a hog, etc…but did get my own license and no fillers. I dont have much on my computer other than those programs and photos, so maybe I just dont do enough to notice. I could use a graphics card as sometimes playing with photos starts to eat into speed, but its minimal.

#219929 Reply
    Liked by Peds
    Participant

Definitely a geek here.  Don’t build computers anymore (last was during medical school).  Primarily use Macs.

I do, however, have a pretty expensive networking bug.

Currently have Ubiquiti equipment throughout house (UniFi Security Gateway Pro router, 48-port UniFi master switched with PoE, numerous satellite switches (mainly US-8’s, but two are powered switches and not powered by master switch through PoE), 3 UniFi AP SHD’s (802.11ac, get about 600 Mbps throughput), 1 UniFi IW-HD).  Have a pfSense router with dual Xeon processors serving as an OpenVPN server for remote connections.  Have a 64 TB NAS (Synology RS-1815+ with expansion unit).  Thinking of upgrading it soon.

All of this is stored in a really nice lockable network rack in the basement.  Oh yea, have Comcast Gigabit Pro (2+1 Gbps down, 1 Gbps up).

Click to expand…

I’ve wanted to get into networking as well; however, I can’t seem to understand the justification for obtaining this type of equipment for a home setup. What do you use it for?

#220017 Reply
    Participant

Definitely a geek here.  Don’t build computers anymore (last was during medical school).  Primarily use Macs.

I do, however, have a pretty expensive networking bug.

Currently have Ubiquiti equipment throughout house (UniFi Security Gateway Pro router, 48-port UniFi master switched with PoE, numerous satellite switches (mainly US-8’s, but two are powered switches and not powered by master switch through PoE), 3 UniFi AP SHD’s (802.11ac, get about 600 Mbps throughput), 1 UniFi IW-HD).  Have a pfSense router with dual Xeon processors serving as an OpenVPN server for remote connections.  Have a 64 TB NAS (Synology RS-1815+ with expansion unit).  Thinking of upgrading it soon.

All of this is stored in a really nice lockable network rack in the basement.  Oh yea, have Comcast Gigabit Pro (2+1 Gbps down, 1 Gbps up).

Click to expand…

I’ve wanted to get into networking as well; however, I can’t seem to understand the justification for obtaining this type of equipment for a home setup. What do you use it for?

Click to expand…

I have a 7200 sq ft home, so the access points are needed to get a decent 5 GHz signal throughout the house.  pfSense router used for an OpenVPN server to accomplish two functions: encrypt data when using public wifi so nobody can snoop and also to access my home network.  I can print a website, email, Word document, letter, etc. while away from home.  Likewise, I can access my NAS while away to obtain a file that I need (like a PowerPoint presentation).  The NAS is primarily for my wife.  She is a photographer and uses a lot of space.  This is configured in a RAID 10 fashion to automatically create a duplicate of everything.  It’s backed up off-site during the night so that a couple won’t lose their wedding photos if the house burns.

#226004 Reply

FYI: anyone looking to upgrade their phone on Android, Best Buy has the Pixel 3 for $300. >50% off!

#242854 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

FYI: anyone looking to upgrade their phone on Android, Best Buy has the Pixel 3 for $300. >50% off!

Click to expand…

So just let google all the way into your life. I try to avoid google, but of course have an android since apple is lame, and gmail.

#242864 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

You guys probably aren’t going to believe this but, due to a series of everything that can go wrong has gone wrong, my mesh system is still not set up. At the moment, it’s supposedly my outside cable and the AT&T tech’s in the South are on strike. Or at least were earlier this week. Or at least, that’s their story. I’d consider POTS – but we haven’t had a landline in 12 yrs lol.

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#242874 Reply

Click to expand…

So just let google all the way into your life. I try to avoid google, but of course have an android since apple is lame, and gmail.

Click to expand…

so what are you standing against exactly?…..

#242882 Reply

You guys probably aren’t going to believe this but, due to a series of everything that can go wrong has gone wrong, my mesh system is still not set up. At the moment, it’s supposedly my outside cable and the AT&T tech’s in the South are on strike. Or at least were earlier this week. Or at least, that’s their story. I’d consider POTS – but we haven’t had a landline in 12 yrs lol.

Click to expand…

ugh thats actually terrible.

#242883 Reply
    Liked by jfoxcpacfp
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

so what are you standing against exactly?…..

Click to expand…

wishful thinking I guess

#242886 Reply
    Liked by Panscan, Peds
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

I have a 5 year old Droid turbo that is slowly self destructing. Is the pixel 3 a good phone? I am not going to switch to apple. My wife is unhappy with her Galaxy.
    It crapped out on me when I was trying to take a picture of my sons preschool graduation. That was the last straw and I started looking for a new phone but got paralysis from all the options.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#242934 Reply

Yes, for 300. The pixel 4 will debut prob in Oct.

But if you are using an out of date unsecure 5 year old phone….a 1 year old flagship for > 50% off will do just fine.

#242938 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis

Reply To: Random! Not Finance! Any Computer/Tech MDs?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear