Menu

Random! Not Finance! Any Computer/Tech MDs?

Home The Lounge Random! Not Finance! Any Computer/Tech MDs?

• Zzyzx Zzyzx 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

That is a serious case! Did you see dave2d video about it?
    Agree, my next upgrade will be 144Hz…. Which then will justify a GPU upgrade….. Which then…..

Click to expand…

I’ll just leave this here…

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor-S2719DGF/dp/B00N2L5CXO/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=27%22+Dell+S2719DGF&qid=1559228886&s=gateway&sr=8-3

It’s psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I’ll get a saw.

#218080 Reply
    Participant

Agree, my next upgrade will be 144Hz…. Which then will justify a GPU upgrade….. Which then…..

Click to expand…

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor-S2719DGF/dp/B00N2L5CXO/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=27%22+Dell+S2719DGF&qid=1559228886&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Click to expand…

ha thanks.

its a TN though, ill pass for now.

#218083 Reply
    Zzyzx Zzyzx 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

ha thanks.

its a TN though, ill pass for now.

Click to expand…

I run dual monitors, one IPS and one TN

TN > IPS for games and most computer activities

IPS > TN for movies & videos, HDR is getting better

VA…. ??? why does this exist?

#218088 Reply

In my opinion the best games do not need a top notch computer.  Best computer games this decade are FTL and the creeper world series.  Both very low budget and can run on almost any computer.  A lot of replay-ability and both easy to pause and do in between things.

Last decade hands down C&C Red Alert 2.  I logged some serious hours on that one.  I used to play over dial up and hog the phone line for hours.

I was mostly a console gamer and still have them all in a box somewhere.  Having kids sucked up the last bit of my free time for that though.  But it is fun now that my oldest is at an age that we can break out my old Mario Kart and Smash Brothers.   It will only get better from here.  Until they start to beat me for real…

Click to expand…

Supreme Commander/Forged Alliance and Homeworld 2 (with mods) are two other rts’s that have stood up well to the tests of time.  You may enjoy those if you haven’t tried them yet.

I’m currently working on Total War: Three Kingdoms which is masterfully done.  I’m watching the Chinese drama at the same time which is making the game come alive for me. I wish other games had something like this.

Back on topic –  For anyone who is looking to build your own first rig, be careful with your case selection.

Today’s cpu/gpu’s put out an incredible amount of heat and, unless you plan on water-cooling, large cases tend to be better for air circulation than the form-fitting smaller cases that many people go with for their first builds.   They also give you more room for later expansion (tossing in that extra gpu, nic, whatever).

Not saying you can’t get safe temps with a small case and a decent air-flow plan, but many first time builders see high temps (and system instability) because not enough air is cycling through the case.

Also, fans are cheap, even the quiet ones.  Better to have too many than too little.

#218091 Reply
    Participant
    Back on topic – For anyone who is looking to build your own first rig, be careful with your case selection. Today’s cpu/gpu’s put out an incredible amount of heat and, unless you plan on water-cooling, large cases tend to be better for air circulation than the form-fitting smaller cases that many people go with for their first builds. They also give you more room for later expansion (tossing in that extra gpu, nic, whatever). Not saying you can’t get safe temps with a small case and a decent air-flow plan, but many first time builders see high temps (and system instability) because not enough air is cycling through the case. Also, fans are cheap, even the quiet ones. Better to have too many than too little.

Click to expand…

I am a big fan of larger cases ( mid tower is a minimum) and larger motherboards.

The bigger cases allow you to put larger and more fans. With the large number of power cables coming from the PSU the airflow gets restricted even with good cable management with use of ties. So more fans is a great bonus. I also got tired of getting nicks/cuts/bruises trying to squeeze in components into tiny spaces in small cases. I would rather spend more and get a bigger case where my hands fit in easily and the SATA cables or RAM does not impede me putting in an extra hard drive.

I also like the standard ATX motherboards. These usually have more slots that are well spaced out. I hate the microATX boards with one or two slots cramped close together.

But then, fan noise from larger cases does not affect me.

#218288 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Back on topic – For anyone who is looking to build your own first rig, be careful with your case selection. Today’s cpu/gpu’s put out an incredible amount of heat and, unless you plan on water-cooling, large cases tend to be better for air circulation than the form-fitting smaller cases that many people go with for their first builds. They also give you more room for later expansion (tossing in that extra gpu, nic, whatever). Not saying you can’t get safe temps with a small case and a decent air-flow plan, but many first time builders see high temps (and system instability) because not enough air is cycling through the case. Also, fans are cheap, even the quiet ones. Better to have too many than too little.

Click to expand…

I am a big fan of larger cases ( mid tower is a minimum) and larger motherboards.

The bigger cases allow you to put larger and more fans. With the large number of power cables coming from the PSU the airflow gets restricted even with good cable management with use of ties. So more fans is a great bonus. I also got tired of getting nicks/cuts/bruises trying to squeeze in components into tiny spaces in small cases. I would rather spend more and get a bigger case where my hands fit in easily and the SATA cables or RAM does not impede me putting in an extra hard drive.

I also like the standard ATX motherboards. These usually have more slots that are well spaced out. I hate the microATX boards with one or two slots cramped close together.

But then, fan noise from larger cases does not affect me.

Click to expand…

I think I have a mini ATX mb, cant recall, I just feel like I got a full sized case that was one step larger than my motherboard, it has more slots than I use, and the extra large case had way more fans, and they dont bother me either.

#218460 Reply
    Liked by Kamban, Peds
    Hank Hank 

Bigger fans at (relatively) slower speeds plus water cooling keeps my i7 and nVidia 1080 system quiet enough, even under load. The switch from spinning platters to M2 solid state storage helped more than I expected too.

#218472 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

Internet speed and latency remain our chief issue.

On the chassis, agreed that it’s the choice of SSS that makes a huge difference as its most commonly source of the bottleneck.  Our primary is SSS and backup RAID system which probably slows things down a bit too but worth it.  We keep the RAID external in case of emergencys it’s a two second grab and next to our ‘go bag’.

I had favored MiniATX before we went AIO.  No need for 5+ slots anymore.  In the past with multiple proprietary connections, yes, but rarely anymore — unless you still have a zipdrive and need SCSI 🙂

#218487 Reply
    Participant
    The switch from spinning platters to M2 solid state storage helped more than I expected too.

Click to expand…

this is the single biggest/best upgrade someone can do to an old system (desktop or laptop).

everyone please move off HDD to SSD!

#218490 Reply
    Liked by justlearning
    Participant

Internet speed and latency remain our chief issue.

Click to expand…

what speeds do you currently get?

latency of your network you mean? an easy thing to look at is setting a 3rd party DNS on your router to see if that helps.

#218491 Reply
    Participant

For all you Mac Pro ppl: thoughts on wwdc?
    Do any of you have a need to purchase either the cheese greater or monitor for your line of work?

I personally plan to de-friend anyone that buys the stand 😒

#219235 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Do any of you have a need to purchase either the cheese greater or monitor for your line of work?

I personally plan to de-friend anyone that buys the stand 😒

Click to expand…

I couldnt imagine paying top dollar for old tech that you couldnt customize to your needs and never replace or update easily (could be wrong for this particular product, i dont care much for apple tech wise, too much for too little).

#219311 Reply
    Liked by Peds
    Participant

I couldnt imagine paying top dollar for old tech that you couldnt customize to your needs and never replace or update easily (could be wrong for this particular product, i dont care much for apple tech wise, too much for too little).

Click to expand…

I am a typical example of “you cannot teach an old dog new tricks”.

After just a couple of years of Win 3.1 (and later 3.11 and Win 95 ) I was introduced to Apple products at  my fellowship workplace in the early 90’s. There were about 3 macs and 7-8 windows workstations in that computer library. Even though Macs are supposed to be intuitive somehow I could never find a way of learning how to use it. I also found out that surprisingly the Macs were idle and the Windows machines always had someone using it. I would hang around till one of those Windows machine became free and lunge towards that empty chair.

Over the years I have built and used many Windows machines and did not use Apple products except iPad and iPhone. But my wife wanted a Mac laptop because everyone was raving about how easy it was to use and how virus free it was, that I got her one for her birthday. But I have never been able to figure how how to use it that I have given up on it. Yet I can easily find out why a Win machine does not boot up and can go to the setup and boot menus and make changes so that the problem gets sorted out.  Somewhere along the way I have lost my ability to learn a different technology, by being too cheap and not buying those expensive machines and learning how to use them. Oh well…

#219338 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, Peds
    Zzyzx Zzyzx 
    Participant

I personally plan to de-friend anyone that buys the stand

Click to expand…

that case design is a dust magnet – break out the canned air.  Coffee lake, no PCIe4, no NVidia support ???

barf

No one wants a 1.4 kw heater in their home

#219363 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, Peds
    dawg4fr dawg4fr 
    Participant

I happened on the WCI site looking for more investing self help. I’m a 66 yo Cardiologist.

Over my adult years my hobbies have been Photography, my computers and firing accountants (the stories I could tell). As I approach retirement I know I’ve been pretty successful in my DIY investing, but hope to make it a more formal, organized hobby.

Regarding my computers, I’ve been building my own for over 30 yrs, since a techie friend helped me upgrade my first IBM PC (8086 cpu) to 256 Kb RAM (required an AST expansion card) and slapped a 10 mb hdd in that sucker. Wait, no I think it was 5 mb. Played Flight Simulator and used DB III to keep up with hospital rounds. That was ‘85 or ‘86.

After the 386 came out, about every 5 years or so I’d build new machines for myself, my wife and 2 sons.

My current main machine, built 6-7 yrs ago, is an i5 with 16 gb ram, 500 gb Samsung SSD (added that 1 yr ago) just a 2 gb GeForce graphics card and using a 32” Visio HDTV for monitor. It’s relatively fast. Especially after moving OS to the SSD.

I also use 2 laptops, both about 10 yrs old, bought used, an Acer 15.5” and an HP 14”. Both had i5 CPUs and 4 gb RAM. I have max upgraded the cpus and RAM in both (low end i7 and 8 gb) and switched HDD to SSD. Those components were very inexpensive. The laptops meet my needs. Yes, they’re heaver than modern ultra-thins, but I’m ok with that.

I’m gathering components to build 2 new machines for myself and first son, with Ryzen 7, 32 gb ram, NVME SSD for the OS, 8gb graphics card. And I’ll probably use 2 monitor setup.

But, in all those years, the most important thing I’ve learned and changed is the operating system and software. I’ve gone completely open source. It was aggravating when the OS was the most expensive component, and I was feeling guilty that I had installed some software more times than the licenses permitted. I started playing around with Linux about 20 yrs ago, and about 12 yrs ago went full time. As Linux got easier to install and use, what finally convinced me was that I got my son’s first college laptop when he needed more power his senior year. I checked it while running Windows, idling. The OS was using over 60% of the computer’s resources. I wiped the hdd, installed Linux and it was using less than half the resources the original OS did. I can find an open source solution for just about anything I want to do, except my taxes. I know I could do them online but I dual boot on one machine to run TurboTax every year. I can get on the hospital’s Citrix server and EPIC EMR remotely through linux, for any work I need to do from home.

Linux is more stable, more secure, and more efficient than Windows, and it’s free. I’ve never used any Apple products so I can’t comment on that. But, if we’re talking about building from components, and very likely controlling costs, then Apple wouldn’t be part of that equation.

There are several versions of Linux that are very easy to use, like Mint. I currently use Ubuntu Mate and am happy with it.

I’m not some evangelistic fanboy. I’m a scientist who has experimented with many things and am relaying what I’ve learned from my experiences.

For those who decide to build their machines from components, I think you can find it to be an educational, fun and rewarding experience.

#219814 Reply
    Liked by Peds

Reply To: Random! Not Finance! Any Computer/Tech MDs?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear