Menu

Random! Not Finance! Any Computer/Tech MDs?

Home The Lounge Random! Not Finance! Any Computer/Tech MDs?

Participant

Have enough trouble with my 3x 24 core by 64 GB servers….  Can’t wait to go to cloud to get to 96 core by 128 GB per server.

#217310 Reply
    Liked by Peds

Have enough trouble with my 3x 24 core by 64 GB servers….  Can’t wait to go to cloud to get to 96 core by 128 GB per server.

Click to expand…

ooo. ive not dabbled in server hardware….

this is for your home?

#217311 Reply
    Participant

Definitely a geek here.  Don’t build computers anymore (last was during medical school).  Primarily use Macs.

I do, however, have a pretty expensive networking bug.

Currently have Ubiquiti equipment throughout house (UniFi Security Gateway Pro router, 48-port UniFi master switched with PoE, numerous satellite switches (mainly US-8’s, but two are powered switches and not powered by master switch through PoE), 3 UniFi AP SHD’s (802.11ac, get about 600 Mbps throughput), 1 UniFi IW-HD).  Have a pfSense router with dual Xeon processors serving as an OpenVPN server for remote connections.  Have a 64 TB NAS (Synology RS-1815+ with expansion unit).  Thinking of upgrading it soon.

All of this is stored in a really nice lockable network rack in the basement.  Oh yea, have Comcast Gigabit Pro (2+1 Gbps down, 1 Gbps up).

#217312 Reply
    Liked by StarTrekDoc, Peds
    Definitely a geek here. […]  Primarily use Macs.

Click to expand…

easy joke here!

Currently have Ubiquiti equipment throughout house

Click to expand…

have heard good things. once we settle down was a thought.

Have a pfSense router with dual Xeon processors serving as an OpenVPN server for remote connections.

Click to expand…

maybe one day….i just cant justify for the two of us.

Oh yea, have Comcast Gigabit Pro (2+1 Gbps down, 1 Gbps up).

Click to expand…

ahhh there it is. 8K all the things….

#217313 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant
    this is for your home?

Click to expand…

Definitely not.  Run an ETL application on top of it for Data conversion/Data Quality, some batch integration.

#217511 Reply
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant
    My next project: $10k PC 

Click to expand…

ha. slight overkill. but if you gotta ball….

Built all my own computers growing up. 

Click to expand…

nice. other than obvious portability/ease, any reason you dropped a dedicated desktop?

thanks for the info!

Click to expand…

college, med school, and residency…no need for a gaming rig.  Now as attending, more time for a gaming rig. =D

Click to expand…

I think this is my next move. Seems like everything I’ve enjoyed on console has been released for PC as well w/ vastly superior graphics. At some point hoping for a gaming chair, massive TV, the whole thing.

Tempted to start a gaming thread in the Lounge. Currently losing way too much time to Rimworld. Don’t knock it until you try it.

#217649 Reply
    Liked by Peds
    Participant

Used to build and spend days upons days at the likes of RS and then Incredible Universe and then Fry’s.   Alas, got lazy — better yet, the affordability of putting together cheap computers from Dell killed the costs of putting together own computers.  Never got into hard-core gaming, just enjoyed putting stuff together.

Then moved onto home automation even before x10 standards.   Stuff like Ring and alexa these days are so nice to have.

Most things these days now are much more mundane — network optimize for streaming.  RAID for drives and backup photo collections to share with family.  coordinating multiple families on shared plans (cable/netflix) and planning.

Gotten lazy on the home computer stuff —  Dell XPS 27 now for the primary home with two external HDD in RAID configuration that backups to the cloud too and streams to family for sharing.

But one household with cable and rest of 5 families share virtually 🙂    Amazon too smart to allow more than 2 addresses on PRIME.

#217680 Reply
    Liked by Peds

I build a new gaming rig every two years or so.  I tell myself that I can also use it for work, but that’s just making myself feel better. 😉

I’m at the three year mark now since, aside from some gpu strides, the processor market has been rather stagnant.  My i7 4790k has been handling everything I throw at it (game and work-wise).  I do have 32 gigs of ddr4 on my board and I upgraded to twin 1080 ti’s last year, but that’s been it.

That being said, AMD’s new Ryzen 3000’s are interesting and may actually make me pull the trigger on the next build.  Hype aside, I’m waiting to see what some real-world benchmarks are and then we’ll see.  The last time I touched an AMD processor was in the early 2000’s.

#217685 Reply
    Liked by ITEngineer, Peds
    Seems like everything I’ve enjoyed on console has been released for PC as well w/ vastly superior graphics.

Click to expand…

you can make everything vastly superior on your own rig.

Currently losing way too much time to Rimworld.

Click to expand…

interesting. will take a look.

#217693 Reply
    Never got into hard-core gaming, just enjoyed putting stuff together.

Click to expand…

definitely.

way better to antagonize, build, OC, benchmark.

im still not good at games after all these years….

Then moved onto home automation even before x10 standards.

Click to expand…

im sure this bug will get me once we actually have a home

#217695 Reply
    I build a new gaming rig every two years or so.

Click to expand…

excellent. i think the spouse would murder me…

twin 1080 ti’s last year, but that’s been it.

Click to expand…

yea. small. simple. like it.

That being said, AMD’s new Ryzen 3000’s are interesting and may actually make me pull the trigger on the next build.  Hype aside, I’m waiting to see what some real-world benchmarks are and then we’ll see.  The last time I touched an AMD processor was in the early 2000’s.

Click to expand…

i upgraded from an i5 760 to R5 1600. so that gives you an idea how long i wait….

i highly recommend going AMD now. its been glitch free for me.

PCIE 4, raid NVME…oh my

and you can still throw 2080 TIs at it….

#217696 Reply
    Participant
    just wondering, any computer/tech junkies out there? build your own systems, following computex right now, home networking, etc? i dont find many ppl at work with this interest. i do find some patients every blue moon who know a fair bit. for me:

Click to expand…

There was a thread on this a year or so ago. Can’t find it on search.

I don’t do gaming so I don’t build high end systems. I got tired of breakdowns of min-systems that I bought and had no way to repair it. I had changed parts in my home computer since 1990. One day I decided to start building them using components from TigerDirect and NewEgg, I have built many desktops over the years for my office and home. Usually use Gigabyte or Asus MB. I am cheap, hence I use AMD CPU. I use standard mid range video cards, PSU, memory and SSD. Recycle the DVD drives, fans and sometimes the case. It takes me more time to install the OS than assembling it.

I have built two servers but had some trouble with the RAID system on a Win 2012R2. Luckily there is a not much need for servers. I might just buy the next one rather than trying to put together another Xeon system.

#217711 Reply
    Liked by Peds
    Wally World Wally World 
    Participant
    Tempted to start a gaming thread in the Lounge.

Click to expand…

I’d be down for that. I’m mainly a console player (probably play through 2-3 AAA titles per year on average, just finished Days Gone on PS4) though also dabble in retro gaming (MAME, RetroArch, DAPHNE, etc). Wish I was better at Pac-man and Donkey Kong. Don’t know much about the hardware front, though did manage to set up a Raspberry Pi emulating a Nintendo Hot Spot so the kids could get plenty of StreetPass Tags at home (until big N put a kibosh on that last year 🙁 )

#217712 Reply
    Liked by Peds
    Rogue Dad, M.D. Rogue Dad, M.D. 
    Participant

I used to be hardcore techy but haven’t built a system since residency. I’m board certified in informatics now because I like data and tech, but sadly I don’t get to spend a lot of time building/playing games anymore. Back in highschool I actually ran a BBS using WWIV.

Now when I play games it’s console (Xbox one of my kids switch), but only rarely. Love my RPGs like Fallout. Don’t have the reflexes for the first person shooters — I get fragged way to quick. But I’ll take anyone on in Mario Kart. I used multiplayer of that game to help me decide what medical school to attend.

http://www.RogueDadMD.com

An alt-brown look at medicine, money, faith, and family

#217765 Reply
    Liked by Peds
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Hardly play video games. There were some storms this weekend and we broke out the xbox one, got a couple games. Between updates and loading the thing was idle for 95%+ of the time, so annoying. Did used to play cpu games like age of empires (been that long yes), some ww2 shooter, etc…they take so much time, which i’ve only converted to interwebs I guess.

#217772 Reply
    Liked by Peds

Reply To: Random! Not Finance! Any Computer/Tech MDs?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear