Menu

Random! Not Finance! Any Computer/Tech MDs?

Home The Lounge Random! Not Finance! Any Computer/Tech MDs?

Participant

just wondering, any computer/tech junkies out there? build your own systems, following computex right now, home networking, etc?

i dont find many ppl at work with this interest.  i do find some patients every blue moon who know a fair bit.

for me:

– Desktop: built myself. R5 1600 + RX 480. 120mm AIO + MSI B350 MB + 16GB G. Skill DDR4. Ultra II + 840 EVO + HDD. NZXT S340. Logitech Prodigy + G403.

– Laptop: XPS 13 9343. Re-paste + UV. 860 EVO M.2. Logitech M705.

– Phone: Was Android. Then iPhone. Now Android: Pixel 3. Spigen case.

– Network: currently not impressive but AC all around.

– Anything you want to add….anything else you want to know?

no? just me? ok…..*coffee slurp*

#217258 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, ACN
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

Assume you’re probably napping after that looooooong post, and I realize I’m not your target audience, but what’s your question?

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~ 270-247-0555
    https://fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only/

#217276 Reply
    Participant
    R5 1600 + RX 480. 120mm AIO + MSI B350 MB + 16GB G. Skill DDR4. Ultra II + 840 EVO + HDD. NZXT S340. Logitech Prodigy + G403

Click to expand…

so if somebody asked for the translation of that, I suppose that would answer your question?

#217277 Reply
    Liked by EndoRobert, Peds
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

Assume you’re probably napping after that looooooong post, and I realize I’m not your target audience, but what’s your question?

Click to expand…

It’s the first sentence.

I will talk for a long time about certain things!

#217279 Reply
    Participant

R5 1600 + RX 480. 120mm AIO + MSI B350 MB + 16GB G. Skill DDR4. Ultra II + 840 EVO + HDD. NZXT S340. Logitech Prodigy + G403

Click to expand…

so if somebody asked for the translation of that, I suppose that would answer your question?

Click to expand…

👍

#217281 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

Click to expand…

It’s the first sentence.

I will talk for a long time about certain things!

Click to expand…

Ah, I get it now. You’re not asking for advice, just looking for someone who speaks your language!👌

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~ 270-247-0555
    https://fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only/

#217283 Reply
    Liked by Peds
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

I wouldnt call myself a techie, but I know it isnt hard to build a desktop, so I did it late 2016 maybe early 2017.

Its got a i7-7700, 16 GB ddr4 ballistix. Have a gigabyte z270m-d3h. 960 EVO 250gb PCIe M.2NVMe (these are amazing), 850 EVO 250GB SSD, 4TB internal backup HD, and a 6TB external backup HD. 3 dell U2415 monitors.

Didnt know enough about native graphics support and so all of my monitors are on different types, mdpi, hdmi, vgma with adapter…natively which is nice, but I’d prefer conformity and simplicity instead.

Went to android for S5 and havent looked back, a 9+ now and its great.

I dont know too much about my network other than I have my own 2.4/5 router and the 2.4 dies intermittently but scheduled it seems, killing my deebots usefulness. Wifi card is set for high throughput.

My laptop is a 15 inch HP with an i7, I think 8 gb ram and I dont know anything else about it other than it was a steal as a returned item to best buy/open box 4 years ago now. Had to replace battery once.

#217284 Reply
    Liked by Peds
    ACN ACN 

Built all my own computers growing up.  Currently, just use a laptop..XoticPC ASUS STRiX, core i7, 970m gtx, 256 SSD.

I’ve had andriod since it’s been around.  Have a GalaxyS8 currently.

Wifi is Synology RT2600AC router, building mesh network with MR2200ac in our new home.

My next project:

$10k PC

If you're ever having a bad day, just remember in 1976 Ronald Wayne sold his 10% stake in Apple for $2,300.

#217285 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, Peds
    Participant

Its got a i7-7700, 16 GB ddr4 ballistix. Have a gigabyte z270m-d3h. 960 EVO 250gb PCIe M.2NVMe (these are amazing), 850 EVO 250GB SSD, 4TB internal backup HD, and a 6TB external backup HD. 3 dell U2415 monitors.

Click to expand…

excellent. im assuming its a 7700K?

ive yet to use a NVME drive in my personal systems. cant justify a use case or MB upgrade yet. i agree though, they are amazing.

had one of the old school dell US, still miss it. i think i gave it to the in laws……

Didnt know enough about native graphics support and so all of my monitors are on different types, mdpi, hdmi, vgma with adapter…natively which is nice, but I’d prefer conformity and simplicity instead.

Click to expand…

look into a used 1050/TI or RX 570 if you want more expansive/easier monitor support.

Click to expand…

definitely miss expandable storage. what version is it on? or did you install a ROM? the fragmented security/update of android made me leave initially.

thanks for the info!

#217291 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant
    My next project: $10k PC

Click to expand…

ha. slight overkill. but if you gotta ball….

Built all my own computers growing up.

Click to expand…

nice. other than obvious portability/ease, any reason you dropped a dedicated desktop?

thanks for the info!

#217294 Reply
    Participant
    but I know it isnt hard to build a desktop, so I did it late 2016 maybe early 2017.

Click to expand…

also, yes, its definitely not.

if anyone has been thinking of doing it, highly recommend!

#217296 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Click to expand…

excellent. im assuming its a 7700K?

ive yet to use a NVME drive in my personal systems. cant justify a use case or MB upgrade yet. i agree though, they are amazing.

had one of the old school dell US, still miss it. i think i gave it to the in laws……

Click to expand…

look into a used 1050/TI or RX 570 if you want more expansive/easier monitor support.

Click to expand…

definitely miss expandable storage. what version is it on? or did you install a ROM? the fragmented security/update of android made me leave initially.

thanks for the info!

Click to expand…

They are super cheap and crazy fast, what else is necessary? I put every system stuffs on there and critical things while everything else off board. It literally loads up before I can pick my head up from seeing the push of the power button. I’ve actually repeatedly restarted the cpu because it did so fast I thought it hadnt done it yet. I put lightroom and photoshop on there but I had it before I started doing that.

I do hate the recent Pie android update. Im somewhat nihilistic on security and think its mostly theater so dont feel any phone really protects you much better than another. Would love to be wrong.

#217298 Reply
    Liked by Peds
    ACN ACN 
    My next project: $10k PC 

Click to expand…

ha. slight overkill. but if you gotta ball….

Built all my own computers growing up. 

Click to expand…

nice. other than obvious portability/ease, any reason you dropped a dedicated desktop?

thanks for the info!

Click to expand…

college, med school, and residency…no need for a gaming rig.  Now as attending, more time for a gaming rig. =D

If you're ever having a bad day, just remember in 1976 Ronald Wayne sold his 10% stake in Apple for $2,300.

#217300 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, Peds
    Participant
    They are super cheap and crazy fast, what else is necessary?

Click to expand…

like i said, just cant justify replacing my ultra II right now.

definitely next build will have it.

I do hate the recent Pie android update. Im somewhat nihilistic on security and think its mostly theater so dont feel any phone really protects you much better than another. Would love to be wrong.

Click to expand…

interesting. why?

no didnt mean that. more in the sense of didnt even realize S5 was still supported and got Pie. while both systems are equally a problem, a system that is years out of date will always be worse.

#217304 Reply
    Participant

Now as attending, more time for a gaming rig. =D

Click to expand…

dooo itttt!

let me know if you want to bounce around any ideas…

#217305 Reply

Reply To: Random! Not Finance! Any Computer/Tech MDs?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear