Menu

Public vs Private College

Home The Lounge Public vs Private College

Participant

Told both of our kids that we’d pay 100% of the cost of an instate public college for undergrad. If they choose a private college, they need to make up the difference in loans or scholarships, unless there’s a VERY legitimate reason for private school (like they want to be a marine biologist, which you obviously can’t do in Arizona!). Grad school is their responsibility.

#240464 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Participant

I think it’s kid dependent. My 11 yo says he wants to go to MIT or cal tech. If he actually gets in, we’ll make it happen. I do plan for my kids to work during college for a couple reasons- I want them to learn how to work for someone else as I think you learn how to adult that way. And I want them to learn to manage their time, balancing academics with their work and social life. Important skills to master, in my opinion. But ultimately we will probably cover school regardless of major. I have a strong family history of addiction so as long as they end up as productive human beings contributing to the world in a positive way, I don’t care about the details.

Hank Hank 
    unless there’s a VERY legitimate reason for private school (like they want to be a marine biologist, which you obviously can’t do in Arizona!

Click to expand…

You don’t necessarily need to pay for a private school for marine biology.  Since you’re in Arizona, look for a marine biology program at a WICHE school.  The Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education offers reciprocal reduced tuition for other western states (plus Hawai’i, Guam, and the Marianas islands).

For marine biology, it looks like you have the following options and Western Undergraduate Exchange tuition rates:

University of Alaska Southeast, Juneau Campus  $9,540

Western Washington University  $10,715

University of Hawaii at Manoa  $16,632

#240496 Reply
    abds abds 
    Participant

3 kids all under 6. I plan to pay for 4 years of undergrad at whatever college they want regardless of major. They are on their own for anything more than 4 years or grad school.

They will have decent 529s by the time they start college so if they don’t use the whole 529 (inexpensive school or scholarship or whatever), they can use the rest to take more than 4 years or pay for [part of] grad school.

Obviously there’s a lot of time left for these things to change so we’ll see what actually happens.

#240541 Reply
    Participant

if kid knows EXACT major and there are few schools which offer it…then you just look at those schools. Doesn’t really matter public or private.  Example: My kids college you can get a B.S in Poultry Science…..  Not offered at Harvard or any other of the swanky ivy private schools that I have stumbled on.  This school is a public school, but if you don’t live in that state, the non-resident tuition is 54K/year….. but if you want to major in poultry science…..there are 20 schools to pick from in the US.  that’s it.

Basically my point if the major of study is narrow or only offered at small number of schools, then major is going to drive the train.

If finances are driving obviously in state public would be a bargain compared to private or non-resident public.

#240547 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

I guess FLP is lucky. Kids have been accepted early decision to Harvard class of 2027 and 2028 and they are accepting early full tuition payment for four years at current tuition rate.

#240555 Reply
    Participant

if kid knows EXACT major and there are few schools which offer it…then you just look at those schools. Doesn’t really matter public or private.  Example: My kids college you can get a B.S in Poultry Science…..  Not offered at Harvard or any other of the swanky ivy private schools that I have stumbled on.  This school is a public school, but if you don’t live in that state, the non-resident tuition is 54K/year….. but if you want to major in poultry science…..there are 20 schools to pick from in the US.  that’s it.

Basically my point if the major of study is narrow or only offered at small number of schools, then major is going to drive the train.

If finances are driving obviously in state public would be a bargain compared to private or non-resident public.

Click to expand…

poultry science?

#240560 Reply
    Liked by bean1970
    Participant
    This school is a public school, but if you don’t live in that state, the non-resident tuition is 54K/year….. but if you want to major in poultry science…..there are 20 schools to pick from in the US. that’s it. Basically my point if the major of study is narrow or only offered at small number of schools, then major is going to drive the train.

Click to expand…

I might burst an aneurysm if my kid wanted to do Poultry science and I plonked 54K per year for it and two years later she decides to change her major to something like psychology, which she could have got for $7K easily at State U.

#240578 Reply
    Liked by bean1970, Lordosis
    Participant
    poultry science?

Click to expand…

yup.  i only know this really because 1) you could major in Pol Sci where i went to school as well (one of the 20 schools) and 2) my kid is taking one of the Pol Sci classes this semester (not to be confused with just POL which is political science) to satisfy his core science requirement…apparently the intro class is basic (so he claims)….

in the part of the country i’m from Fisheries and Wildlife major was more popular i think than pol sci……

#240579 Reply
    Participant
    A kid with bad grades that works hard will keep funding. A kid with bad grades because they don’t try will get funding pulled.

Click to expand…

I find it interesting how school’s hide behind ‘privacy’ when it come to things like grades.  These schools would have parents believe there should be no connection between paying for a school and a student’s grades.  Funding for our children’s education via the 529 is definitely effort/grade dependent.

#240583 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    wonka31 wonka31 
    Participant

I guess FLP is lucky. Kids have been accepted early decision to Harvard class of 2027 and 2028 and they are accepting early full tuition payment for four years at current tuition rate.

Click to expand…

Are you sure that’s not EntrepreneurMD’s kids???

#240585 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Are you sure that’s not EntrepreneurMD’s kids???

Click to expand…

A fatpig can dream right?

#240586 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Participant
    A kid with bad grades that works hard will keep funding. A kid with bad grades because they don’t try will get funding pulled.

Click to expand…

I suspect this determination may be harder to make than you think.

#240594 Reply
    Liked by ENT Doc
    Participant
    I find it interesting how school’s hide behind ‘privacy’ when it come to things like grades.

Click to expand…

yup. you have no access to student records…but you can get an access code to the bill pay site as a parent….

#240598 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

poultry science?

Click to expand…

Degrees in poultry science, animal science, agricultural economics and so forth are in high demand. Couple an agricultural degree with a major in Math, Econometrics, Finance and you have a winning combination.

#240601 Reply

Reply To: Public vs Private College

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear