Menu

PSA: It's another good day to TLH international

Home General Investing PSA: It's another good day to TLH international

• Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

Re: the 60 day issue

So if I bought shares in August and got dividends in Sept, I can avoid this by not selling the shares I bought in August?

Click to expand…

This is correct.

#156373 Reply
    Tom Kazansky Tom Kazansky 
    Participant

I’m getting hung up on some of the wash sale details.  Here’s the situation:

My taxable: Vanguard Total Intl (VXUS).  Made a purchase Oct 4th

Spouse taxable: Vanguard Total Intl (VTIAX). Dividend reinvested late Sept.

Spouse Roth IRA: Vanguard Total Intl (VGTSX). Dividend reinvested late Sept.

I turned off auto dividend reinvesting a couple days ago.

I was under the impression I need to wait 30 days after Oct 4th to TLH, but feel like I’ve read other posts saying it is possible if you sell all shares?

Not fully clear on “replacement shares”, hoping for some help.

Thanks

#156395 Reply
     jacoavlu 

You don’t have to wait. But if you don’t sell all the holdings, then you’ll have replacement shares (shares still owned, purchased within 30 days of the loss harvesting sale). Because VXUS, VTIAX, and VGTSX would all be substantially identical, in my opinion.

The Finance Buff's solo 401k contribution spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/6cZKVA

#156396 Reply
     Peds 
    Participant

My taxable: Vanguard Total Intl (VXUS).  Made a purchase Oct 4th

Spouse taxable: Vanguard Total Intl (VTIAX). Dividend reinvested late Sept.

Spouse Roth IRA: Vanguard Total Intl (VGTSX). Dividend reinvested late Sept.

I turned off auto dividend reinvesting a couple days ago.

I was under the impression I need to wait 30 days after Oct 4th to TLH, but feel like I’ve read other posts saying it is possible if you sell all shares?

Not fully clear on “replacement shares”, hoping for some help.

Thanks

Click to expand…

– you can sell all VXUS and VTIAX anytime you like. however the dividends from VGTSX likely will be disallowed (aka a wash sale). not a huge deal depending on the loss, and size of dividends. again, it gets put back into your cost basis so not end of the world.

– since they all track the same index, its hard to argue they are not identical.

– may i suggest a joint taxable account? way easier to deal with….

#156428 Reply
     jacoavlu 

After my VXUS-IXUS exchange to harvest (more) losses, then international kept going down and I was going to exchange again for VEA+VWO. In this I learned E*TRADE will charge a $20 trade fee on the commission free etfs (IXUS being one) if you sell within 30 days of the buy. And probably vice versa.

I’m so fee averse I didn’t harvest the $4500 losses because of the fee haha. Partly also because I prefer the one fund simplicity. We’ll see what Monday brings.

#157044 Reply
    Liked by Peds
     Peds 
    Participant

After my VXUS-IXUS exchange to harvest (more) losses, then international kept going down and I was going to exchange again for VEA+VWO. In this I learned E*TRADE will charge a $20 trade fee on the commission free etfs (IXUS being one) if you sell within 30 days of the buy. And probably vice versa.

I’m so fee averse I didn’t harvest the $4500 losses because of the fee haha. Partly also because I prefer the one fund simplicity. We’ll see what Monday brings.

Click to expand…

true i prob would have avoided the fee as well. 20 is steep these days. for something like 5, would have been totally worth it on 6 figures.

#157076 Reply
     jacoavlu 

and again today, TLH international. Past few months choppiness have harvested losses equal to more than 10% of the value of my taxable international holdings. Had to use tertiary fund choices this time.

#158091 Reply
     childay 
    Participant

TLH today VEA to IEFA

#159288 Reply
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

Folks in the Fidelity environment (ie. me) can use the new zero expense ratio Fido international index fund (FZILX) as a TLH partner. 🙂

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#159296 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

Not just international any more.  TLH’d VIOV bought in May, and some domestic stocks purchased as far back as February are down for me.  This was more fun the first time.

#159300 Reply
    Liked by jhwkr542, childay
     childay 
    Participant

Gonna run out TLH partners at this rate..

#159677 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

I’m even worried about using up my free trades for the month.

#159690 Reply
     jacoavlu 
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

yeah I’m on to fourth-order TLH partners at this point, having to get creative

#159701 Reply
     Peds 
    Participant

lol its funny seeing everyone go to third/forth/etc partners.

my buy date hasnt come yet.

therefore im doing nothing.

but when that date comes, look out, should be fun.

#159764 Reply
     childay 
    Participant

lol its funny seeing everyone go to third/forth/etc partners.

my buy date hasnt come yet.

therefore im doing nothing.

but when that date comes, look out, should be fun.

Click to expand…

Not following

#159774 Reply

Reply To: PSA: It's another good day to TLH international

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

you're currently offline

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear