Menu

Practice Website

Home Practice Management Practice Website

Participant

I only found a few prior posts on starting a practice website, so wanted to revive the discussion!

In some of my previous posts, I’ve referenced starting a “lean as possible” plastic surgery private practice model. With regards to a website, I’m trying to find out what is reasonable to do on my own vs pay someone else to do. I’m definitely able to do my own Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat (if I chose to use it, not sure yet), social media accounts.

For a website, I know there are places where you can build your own for very minimal cost (pay for domain, and then monthly costs <20, and yearly costs <100 to maintain, etc.) I don’t know if these will be sufficient to support a practice website though. I also don’t want the website to look cheap, but I’ve seen some pretty simple ones that still look good. My goals are to have it provide my practice information (location, map, contact numbers), describe surgical and nonsurgical procedures, have a before/after gallery, have an “about me” section, a section with patient reviews/testimonials, and a small blog. It also needs to be mobile compatible and have sufficient bandwidth for the above photos and maybe even embedded videos.

I’m wondering if for a practice website (especially for cosmetic surgery) do I just need to fork over the $$ and pay a website designer/marketing company to build it? My understanding is on the lowest end that can be start around $2,500 all the way up to $30-50K if you are doing really unique, personal builds. I also know in addition to the upfront cost of site design are monthly maintenance fees, yearly fees, and separate costs for doing SEO.

Anyone in the WCI community started their own website successfully or have advice on practice websites?

#212555 Reply
    ACN ACN 

yourpracticeonline is what I use for my personal website and our group is doing a website also.  For an individual its like $1k per year with a $3k design fee.  So, for you, 1 rhinoplasty to cover it for like 10 years. =D

If you're ever having a bad day, just remember in 1976 Ronald Wayne sold his 10% stake in Apple for $2,300.

#212557 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

This isn’t something I’d want to do myself even though I’ve made websites. I think it’s worth it to pay for a nice theme on WordPress like Divi, especially for a plastics practice where looks are important. Standard themes can be very clunky unless you can code. You’ll need to start learning CSS to further modify and start learning about widgets and add-ons. Is this really what you want to spend your time doing?

#212563 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

I recommend considering how many procedures it would take to pay a pro to create and maintain a professional, unique website that represents the aspirations and ideals for your business. Creating an imaginative, personalized website that represents your practice, how you are unique, how to contact you, etc. etc. is time-consuming and, to me, best left to a professional experienced and successful in doing the same for clients like you.

A good, creative, engaged professional can create tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars of added value to your practice by bringing in new patients and ongoing revenue streams. Can you add that much value by saving a few thousand dollars or is your time better spent honing your skills and doing what you are really good at doing?

Note that I am not saying that this is a homogenous profession. Excellence is achieved not only from creativity but expertise and knowledge. The most successful web designers are also good at running a business and incorporating the other aspects (creativity and expertise), not small unproven startups. Iow, don’t hire your buddy’s teenage internet wiz. Find sites that impress you and seem to represent the personality of the physicians and seek those people out for interviews.

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~ 270-247-0555
    https://fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only/

#212590 Reply
    Participant

Have you not read the lean startup ?
    If you find a barrier, then you find a way around it.
    I did my own website around 7 years ago. It took about 8 hours. I update once or twice a year. It is very easy. I pay around $150 per year. They have all the widgets and website builder on most platforms.
    My wife paid $5000 for her website 7 years ago. Then the person who designed it was hard to locate and every time she wanted to change it she had to contact someone. So she got another one done for another $5000 around 3 years ago. It looks polished but is irritating and not very fast.
    In terms of SEO, many firms do that now.
    I find mine easy to manage because I designed it and if I want to change it, it’s easy to. I’ve incrementally added pages over the years. Compared to my wife’s, I think it looks ok.

#212648 Reply
    Participant

yourpracticeonline is what I use for my personal website and our group is doing a website also.  For an individual its like $1k per year with a $3k design fee.  So, for you, 1 rhinoplasty to cover it for like 10 years. =D

Click to expand…

I’ll look into it. Thanks for the rec!

#213301 Reply
    Participant

This isn’t something I’d want to do myself even though I’ve made websites. I think it’s worth it to pay for a nice theme on WordPress like Divi, especially for a plastics practice where looks are important. Standard themes can be very clunky unless you can code. You’ll need to start learning CSS to further modify and start learning about widgets and add-ons. Is this really what you want to spend your time doing?

Click to expand…

I definitely don’t know coding or web design (nor do I want to learn it!) I had just seen online there are some “easy to build” templated websites however I don’t think they would be sufficient for my needs. Just wanted to float the question out there to get some input..thanks for chiming in!

#213302 Reply
    Participant

I recommend considering how many procedures it would take to pay a pro to create and maintain a professional, unique website that represents the aspirations and ideals for your business. Creating an imaginative, personalized website that represents your practice, how you are unique, how to contact you, etc. etc. is time-consuming and, to me, best left to a professional experienced and successful in doing the same for clients like you.

A good, creative, engaged professional can create tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars of added value to your practice by bringing in new patients and ongoing revenue streams. Can you add that much value by saving a few thousand dollars or is your time better spent honing your skills and doing what you are really good at doing?

Note that I am not saying that this is a homogenous profession. Excellence is achieved not only from creativity but expertise and knowledge. The most successful web designers are also good at running a business and incorporating the other aspects (creativity and expertise), not small unproven startups. Iow, don’t hire your buddy’s teenage internet wiz. Find sites that impress you and seem to represent the personality of the physicians and seek those people out for interviews.

Click to expand…

Hi, thank you for your thoughtful response. I am definitely in agreement with your post. My conundrum is that I am starting out from scratch and am not in a position right now to spend lots of $$ (5-10K+) on a website. I’ve definitely heard the “You have to spend money to make money” which I understand, but trying to learn if there’s a more simple, less costly way to have a functional, quality, and professional website. Appreciate your input!

#213303 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Especially since it’s cosmetic surgery, I wouldn’t cheap out on a website. The clientele you want to attract probably isn’t going to be impressed with a self-built website. I also have a fairly crooked nose so take anything I say about cosmetic surgery with a grain of salt.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#213304 Reply
    Liked by jfoxcpacfp, Hank, fiomi
    Participant

Especially since it’s cosmetic surgery, I wouldn’t cheap out on a website. The clientele you want to attract probably isn’t going to be impressed with a self-built website. I also have a fairly crooked nose so take anything I say about cosmetic surgery with a grain of salt.

Click to expand…

🙂 yes I definitely understand the need for a sleek, professional, aesthetically pleasing website. Just wondering if the only way to get that is to pay $5-10K+ or if there are lower cost options that could still look nice and be functional. So far from what I’ve been reading about and hearing, I don’t think there are many lower cost good options. And I don’t think a “design your own” website is actually going to be an option for a professional practice page…

#213306 Reply
    Participant

In some of my previous posts, I’ve referenced starting a “lean as possible” plastic surgery private practice model. With regards to a website, I’m trying to find out what is reasonable to do on my own vs pay someone else to do. I’m definitely able to do my own Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat (if I chose to use it, not sure yet), social media accounts.

Click to expand…

If an average plastic surgeon salary is $400K/yr, that is how much you should include into your expenses.  There is no lean way to do it because you are expensive.  Every minute, you spend building your practice, it costs $400K/yr + other expenses.  If you become successful, your time is probably worth 1-2M/yr.  SO, I would not worry about $5-10K, I would look at the big picture.  Good luck.

#213350 Reply
    Participant

“yourpracticeonline is what I use for my personal website and our group is doing a website also. For an individual its like $1k per year with a $3k design fee. So, for you, 1 rhinoplasty to cover it for like 10 years. =D”

They have sample pages you can take a look at.
    I stumbled upon two by chance.

This was used for the personal site.
    FirstLastMD.com
    In the bio it lists the group/hospital/academic affiliation.
    It does has appointment requests and all types of stuff. Some groups and organizations appear to use. They work for a very large healthcare group. I see value if your name alone might bring you search hits. Might be a viable solution a more elaborate practice name website.
    Simply check out the site and see if some of the work is satisfactory. Just make sure you own the domain and the website.

#213355 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Agree. For aesthetics, your webpage, SEO, etc…are going to be your number 1 source of referrals and conversions to calls, appts, and surgeries. Marketing is your number one cost and source of new pts, and in aesthetics, the majority of your pts will be “new pts” so you have to constantly spend and theres no way around it. Your site doesnt have to be expensive but it does have to be decent and above the threshold where it turns people away. You probably also want to hire a social media/media person or assign office staff to this to keep up your IG, SC, and FB pages as those can be powerful as well.

I would advise having seen a gazillion sites (feel free to ignore since my opinion), to find some you like and either look at who made it or get your team to do it similarly, and to keep it clean and simple. No one wants to read a 3k essay on your life/training or the medical nuances of one procedure over another (let alone they cant understand it). They want to easily click to their desired procedure, get excited, learn the high points and make an appointment. Pts care primarily about price. You and everyone else wants to pretend its based on your training, expertise, etc…but the most impactful factor on your volume will be price.

If you skimp out here in these areas you will be crushing your growth and future prospects. Recoverable, but this is a super important part of your practice, one of the most in fact.

#213859 Reply
    Liked by jfoxcpacfp, Tim

Reply To: Practice Website

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear