Menu

Practice Loan for Real Estate – Can I write off the interest?

Home Tax Reduction Practice Loan for Real Estate – Can I write off the interest?

Participant

Situation:  My practice has a somewhat separate real estate venture.  They basically own the buildings we work in and some other commercial real estate. As a partner I am buying into this venture.  For simplicity sake, lets assume the buy in is $250K. The practice has loaned me the money at 3% interest. It pays an annual distribution that is more than the cost of the interest – which I pay income tax on.

Over the course of a year I will pay about 3% of 250K this year, or 0.03 * 250,000 = $7500 in interest payments.

Is there any way I can write off this interest as a business expense?  If so, what would I need to do?  Form some kind of business entity hen claim it as a business expense?  Is that possible?

What if I formed a LLC (or some other entity) took out a loan from my bank, paid off the practice loan, then claimed the interest I would be paying to the bank as a business expense?

Any ideas? Thanks

F

#229691 Reply
    Participant

Second one is perfectly legal. I assume there is a way to structure the first one to make it tax efficient for you.

#229786 Reply
    Participant

Thanks for the comment. Anyone else have input on this?  What is the best way to approach this? (apart from just paying it off asap)

F

#230130 Reply

I don’t know the answer to your question. But regarding the bank loan. What kind of rate can you get? Because if you end up with a bank loan of 4 or 5 or more percent that defeats the purpose of overall dollars saved.

The Finance Buff's solo 401k contribution spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/6cZKVA

#230139 Reply
    Participant

I have a similar situation and was told by my accountant this type of interest cannot be written off – But I am not sure if this correct

#230422 Reply

Reply To: Practice Loan for Real Estate – Can I write off the interest?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear