Menu

Porsche Taycan

Home The Lounge Porsche Taycan

Participant

I had put a refundable deposit in for one and was interested, but ended up getting another Tesla. I loved the prototype, back when it was known as the Mission E and the base model was and is still expected to start at under the MSRP of the Panamera. At the time the specs looked good, and it would qualify for the $7500 federal tax rebate so thought it would be a viable alternative to the Model S which will lose all its federal rebate this year. I had purchased one of the early Model 3s for my wife and was planning on getting the Taycan to replace my gas car when the time came.

Fast forward to today and we have absolutely loved the 3. Its a blast to drive, easy to use, and extremely efficient. The supercharger network makes trips around CA super easy. Range is king in an EV and the EPA rated range for the Taycan doesnt look all that great. A new raven S is rated at 370 miles and even our 3 has rated range of 325. You need to drive ideal conditions to get the rated range but even with normal driving we made it from socal to Vegas without a single charge stop and used the hotel Tesla destination charger making the trip cost only the amount of wear and tear of the car. The updates make the car better and better. Was not the biggest fan of the “look” but its grown on me and I would say I would take a Model 3 over the current Model S as its features feel more modern. Loved the Tesla so much I ended up getting a deal I couldn’t refuse for an inventory X from an end of quarter sale and got a P100D X with every single option for nearly half off the original MSRP and still gets the rebates. Porsche has history and incredible fit/finish but Tesla’s are just too much fun despite their shortcomings.

#244712 Reply
    Liked by Nysoz, Peds
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

The Taycan if indeed the price is at least 120k + is just not a tesla competitor at all, its just its own thing. Its just super expensive, no two ways about it.

#244719 Reply
    Participant
    Click to expand…

All those things are trade offs. Model S real life battery tests dont hold up to claims in recent articles. Also, those off the line stats dont matter, how much drag racing do you do in your daily life? The price of that is tesla turns into power save mode almost immediately after a fast acceleration and cant do much at all sustained, as anyone who’s tracked it knows and why porsche crushed the lap time.Tech package isnt advanced its simply irresponsible, anyone can do that they just need to show a general disregard for customer safety (see NTSB release last week).

Click to expand…

what model s battery tests and claims are you talking about? I haven’t seen anything about that recently and would like to read about it. if off the line stats don’t matter, then why do all moderately performance cars report it? it’s true that no one does (or shouldn’t do) a lot of drag racing in daily life, but merging onto the highway and passing cars happens on a daily basis.

the old model s does go into ‘limp mode’ rather quickly but supposedly the new raven model s fixes the overheating issues. tesla is taking a new model s to the nurburgring so we’ll see if they have fixed/improved it or not. the model 3 has no issues with overheating and has completed the nurburgring.

as for the recent negative press about autopilot, everything tesla says about the system says it’s a driver assist and you’re supposed to pay attention and keep your hands on the wheel to intervene if necessary. basically almost all the autopilot crashes I’ve heard about comes down to driver error not paying attention or using the function incorrectly. the latest one talking about crashing into the fire engine, the driver had a full 4 seconds to respond, the car beeped at them, but they didn’t take action until .5 seconds before the crash (from a news article and not the actual report). I think the switch to full self driving and autonomy (especially not paying attention to the car driving) is a lot further away than musk says and I think the whole robi taxi thing a lot further than that if ever. the technology is constantly improving and will be safer than the average to below average driver. how many people do you see doing things they shouldn’t while driving? doing things like texting or reading or eating or applying makeup. my favorite example is that I saw someone driving in the rain while talking on their cell phone with one hand and the other operating a squeegee to see out the front of their car.

as for Porsche, I think they did a great job with the taycan. I was looking into the mission e when it was first announced but have come to like tesla’s mission to promote transition into evs. I don’t think the taycan will really compete with tesla except for the super high end market. The exterior and interior along with fit and finish they did, and will continue to do, a great job. I haven’t priced a Porsche but you supposedly should add another $20k or so due to all the add-ons. at that price, you’re looking at the new tesla roadster price range (if/when it ever goes to production). by your argument about how often people drag race, how often do people track their cars for a 13 mile lap? so why does a nurburgring time matter?

all the new companies coming out with evs is great with the transition to less ice vehicles on the road. it also shows how far ahead tesla is with battery technology and efficiency. they do have problems with service and fit/finish, but those problems are becoming less and less.

#244874 Reply
    Participant

I had put a refundable deposit in for one and was interested, but ended up getting another Tesla. I loved the prototype, back when it was known as the Mission E and the base model was and is still expected to start at under the MSRP of the Panamera. At the time the specs looked good, and it would qualify for the $7500 federal tax rebate so thought it would be a viable alternative to the Model S which will lose all its federal rebate this year. I had purchased one of the early Model 3s for my wife and was planning on getting the Taycan to replace my gas car when the time came.

Fast forward to today and we have absolutely loved the 3. Its a blast to drive, easy to use, and extremely efficient. The supercharger network makes trips around CA super easy. Range is king in an EV and the EPA rated range for the Taycan doesnt look all that great. A new raven S is rated at 370 miles and even our 3 has rated range of 325. You need to drive ideal conditions to get the rated range but even with normal driving we made it from socal to Vegas without a single charge stop and used the hotel Tesla destination charger making the trip cost only the amount of wear and tear of the car. The updates make the car better and better. Was not the biggest fan of the “look” but its grown on me and I would say I would take a Model 3 over the current Model S as its features feel more modern. Loved the Tesla so much I ended up getting a deal I couldn’t refuse for an inventory X from an end of quarter sale and got a P100D X with every single option for nearly half off the original MSRP and still gets the rebates. Porsche has history and incredible fit/finish but Tesla’s are just too much fun despite their shortcomings.

Click to expand…

I’ve only had my model 3 awd for 3 months now or so, but my lifetime efficiency is 215 wh/mi over ~5k miles as of now. so even with my real world driving so far, my 75 kwh battery should last me almost 350 miles instead of the 310 rated. we’ll see how a mild winter effects me, especially charging off a regular 110/120v outlet.

#244877 Reply
    Participant

I think it was a bit silly of Elon Musk to diss Porsche Taycan and then ship a Tesla S to the German track to try and beat Porsche’s time.

I think this Porsche is a niche car and never sell in sufficient volumes to make any impact on Tesla. In fact, they might end up taking a big bite out of their own ICE cars. Whereas I consider Tesla to be a maker of mid range cars in the $40-100K range that drive well, has a long range, good fit and finish, and reliable.

Elon should focus on making his cars more reliable and not have unexpected errors show up on the screen and breakdown on the side of the road. He can certainly improve the fit and finish to at least a higher end Toyota if not a Lexus. And maybe try and improve the range to 400 miles for most of his cars. That will improve his sales much more than trying to compete with Porsche.

#244878 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

Porsche already had deposits down for the first year of production at most dealers.  I hope they can roll out the base model quickly.  The Taycan will be Porsche’s entry into the market, they are rumored to be making an electric Macan for the next generation.  That will be much more mainstream.

#244880 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

On mobile so cant quote, but the reason supercars quote it is because that’s something gear heads look at, whether or not it has any practical value, like the off road features of a lexus SUV, never to be used.

There is no difference in these two times practically and even less important as evs have instant torque. Theyll basically perform similarly.

I dont worry about what is essentially supercar levels of performance, especially for regular cars, its unnecessary and definitely not what I am looking for, though others care for sure,

#244885 Reply
    Liked by Kamban
    Participant

especially charging off a regular 110/120v outlet.

Click to expand…

The change to a 240V has made the biggest impact on use of Tesla. We had a few days with a 110V charger and god, it was awfully slow. Luckily the breaker panel was in the outer wall of our garage and I have an electrician as a patient. For < $100 I had a NEMA 14-50 receptacle installed below the panel and got the $35 adapter for that plug from Tesla.  We now get to 80% charge ( our max that we set for in city use) within a few hours.

#244894 Reply
    Participant

evs have instant torque.

Click to expand…

I find this to be the most important thing I like in an EV

I would wait and wait to find a decent gap to make a left turn in a 4 lane road with no center lane and also having a cement divider instead. Now I just need to have my 2 left lanes clear and have a bit of space in the merging lanes and I just zoom in. The traffic coming in my merging lane is surprised to see a low end Tesla behaving like a Ferrari.

It also helps in the frontage road like exits where there is always incoming traffic to get on the Interstate whereas I am try to get to my exit and get out. So I stay in the left lane while all the riff-raff occurs in the other lane, and when my exit comes I just zoom ahead and get into the right lane and exit out. Just amazing.

#244921 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    childay childay 
    Participant
    It also helps in the frontage road like exits where there is always incoming traffic to get on the Interstate whereas I am try to get to my exit and get out. So I stay in the left lane while all the riff-raff occurs in the other lane, and when my exit comes I just zoom ahead and get into the right lane and exit out. Just amazing.

Click to expand…

So that was you I was flipping off!

#244935 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis, Kamban
    Participant

especially charging off a regular 110/120v outlet.

Click to expand…

The change to a 240V has made the biggest impact on use of Tesla. We had a few days with a 110V charger and god, it was awfully slow. Luckily the breaker panel was in the outer wall of our garage and I have an electrician as a patient. For < $100 I had a NEMA 14-50 receptacle installed below the panel and got the $35 adapter for that plug from Tesla.  We now get to 80% charge ( our max that we set for in city use) within a few hours.

Click to expand…

Yeah my situation is far from ideal. Breaker box is on the other side of the house so it’s either up 2 stories into the attic and down into garage which would require a few holes in drywall or digging a trench around the back of the house. Both runs would be around 120-140 feet.

first quote was $4500 from a random electrician company. I did find a nurse that was married to an electrician. Even with them, it would be ~$1600. With my fiancée possibly wanting to move in a couple years I didn’t find it was worth it for my current commute/needs and the regular outlet working just fine so far. I’ve tried to find winter effects on charging rates but haven’t found numbers. The coldest it gets here is around 30 with maybe 1-2 days a snow.

im wondering about switching the outlet out for a 5-20 or 6-15 and still waiting on an answer for that

#244940 Reply
    Craigy Craigy 
    Participant

The Taycan if indeed the price is at least 120k + is just not a tesla competitor at all, its just its own thing. Its just super expensive, no two ways about it.

Click to expand…

I think you can spend six figures on a tesla S or X?  No doubt this will grab many affluent buyers who want the latest thing after owning a tesla S.

For many though, even a model 3 is still an extra novelty car in the lineup.

LEVEL 1 WCI FORUM MEMBER.

#244942 Reply
    NaOH NaOH 
    Participant

Right now they have the turbo and turbo s (even though turbo is not a thing on an electric car).

Click to expand…

Not gonna lie, this bugs the hell out of me.

"Don't fear failure - not failure, but low aim, is the crime.
    In great attempts it is glorious even to fail."

#245062 Reply

So base will be 88.5K.
    Can’t imagine how much will be missing…

#245113 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

So base will be 88.5K.
    Can’t imagine how much will be missing…

Click to expand…

Almost 50% it seems.

#245146 Reply
    Liked by Peds

Reply To: Porsche Taycan

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear