Menu

Porsche Taycan

Home The Lounge Porsche Taycan

• Dreamgiver Dreamgiver 
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

No round headlights=no Porsche. That is some crazy price. My dream remains a post-996 model 911

#244303 Reply
    Participant

I wish folks on this forum were as passionate about whisky as they are about cars!  😉

Click to expand…

I thought we had a single malt thread

#244305 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    IlliniGopher IlliniGopher 
    Participant

A couple years ago, I worked on finding my favorite $60 bottles. Understand now I don’t like too peaty. Tried about 12 different and narrowed it down to my two favs after some damage to my liver.

Macallan 12 – smoky, sweet
    Oban 12 – a little peatier but still sweet

I can’t justify the $200+ range (yet)

"Comparison is the thief of joy." - Teddy Roosevelt

#244307 Reply
    Liked by Hank, ENT Doc
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Big fan of High West myself, mostly blending other brands, but seems to turn out nicely.

#244331 Reply
    Liked by Craigy
    White.Beard.Doc White.Beard.Doc 
    Participant

Has anyone gone for a test drive?  Are they even in showrooms yet?

Please report back if/when you have driven one.

#244374 Reply
    ACN ACN 

I believe most believed the car was going to start around 75k to compete with tesla. 150k is a joke.

Now, hopefully this continues to cause other companies to push the limits. I’d love to have a PORSHE interior in a model s.

The model 3 is terrible looking, back seat sucks. And tesla has a quality control issue.

If you're ever having a bad day, just remember in 1976 Ronald Wayne sold his 10% stake in Apple for $2,300.

#244379 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

Porsche smorsch. This thread has turned whiskey. Good value used to be Buffalo Trace and Oban 12. No more. Ardbeg Uigeadail is some solid stuff but bring your Pepcid.

#244381 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis, Zaphod, G
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

I dont drink much scotch but that sounds interesting.

#244415 Reply
    Hank Hank 
    A couple years ago, I worked on finding my favorite $60 bottles. Understand now I don’t like too peaty. Tried about 12 different and narrowed it down to my two favs after some damage to my liver. Macallan 12 – smoky, sweet Oban 12 – a little peatier but still sweet

Click to expand…

You sir, are a man with fine taste for the price in question.

Thoughts on Highland Park?

#244417 Reply
    Participant

A couple years ago, I worked on finding my favorite $60 bottles. Understand now I don’t like too peaty. Tried about 12 different and narrowed it down to my two favs after some damage to my liver.

Macallan 12 – smoky, sweet
    Oban 12 – a little peatier but still sweet

I can’t justify the $200+ range (yet)

Click to expand…

Given that limited description: try the Balvenie 12 yo single barrel.  It tastes like a significantly older and more expensive whisky, plus it has the cachet of being a single malt from a single barrel.  (If you happen to be traveling international, my recommendation would be to try their triple cask; 25 would be the one to get, but 16 would be closer price target; skip the 12).

And speaking of single barrels, try Evan Williams Single Barrel.  Obv it’s a bourbon; not at all complex, but extremely smooth and sweet.  Do not let the cost give you preconceptions of quality.

Thoughts on Highland Park?

Click to expand…

to me, they tend to be a little bit smokier, less sweet.  it is a whisky that I would drink in the vicinity of grilled red meat.  I can’t recall too much difference between 12 and 18.  I’m a bit lost with all their other labels.  I have a 50 yo on my dream list…seems like a bargain compared to some other 50 yo choices.

#244436 Reply
    Liked by ENT Doc
    Participant

luxury cars are a waste of money.  I’m not aware of any study stating that a porche will get you farther in life then a honda civic.   One of my dialysis nurses drives a porche to work every day.   I’m not sure if he realizes that he could not have to work a year earlier if he drove a normal car.

#244589 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

luxury cars are a waste of money.  I’m not aware of any study stating that a porche will get you farther in life then a honda civic.   One of my dialysis nurses drives a porche to work every day.   I’m not sure if he realizes that he could not have to work a year earlier if he drove a normal car.

Click to expand…

The same can be said for larger houses or expensive clothes or name brand food or…

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#244593 Reply
    Participant

#244621 Reply
    Participant

I would never buy it but it looks pretty sweet, I’ve always liked the look of the Panamara.  It’s a car tuned for the track, but will still be comfortable on the road.  Unfortunately, it’s also a car that costs twice as much as the Model S, but is slower off the line, has less range, and will likely have a less advanced tech package.  All this, and the Model S was introduced in 2012-13.

Makes you realize how far ahead Tesla is of every other car manufacturer when it comes to electric cars.  The fact that Porsche is even releasing an all electric car is a testament to Tesla as a technology (plus the already released ETron and iPace).

#244632 Reply
    Liked by Nysoz
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

I would never buy it but it looks pretty sweet, I’ve always liked the look of the Panamara.  It’s a car tuned for the track, but will still be comfortable on the road.  Unfortunately, it’s also a car that costs twice as much as the Model S, but is slower off the line, has less range, and will likely have a less advanced tech package.  All this, and the Model S was introduced in 2012-13.

Makes you realize how far ahead Tesla is of every other car manufacturer when it comes to electric cars.  The fact that Porsche is even releasing an all electric car is a testament to Tesla as a technology (plus the already released ETron and iPace).

Click to expand…

All those things are trade offs. Model S real life battery tests dont hold up to claims in recent articles. Also, those off the line stats dont matter, how much drag racing do you do in your daily life? The price of that is tesla turns into power save mode almost immediately after a fast acceleration and cant do much at all sustained, as anyone who’s tracked it knows and why porsche crushed the lap time.

Tech package isnt advanced its simply irresponsible, anyone can do that they just need to show a general disregard for customer safety (see NTSB release last week).

#244681 Reply
    Liked by q-school

Reply To: Porsche Taycan

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear