Menu

Poop testing

Home The Lounge Poop testing

Participant

https://www.geekwire.com/2019/microbiome-startup-viome-lands-25m-funding-investors-including-salesforce-ceo-marc-benioff/

It’s clear that people here don’t care for stem cell therapy. How do feel about the gut microbiome testing companies that are hoping prevent chronic disease and cancer?

I think it will be a while (if ever) before they can do what they want, but to get there, they need data. Maybe if they were paying me for my poop I would do it, but it doesn’t it doesn’t seem worth the cost at this point.

Viome total funding is now $45mil

From the article:
    “We are now doing a bunch of clinical studies with 15 or so separate diseases,” said Jain. The aim of the studies, which are looking at diseases as wide-ranging as insomnia and pancreatic cancer, is to “understand exactly what’s happening inside the human body so that we can predict, prevent and reverse chronic diseases,” he said.

These claims have drawn criticism. Jonathan Eisen, a professor at UC Davis, called Viome the “Theranos of the microbiome world” on Twitter last year, referencing Elizabeth Holmes’ blood testing startup that became infamous for false claims about its technology.
    “My issue with Viome was overstating the state of the science,” Eisen told GeekWire. “There’s no scientific support for any of their tools.”

#229382 Reply
    Participant

Well there’s no scientific support for a lot of things, until there is.

I think the problem with theranos is that they lied. I have no problem with venture capitalists pouring money into questionable scientific pursuits, but you gotta be straight up about your results. Chasing questionable things is how we advance as a field.

Not saying their idea but makes sense but who is to say it doesn’t or they couldn’t find some kind of link with a certain disease or condition? Just like there are a million guitar players to every John Mayer there are a bunch of people with nonsense ideas for every gamechanger. But they all seem like nonsense from the beginning.

#229383 Reply
    Participant

I’ve been to a few meetings the last few years where people talk about the gut microbiome like it’s a revolutionary jaw dropping subject. Omg who would have thought that what you eat affects the bacteria in your colon and that would affect your overall health!

This seems like it will cater to the worried well with deep pockets who already eat pretty well and stress about whether they should be eating more broccoli vs. spinach. Meanwhile the rest of the population who just eats a steady diet of processed crap will continue to do so.

#229388 Reply
    Participant

Agreed Anne. Just giving someone their microbiome data does not mean their behavior will change.

#229392 Reply
    Liked by Anne
    Participant

As someone who suffers from ulcerative colitis, this is intriguing to me. There is a researcher in Australia who has proposed a theory that UC is actually a bacterial infection. Anything that would help to get closer to a cure for this horrific disease would be fine in my book.

#229395 Reply
    The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor 
    Keymaster

As someone who suffers from ulcerative colitis, this is intriguing to me. There is a researcher in Australia who has proposed a theory that UC is actually a bacterial infection. Anything that would help to get closer to a cure for this horrific disease would be fine in my book.

Click to expand…

Seems silly, but it did for PUD for a long time too….

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#229397 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

I would not advise experimenting on yourself

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#229403 Reply
    Participant

@lordosis, What’s wrong with a little self experimentation, especially if it’s noninvasive, as in this case?

#229406 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Marshall had to drink the h pylori to get it to his stomach.
    I do not think it would be so easy to inoculate yourself to experiment for UC…

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#229429 Reply

Reply To: Poop testing

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear