Menu
The forum is temporarily closed for new topics and comments. We are working on improving your forum experience. Stay tuned!

Personal Capital

Home Financial Advisors Personal Capital

Participant

There have been a couple other posts on the topic, but wanted to see if there are any new opinions.  I just finished my phone conversation with the Personal Capital advisor/salesman.  It was very informative and quite convincing.  I’m currently using a buy and hold strategy with Vanguard index funds.  The Personal Capital guy showed me a bunch of graphs to explain how their strategy will easily beat a vanguard index fund buy and hold strategy both in annualized return (post fee) and tax drag. He made it sound very tempting.  Just wanted to get some opinions from others that know about the Personal Capital strategy.  Is it worth the cost (just under 1% AUM)?  Does it work?

#180019 Reply

Ha.

Keep learning.

#180053 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

You think Personal Capital is the only investment sales representative who can put a fancy graph together that explains how their strategy will easily beat Vanguard buy and hold index funds after fees?  If not, can you explain what makes them more trustworthy than the Edward Jones or NWM guys down the street?

I can put a graph together telling you how my recommended portfolio of Bitcoin, Beanie Babies, and oil ventures will double the returns of the three fund portfolio for the next five years.  That doesn’t mean it will actually happen.

#180057 Reply
    Liked by Hank, hatton1, Kamban, Peds
    Participant

Use Personal Capital to monitor your net worth, asset allocation, etc. Manage your own investments with buy and hold index mutual funds.

#180060 Reply
    Participant

Just under 1% AUM.
    Redefines the concept of in-app purchases.

#180075 Reply
    Liked by childay
    Participant

I accidentally answered a call from them a couple days ago. Quickly found a reason to get off the phone.

Keep reading WCI, and if you decide not to manage your investments yourself, read the advice for how to hire a good financial advisor. You can get good advice for far less than what just under 1% AUM would cost you over the long term.

#180076 Reply
    Liked by hatton1, Peds
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Is this a troll post?

#180078 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Can they beat buy and hold, possible. Is it worth 1% aum, very unlikely. I can beat buy and hold, thats no big deal. Let me introduce you to my double edged friend called leverage, concentration and beta. “cuts like a knife”

#180090 Reply
    Live Free MD Live Free MD 
    Participant

I had a conversation with a Personal Capital advisor a few weeks ago.

Since they are so confident that they can beat the index, here is the arrangement I proposed:

1. If they exactly match the index portfolio, I pay them nothing and they pay me nothing.

2. If they beat the index, I give them 50% of the amount by which they beat the index.

3. If they lag the index, they pay me 100% of the amount by which they lag the index (so I still achieve index returns).

They didn’t think that was a very good deal.  Probably because they aren’t actually certain they can beat the index.

Sports Medicine Physician. Athlete. Big Mountain Enthusiast. Blogger at http://www.LiveFreeMD.com

Participant

Use Personal Capital to monitor your net worth, asset allocation, etc. Manage your own investments with buy and hold index mutual funds.

Click to expand…

I know WCI, POF, and apparently many who post here use Personal Capital this way, but I don’t understand why. I just use Vanguard to track the asset allocation of my investments. If you have nonVanguard accounts you can link them.

Now, I also don’t see a lot of value in tracking total net worth (as in adding my real estate investments to my index funds, or including my checking accounts), so I suppose if you do want that having a linked site like PC might be useful. But I can do that in my head. Or, build a spreadsheet.

But, honest question, why even bother to use PC for tracking at all? Given the number of recent comments on their aggressive sales behavior, it seems to me the squeeze isn’t worth the juice.

#180101 Reply
    Liked by dayman
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

I had a conversation with a Personal Capital advisor a few weeks ago.

Since they are so confident that they can beat the index, here is the arrangement I proposed:

1. If they exactly match the index portfolio, I pay them nothing and they pay me nothing.

2. If they beat the index, I give them 50% of the amount by which they beat the index.

3. If they lag the index, they pay me 100% of the amount by which they lag the index (so I still achieve index returns).

They didn’t think that was a very good deal.  Probably because they aren’t actually certain they can beat the index.

Click to expand…

solid.

#180103 Reply
    Drop it into MD Drop it into MD 
    Participant

Is this a troll post?

Click to expand…

If it is there will be little sympathy here.

When I talked with them last month I asked if they could show me any other time frames that their method would beat the index.  In short the answer was no.

It is a silly idea to try to balance the sectors.  There is no reason that method would perform any better then trying to balance the states the companies are based in.  Or any other ridiculous grouping.

Also they say that they are indexing but they pick you a portfolio of 120 stocks.  I cannot figure out why they could consider that indexing.

I could go on and on but that is enough reason for me to continue to manage my own money.

However I do find the platform a nice way to track net worth and my different accounts.  It is also nice to track my spending since I can see my CC and bank account.  I feel that it has brought me into reality with how much I truly spend.  I have gone from calling myself frugal (which I am not anymore) to saying that I live within my means.

#180115 Reply
    Liked by hatton1
    Participant

Click to expand…

I know WCI, POF, and apparently many who post here use Personal Capital this way, but I don’t understand why. I just use Vanguard to track the asset allocation of my investments. If you have nonVanguard accounts you can link them.

Now, I also don’t see a lot of value in tracking total net worth (as in adding my real estate investments to my index funds, or including my checking accounts), so I suppose if you do want that having a linked site like PC might be useful. But I can do that in my head. Or, build a spreadsheet.

But, honest question, why even bother to use PC for tracking at all? Given the number of recent comments on their aggressive sales behavior, it seems to me the squeeze isn’t worth the juice.

Click to expand…

I have been using Personal Capital for monitoring almost since its inception. I’ve never had a “session” with one of their advisors. I typically get a cold call offering to review my portfolio a couple of times per year. I always politely decline to set up an appointment. Thus avoiding any sales tactics, aggressive or otherwise.

#180125 Reply
    Participant

I deleted my Personal Capital account Jan 1. Partially to avoid their ads and sales pitches, partially because I didn’t think it was necessary or particularly healthy to have a button in my pocket allowing me to see my net worth at all times. Will try to just check investment account balances monthly or quarterly in 2019.

#180153 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

I spend about $70-100 every 3 years for Quicken and it not only keeps tracks of all my investments and spending it also helps me tremendously during tax time. The $33/year is well worth avoiding ads and cold calls.

#180200 Reply

Reply To: Personal Capital

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear