Menu

personal capital

Home Financial Advisors personal capital

• Drop it into MD Drop it into MD 
    Participant

This is bad advice.  They use two-factor identification and you need to be able to get a text to login from a different computer than usual or after a prolonged time since login.

Click to expand…

I thought the same thing.  The phone calls are annoying but it is by far the minority of the annoying phone calls that I get.  Seriously I get 2-3 robo calls most days.  PC calling me once a month is not that big of a deal.  I can continue to blow them off like I do my med school and the red cross.  (I do donate blood regularly I just do not like to sign up ahead of time)

#173649 Reply
    PhysicianOnFIRE PhysicianOnFIRE 

I sat through the presentation out of curiosity and to show the advisor I know what I’m doing and am comfortable managing the portfolio myself. I haven’t received a phone call since and the only emails I get are the generic ones PC sends out to everyone on their mailing list.

As mentioned, they’ll buy stocks and funds to give you equal sector weighting within the US stock portion of your portfolio. You can do this cheaper on your own with an ETF if you want to follow this strategy.

I recommend going through the call. Show them you know a thing or two and you may never hear from them again.

40-something anesthesiologist and personal finance blogger @ https://physicianonfire.com [Part of the WCI Network] Find me on Twitter: @physicianonfire

FIRE. Financial Independence. Retire Early.

#173666 Reply
    Participant

they only called me once and i told them not to call me and they haven’t called me since. this is almost 2 years now.

#173667 Reply
    childay childay 
    Participant

I ignored them for several years, and like someone else mentioned they did apparently quit calling.  Didn’t realize it until this thread

#173675 Reply
    Drop it into MD Drop it into MD 
    Participant

I sat through the presentation out of curiosity and to show the advisor I know what I’m doing and am comfortable managing the portfolio myself. I haven’t received a phone call since and the only emails I get are the generic ones PC sends out to everyone on their mailing list.

As mentioned, they’ll buy stocks and funds to give you equal sector weighting within the US stock portion of your portfolio. You can do this cheaper on your own with an ETF if you want to follow this strategy.

I recommend going through the call. Show them you know a thing or two and you may never hear from them again.

Click to expand…

That is my plan.  I really do not understand why equal sector weighting would be better then cap weighting but I agree if I wanted it I would just buy into the fund myself for a much lower fee.  They are betting on their strategy winning but it would have to win by a margin greater then the fees to help me at all.

Also let me say thank you for recommending the platform in your posts.  I have found it very helpful and I appreciated your positive reviews of it.

#173678 Reply
    Participant
    I’m very thankful for their website, but don’t waste your time talking with one of their advisors (aka sales people).

Click to expand…

You can actually say “no thank you”. It really did work for me. I still can use the website and receive emails that sometimes are interesting. I can also put them on the spam list so it goes to the spam folder.

#173682 Reply
    Participant

I still stand by my ‘Change your phone number’ statement. It hasn’t caused any problems for me and I was thankful to lose one of the many annoying phone calls I get on a regular basis.

#173785 Reply
    Participant

I spoke PC today.  Just information gathering.  Set up the second phone call.  I asked about their investment philosophy and it is equal sector weighting.  What a silly way to invest.  I do not plan to go along with it but I am going to hear them out.  I will give any useful updates here.

#174024 Reply
    Participant

Those of you who have done this as well will not be surprised because it was exactly as you told me.    He kept calling his sector weighting as a smart indexing.  I really do not understand why he considers what they do as indexing.  They are active management plain and simple.  For US stocks they buys 100-120 individual stocks and try to weight the sectors evenly.  I have no idea why.  I asked if they could weight the stocks evenly by the CEOs favorite color.  I figured it would have the same effect.  He did not appreciate the comment as you might imagine.  I do admit they were better then every other FA I have interviewed but that is not saying much.  DIY with low cost index funds just makes too much sense.

Hopefully they leave me alone now.

Thanks for the help everyone.

#175789 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Those of you who have done this as well will not be surprised because it was exactly as you told me.    He kept calling his sector weighting as a smart indexing.  I really do not understand why he considers what they do as indexing.  They are active management plain and simple.  For US stocks they buys 100-120 individual stocks and try to weight the sectors evenly.  I have no idea why.  I asked if they could weight the stocks evenly by the CEOs favorite color.  I figured it would have the same effect.  He did not appreciate the comment as you might imagine.  I do admit they were better then every other FA I have interviewed but that is not saying much.  DIY with low cost index funds just makes too much sense.

Hopefully they leave me alone now.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Click to expand…

They call it indexing because indexing is the “safe” word that puts investors at ease, as long as you put whatever super risky play into an ‘index’ its passive and okay. Easier to sell.

#175820 Reply
    Participant

I agree that is why they call it that.  But what they are doing is active management.  Calling it indexing is not just a bend in the truth it is a bold face lie.

#175930 Reply

Reply To: personal capital

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

you're currently offline

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear